TRANSCRIPT: Schottenheimer, Walton (Post-Practice)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[stl]85b96992-84ab-4d0f-853a-edcfb207c92a[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/OC-Brian-Schottenheimer-Press-Conference/85b96992-84ab-4d0f-853a-edcfb207c92a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... cfb207c92a</a>

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice – June 11, 2013

(On the new faces on offense this season)
“I’m excited with the way the guys are working. We’ve had a great offseason. I mean, just a great offseason, getting a guy like (T) Jake Long and (TE) Jared Cook in free agency and then the draft we had just speaks to (General Manager) Les (Snead) and (Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) and the whole organization and their commitment. I understand why (QB) Sam (Bradford) has a smile on his face for a lot of reasons, obviously the weapons and obviously not having to learn a new system. It’s been a really great offseason. Guys are working hard. It’s been fun to watch them work.”

(On WR Brian Quick’s progress)
“He’s doing a lot better. Last year he actually made some plays when we used him. We used him kind of sparingly a little bit. He’s stepped up this year. He’s just much more comfortable. He’s able to think a little bit. There was a period yesterday where we got some tough looks defensively from the defense and maybe something he would have missed last year, route adjustments and stuff, he nailed. He’s doing really, really well. I think even coming back in training camp and hearing it again will be great for him.”

(On if he’s ever been around an offense that is so young at running back and wide receiver)
“Probably not. It’s kind of exciting. If they weren’t working so hard, if they were struggling a little bit mentally – which I’m sure they’ll have their days – I’d probably be a little bit nervous, but they’re doing really well. Again, Coach (Fisher) helps us by setting up the structure where we can get a chance to visit with these guys and do the installs a couple different times, which certainly helps them. A young group, but a very fast, explosive group, so there’s a tradeoff there.”

(On what a rookie has to do to impress him)
“Certainly just watch some of the playmakers that we’ve had. You see guys making one-handed catches, guys making guys miss out in space, that gets you excited. For me probably as a coach, it’s the attention to detail. It’s them playing hard, playing fast, getting mad if they make a mistake. All of that stuff is exciting. There’s a whole list of guys. You talk about (RB) Zac Stacy, (WR) Tavon Austin, some of the guys that we signed as college free agents, they’re all working hard. We try to do a good job of when they do make mistakes, which they’re going to make mistakes, try to find a positive and then make the correction. Good group of guys, fun to come to work and work with them.”

(On the competition at left guard)
“Chris (Williams) and Shelley (Smith) are rotating. Obviously Rokevious (Watkins) is a guy that we’re going to swing around a little as well. Again, we’ve got two guys that played for us last year. They actually...we went by series if you guys remember the last two games, Tampa Bay and Seattle, and didn’t give up a sack against two pretty good front fours. It’s been fun to watch them compete. They’re both (in their) second year in the system, but both of them actually missed training camp last year because we got them both late. Again, you see they’re leaps and bounds ahead of where they were last year, so that’s making the competition even more fun to watch.”

(On WR Austin Pettis)
“I think if you guys watch him, he does a great job of coaching these young guys. He’s a professional. Quite honestly, he’s probably having the best camp of all the skill players. He’s just a tireless worker. Very competitive. He can play all the spots, which helps. He’s having a tremendous spring.”

(On QB Austin Davis)
“He’s doing good. The thing Austin did last year, he didn’t always know what he was doing, but he did move the team in the preseason and ultimately that’s what you’re trying to get done as a quarterback - to move the team. This year you see him being much faster with his decisions, maybe a little bit more accurate with his throws. He’s got a better feel for what we’re teaching footwork wise. Again, another guy having a good spring.”

(On how he sees the running back situation evolving and if they could use a ‘committee’ approach)
“Absolutely. Right now the competition is let the guys roll a little bit. Daryl (Richardson) and Isaiah (Pead), Zac Stacy is a guy that’s doing great. Terrance Ganaway’s a guy that we like. You need multiple backs in this league. We’re going to try to play to their strengths. With ‘Jack’ (Steven Jackson) last year, it was a little bit different. It was harder to do the committee because every time you took him out, you knew you were missing his leadership and his toughness. This year I think we’ve got nice pieces to try to blend in and differently attack people.”

(On how the rotation will be impacted by the backs’ ability to pass protect)
“That will be the biggest question because obviously ‘Jack’ gave us that. Our defense gives us some really tough looks, which has been good. We ask a lot of our backs, and again, so far, so good, but there will be some things that come up that we’ll just coach them up and show them video. That’s how these guys are going to learn. They’re going to learn by making mistakes and the more that they see now will help them when we get to the season opener.”

