TRANSCRIPTS: Bruce Arians, Tyrann Mathieu - Conference Calls w/ St. Louis Media - 12/2/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians – Conference Call w/ St. Louis Media – 12/2/15

(On losing RB Chris Johnson and having RBs David Johnson and Kerwynn Williams step up in his place)
“Yeah, we feel terrible for Chris because he was having such a great comeback year and was a pivotal part of our team. We feel like we always believe in the next man up. (RB) Andre Ellington is also suffering from a turf toe, so we don’t know of his availability. But, David and Kerwynn and (RB) Stepfan (Taylor) will carry the load.”

(On if he still believes he is going to be able to put up points like he has been with the offense)
“We feel very good. (RB) David (Johnson) is more than ready. When (RB) Andre (Ellington) was hurt, he played a bunch in the previous game, although it wasn’t his best game. We feel very confident he’s more than ready and I have all the confidence in (RB) Stepfan (Taylor) and (RB) Kerwynn (Williams).”

(On if he thinks this team has the potential to be his best Arizona team)
“Yes, it does because we’ve got both quarterbacks this year, knock on wood. That makes a big difference. Our defense is playing solid, but everybody feels better when those quarterbacks are on the field.”

(On if he allows himself to look at the playoff picture this deep in the season)
“Oh no, it’s a week-to-week thing. This is huge. We had a tough division road win against San Francisco and this is a very tough place to play. They’re notoriously good at home and we have to be more than ready for this one.”

(On the resiliency and mental toughness of his team to be battle-tested and come out with a victory)
“In September, we lost two games when we had the ball at the end. Then now, in November, we’ve learned how to win those games and make the plays that it takes to win. I think each team every year has to find its identity. This team has grown and has shown, recently, a good resiliency. When bad things happen, they can turn it around.”

(On what he thinks the identity of his team is right now)
“I think one that plays for 60 minutes and that can overcome anything right now. We’re playing solid on special teams, scoring points offensively and also defensively. But, we know we can get better every week. We still haven’t scratched the surface of how good we can be.”

(On if the Rams are a rivalry)
“Yeah, this is a good game, man. I’ve been going against (Rams Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) for a long time and (Rams Defensive Coordinator) Gregg (Williams). Their coaching staff’s a great staff. I respect the heck out of them. It’s been a great game every time we’ve played since we got here. It’s a big division game.”

(On what he takes away from the first meeting with the Rams this season)
“We gave up the third-and-eight touchdown, which is unlikely for us. That started us in the hole. We never got out of it. Then, we had a chance to get the field goal at the end and we didn’t make the plays.”

(On if he’s surprised at the maturity S Tyrann Mathieu has shown)
“No, not at all. When we drafted him, I felt the risk was very low after I got to know him and that the reward was going to be extremely high because of his passion for the game and the way he prepares. He knew he made a mistake. He admitted to his mistakes. We felt like he was a mature man that was ready for a second chance. Probably my favorite draft choice because of what he has accomplished.”

(On the skills Mathieu brings to the table that are unique to him)
“He’s got unbelievable ball skills. He’s not big enough. He’s not fast enough. But, he makes all the plays. He has great instincts, but he really studies the game. He just has that knack to always be around the ball.”

(On if he still sees room for improvement for Mathieu)
“Oh yes. He gave up a touchdown pass and probably cost him his game ball.”

(On Mathieu bringing positional versatility and if that’s true of several players in his secondary)
“Yes, we’re very fortunate in that we can move guys around back there that can play corner, nickel and safety. It’s a big loss for not having (CB) Jerraud Powers who’s really the glue back there. (CB) Justin Bethel will step in and step up.”

(On the challenges of preparing for two quarterbacks and what each brings player to the table)
“I don’t see them changing their scheme. (QB) Case (Keenum) can put it up the field pretty good. We played against him a couple of years back and he had a heck of a ball game. I still think (QB) Nick (Foles) is an excellent player because he does possess the deep ball accuracy. We just have to do a great job of shutting down the run.”