(On if he will be challenged to adjust the offense to fit the strengths of the personnel)
“I think we’re still trying to find what our identity is going to be. It’s a work in progress. I think we’re starting to kind of get a feel for it, but nothing’s done yet. That’s the hard part. What personnel groupings? How do they fit? How do you mix pieces around? Who can learn different spots? Who can’t? Then again, working out the competition. It’s a good problem to have, I promise you that. We’re enjoying it. It’s been great.”

[stl]d32a8295-d0f5-4b61-a4ec-ba538599cd97[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/DC-Tim-Walton-Press-Conference/d32a8295-d0f5-4b61-a4ec-ba538599cd97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 538599cd97</a>

Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton – Post-Practice – June 11, 2013

(On how he has adjusted to the team)
“It’s going good. First of all, I’ve got a great group of guys that I’m with, a veteran staff, (Linebackers) Coach (Frank) Bush and (Secondary Coach) Chuck Cecil and (Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle. Those guys are very experienced guys so they made my adjustment pretty easy. You’ve got a lot of leadership on the team with guys like (LB James) Laurinaitis, (DE) Chris Long and (CB) Cortland Finnegan. So they make the adjustment easy for me, the players and coaches. I knew some of the guys before I got here, so it’s been going good.”

(On what the defensive meetings have been like and if everyone pitches their own ideas)
“We have a lot of familiarity anyway from the connections that we’ve had. It’s been an easy transition with that stuff, with terminology and everybody being on the same page. So, the adjustments have been relatively smooth.”

(On LB Alec Ogletree and what he’s seen from him so far)
“We expect big things out of him. He’s a very talented young player that has a big upside. He’s picking up things very well. He has great athletic ability. He’s showing his football intelligence. He’s been able to pick up the schemes and been able to adapt and usually he’s been making plays. He’s got his hands on some balls and things like that. We’re pleased with him and look for big things from him this season.”

(On the defense’s terminology)
“We’re keeping a mixed bag of stuff. Some of the stuff we kept the same and then we have some things we’re tweaking a little bit. Offenses are ever evolving, so you have to do the same thing on defense. A lot of stuff will be a lot of carryover and you’ll just tweak some things here or there to fit some of the personnel we’ve got and then some of the teams that we’ll play.”

(On how similar the defensive terminology in Detroit is to that of St. Louis)
“Very similar. Like I said, it’s a lot of carryover and that’s what’s made the adjustment pretty easy. Then having a great group of guys on the staff to work with that’s very experienced, that makes the transition easier. So, the terminology and the language and that kind of stuff is an easy adjustment.”

(On his expectations for the defensive line considering they lead the NFL in sacks last season)
“That’ll be big and we expect the same type of results. We’re going to try to do the same thing. That’s the strength of our defense. Those guys up front, who have depth up there, and we’re going to try to do things to compliment them because, obviously, offenses are going to try to not let them repeat that. We’re going to keep it going. Obviously, those guys play hard. They chase the ball. That’s the thing we do. They play with great effort. We have 11 guys that chase the ball around here, so they’ll help add to making that job easier for those guys to try to get to the quarterback.”

(On if getting to the quarterback is especially important in the NFC West where there are quarterbacks with mobility)
“No question. It’s important that you can get pressure on them. The good thing that we have, we have a front four that can do it. We have depth at that position. Then we have some linebackers and DBs that can blitz and do things. They can add pressure also to give different looks, to try to not always have to rely on the four-man rush, but we have that as a tool to go to because those guys they can really go.”

(On S T.J. McDonald growing up in football and how that helped him grasp concepts in the NFL)
“He’s been around football all his life and he picks up things very well. It’s a short learning curve for him, but he’s grasping things. You can see his athletic ability. He’s making the transition very well. We’re looking forward to big things out of him and Ogletree – same boat, two young guys that we’re looking to step in and do great things for us. But the football IQ on both of those guys is really good.”

(On his impression on the safeties)
“I’m excited so far. You’ve gotten a chance to see T.J. come in and get a lot of reps right now. He’s been able to step in and pick up things fast. Then you have Rodney McLeod that’s showing a lot of good things. He was on the team last year and showed his athletic ability. I’m impressed by the way guys pick things up, the learning curve of those guys. Then you have (Darian) Stewart, that’s the same way. Those three guys, we think that we’ll have a great group of guys that will be able to help us a lot.”

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
“He’s doing a lot better. Last year he actually made some plays when we used him. We used him kind of sparingly a little bit. He’s stepped up this year. He’s just much more comfortable. He’s able to think a little bit. There was a period yesterday where we got some tough looks defensively from the defense and maybe something he would have missed last year, route adjustments and stuff, he nailed. He’s doing really, really well. I think even coming back in training camp and hearing it again will be great for him.”

If you read between the lines it sounds like Quick is still a work in progress.