(On if they have a different approach to RB Todd Gurley after seeing how other teams have defended him lately)
“Not really. Same approach. Just stay in your gaps and tackle. He’ll break tackles. You can’t have just one guy. You’ve got to have 10, 11 guys getting to him and stay in your gaps.”

(On if it’s easier to deal with a running back injury compared to a quarterback injury)
“There’s no doubt. You can replace 21 guys, but it’s hard to replace your first and second quarterback.”

(On QB Carson Palmer playing as well as ever)
“He’s playing really, really well. Probably as good as anyone I’ve ever had.”

(On what has made Palmer that way)
“He studies. He really works at it. The guy is a workaholic. He knows how he learns. I think we’ve all learned how he learns, so we can teach him better. That’s why the growing pains when you get an older quarterback and you have to learn really how he learns. I think now we’ve got a system in place where he’s prepared every ball game, and it’s get the other 10 guys around him on the same page with him.”

(On what it takes for a coach like him to get a good partnership with a quarterback)
“You have to have a great trust. You have to have communication every day because you’re tied at the hip. Your job is depending on him. You’ve got to have trust in a relationship, whether it’s honesty going back and forth and accountability back and forth.”

Arizona Cardinals DB Tyrann Mathieu – Conference Call w/St. Louis Media – 12/2/15

(On how well their defense has been playing overall)
“Statistically it seems like we’re playing really good defense. Top five in the league, but I mean, there’s still some little things that we can continue to work on – starting games fast, finishing games, just stopping the run. I thought we did a good job last week against the run. Obviously, this week it’ll be a totally different story facing a totally different monster in (RB Todd) Gurley. So, it’s going to be critical for us to stop the run this week.”

(On what he learned from watching Gurley the first game they played the Rams this season)
“One thing is just not to let up. I think he had negative two (yards) going into halftime. For some reason in the second half, we just didn’t play our assignments the proper way. Getting out of gaps, just creating these large running lanes for Gurley to run through. I mean, obviously, anytime you have a running back with his type of ability, any type of open field, it’s a good deal. So, we have to do a better job of constricting running lanes and definitely having more than one person trying to tackle him.”

(On what he sees from the Rams offense)
“I think the biggest thing, they do a lot of it’s misdirection, a lot of different type of motioning. I think it’s really all designed to get the ball into their playmakers’ hands, so it’s going to be critical, like I said. Especially with (WR) Tavon (Austin) as well, he’s a big part of their run game and their screen game and what they want to do as far as moving the ball down the field. It’s going to be a great challenge for us. One of the best running teams in the league, if you talk about what they can do running the football. Obviously, in the passing game, they love taking their shots and they love the screen game. It’s going to be a good football game, a competitive one, but one where we have to play with our eyes and we all have to be fundamentally sound.”

(On where his ball skills came from)
“Well, I think it comes from just playing offense early on. Growing up, my whole life I pretty much had the ball in my hands. My transition to cornerback my sophomore year in high school, I think that’s kind of where just the ball awareness, kind of anticipating where the ball may go at once you see the formation. I think that all comes from playing offense growing up.”

(On what he considers himself to be now)
“I just like to look at myself as a defensive back. I mean, I do so many different things. I think I’m probably the only one in our secondary that’s played every single position back there, so I just like to be described as a defensive back. It doesn’t have to be anything special.”

(On how much of an issue it was for their defense last time with the Rams scoring using bunch formations)
“Yeah, absolutely. We’re a man-to-man team for the most part, so it’s not like we’re about to be in any type of zones or anything. Teams are going to come in, try to bunch us up, get us to misuse our eyes and our techniques and our different alignments and leverages. I think the biggest thing is to recognize the formation, recognize the bunch formation and just make sure you have your leverage right. I think that on all three of those touchdowns that those guys caught, it was just leverage issues. I know the corner route with me, it was just a leverage issue. Even the two other ones that went to (WR) Tavon (Austin), so it’s going to be critical that we just keep our leverage, maintain our alignment no matter what the formation is.”

(On why the Rams seem to be such a rival for Arizona)
“Well, I think it just comes down to competitive football. Anytime we line up across from the Rams, we know it’s going to be a dog fight. We know it’s most likely going to come down to the last two series. It’s going to be a 60 minute football game. I think that’s where that passion comes from, just trying to get your team fired up. I think everybody understands what type of team the Rams are – very competitive. I mean, they don’t just let you walk over them. We understand what type of team we’re playing. Like I said, it’s a great challenge for us. Anybody in our division, this is probably the toughest division of football when you talk about the type of players that’s in the division and just the overall physicality of it. So, I think it’s going to be critical for us to just be ready to play a 60 minute football game.”

(On how battle tested Arizona is)
“We would like to say that we’ve seen it all. Losing close games, being able to pull through and get through and win close games. We’ve been on both sides of the spectrum. Right now, it’s December. I think it’s really time for us to settle down into our identity, whether we’re a great defense or an average defense or a high-powered offense or an average offense. I think it’s time for us to really settle down and find our identity and just get some momentum going forward. This is a big game for us. It always is, especially when those guys coming into our house Week 4 and beating us. It’s going to be a big game, we’ve just got to be ready.”

(On his life changing when he got drafted)
“Yes, it did. I think it changed for the better. I think I realized the position I was in and the opportunity that was in front of me. I think it was really up to me from that point on to hold myself accountable and be responsible and not take it for granted. I just try to come to work every day with a smile on my face because I am grateful and just really blessed to still have this opportunity because the Cardinals weren’t obligated to give me an opportunity to play again. I just try to come to work every day and repay that back.”

(On what the next man up mentality has been there)
“We’ve been through this the last couple of years. Guys get dinged up. It’s Week 12 in the NFL, a lot of teams are going to start to get dinged up and guys are going start to miss some time. I think it’s critical for guys to prepare as if they were the starters. I think we have a good thing going here. I don’t think too many guys take days off. Our coaches are always harping on being ready, being prepared if your number is called. We’re going to miss ‘JP’ (CB Jerraud Powers) this weekend. We lost some other guys. Speaking of secondary, we’re going to miss ‘JP’, but it’s a great opportunity for (CB Justin) Bethel to step up and show what he can do on the defensive side of the ball. He’s already proving himself as far as the special teamers go. It’s going to be critical for him to step up this week and perform well at the cornerback position.”

(On how they’ve been able to not miss a beat without former Defensive Coordinator Todd Bowles this year)
“I think the biggest thing was we have our same coaching staff that was under ‘Bo’. Most of those guys are still here. Most of our core players are still here as well. Guys like (S) Rashad (Johnson) and (CB) Patrick (Peterson) and (DT) Calais (Campbell). We have a good grip of what’s going on. Our leaders do a great job of keeping everybody accountable and holding everybody accountable. Coach ‘Betch’ (Defensive Coordinator James Bettcher), he isn’t Coach Bowles, but he has his way of doing things and it’s been paying dividends for us.”

(On how OLB Markus Golden is doing)
“I love him. I love his energy. I love his passion. He’s getting to the quarterback for us. That’s something that we definitely need to keep on improving on. We need some other guys to step up and get to the quarterback. Marcus is doing a great job. To say he’s a rookie and he has to learn so much, he’s doing a great job just making football plays.”

(On if he’s glad Les Miles is staying at LSU)
“I am, I am. He was a good coach to me. Great, great guy. Talk about a guy that’s a player’s coach. I think he’s one of those guys. I think it was a good decision to keep him. As soon as they said they were going to fire him, they started to lose some commitments. I think it was a good job to keep him. You look at his track record, he doesn’t have the championships Nick Saban has, but he’s a winner. He gets a lot of those guys to the next level. A bunch of those guys to the next level. I think it was a good decision to keep him. I know LSU is dying to get a National Championship.”

(On not being able to shake the ‘Honey Badger’ nickname)
“I can’t. It wasn’t necessarily that I didn’t want to be called the Honey Badger. I just didn’t want it to reflect on a bad time in my life. I was going through a lot. Most of these people out here, they don’t know me by my first name. They only know Honey Badger. I just didn’t want to be reflected on a past situation that was negative. Like you said, I cannot shake it at all.”

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very surprised at theses comments very classy from Mathieu and Arians. Looking forward to a great game