“Chris (Williams) and Shelley (Smith) are rotating. Obviously Rokevious (Watkins) is a guy that we’re going to swing around a little as well. Again, we’ve got two guys that played for us last year. They actually...we went by series if you guys remember the last two games, Tampa Bay and Seattle, and didn’t give up a sack against two pretty good front fours. It’s been fun to watch them compete. They’re both (in their) second year in the system, but both of them actually missed training camp last year because we got them both late. Again, you see they’re leaps and bounds ahead of where they were last year, so that’s making the competition even more fun to watch.”

Doesn't sound like he thinks ROK is ready.

(On WR Austin Pettis)
“I think if you guys watch him, he does a great job of coaching these young guys. He’s a professional. Quite honestly, he’s probably having the best camp of all the skill players. He’s just a tireless worker. Very competitive. He can play all the spots, which helps. He’s having a tremendous spring.”

Very encouraging!!!!!!!

(On how he sees the running back situation evolving and if they could use a ‘committee’ approach)
“Absolutely. Right now the competition is let the guys roll a little bit. Daryl (Richardson) and Isaiah (Pead), Zac Stacy is a guy that’s doing great. Terrance Ganaway’s a guy that we like. You need multiple backs in this league. We’re going to try to play to their strengths. With ‘Jack’ (Steven Jackson) last year, it was a little bit different. It was harder to do the committee because every time you took him out, you knew you were missing his leadership and his toughness. This year I think we’ve got nice pieces to try to blend in and differently attack people.”

Notice he didn't mention anything about talent when referring to SJ.

(On if he will be challenged to adjust the offense to fit the strengths of the personnel)
“I think we’re still trying to find what our identity is going to be. It’s a work in progress. I think we’re starting to kind of get a feel for it, but nothing’s done yet. That’s the hard part. What personnel groupings? How do they fit? How do you mix pieces around? Who can learn different spots? Who can’t? Then again, working out the competition. It’s a good problem to have, I promise you that. We’re enjoying it. It’s been great.”

This is where we're gonna see if Schotty has the talent we need.

“I’m excited so far. You’ve gotten a chance to see T.J. come in and get a lot of reps right now. He’s been able to step in and pick up things fast. Then you have Rodney McLeod that’s showing a lot of good things. He was on the team last year and showed his athletic ability. I’m impressed by the way guys pick things up, the learning curve of those guys. Then you have (Darian) Stewart, that’s the same way. Those three guys, we think that we’ll have a great group of guys that will be able to help us a lot.”[/quote]

No mention of Cody? He's had as much time to learn as McD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
lockdnram21 said:
I guess cody isnt turning heads like some people thought
Well, there's just no mention of him yet. And I'm not sure anyone said he'd be turning heads. Just that he'd be in the mix and has some decent potential that shouldn't be flippantly overlooked is all. But more important than that, I just want to convey how important it is that you know we don't do the "I told you so" thing around here. Nobody here is a football savant. These are just opinions we're throwing around.

Capiche?

ZueamNQ.jpg

:ww:

wv

Rookie
X said:
Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice – June 11, 2013

(On the new faces on offense this season)
“I’m excited with the way the guys are working. We’ve had a great offseason. I mean, just a great offseason, getting a guy like (T) Jake Long and (TE) Jared Cook in free agency and then the draft we had just speaks to (General Manager) Les (Snead) and (Head Coach) Jeff (Fisher) and the whole organization and their commitment. I understand why (QB) Sam (Bradford) has a smile on his face for a lot of reasons, obviously the weapons and obviously not having to learn a new system. It’s been a really great offseason. Guys are working hard. It’s been fun to watch them work.”....”

High praise for Pettis. Very nice to hear.

BS is painting a rosy picture so far.

w
v

lockdnram21

Legend
X said:
lockdnram21 said:
I guess cody isnt turning heads like some people thought
Well, there's just no mention of him yet. And I'm not sure anyone said he'd be turning heads. Just that he'd be in the mix and has some decent potential that shouldn't be flippantly overlooked is all. But more important than that, I just want to convey how important it is that you know we don't do the "I told you so" thing around here. Nobody here is a football savant. These are just opinions we're throwing around.

Capiche?

ZueamNQ.jpg

:ww:

I wasnt going to say that

If stewert cant stay healthy I think the safeties will be Mcdonald and Mcleod

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lockdnram21 said:
That's certainly possible. I'd like to think Daniels is also in the hunt though. The reason he wasn't mentioned is because he's still nursing a slight knee injury. Obviously it's gonna take all of these OTAs and all of preseason (even week 4) to find out who starts week one. Plenty of time for the depth chart to change, and I'm sure it will a few times along the way. That's what having so much youth and inexperience does, I suppose. Lets guys compete harder, and while on equal footing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
That's certainly possible. I'd like to think Daniels is also in the hunt though. The reason he wasn't mentioned is because he's still nursing a slight knee injury. Obviously it's gonna take all of these OTAs and all of preseason (even week 4) to find out who starts week one. Plenty of time for the depth chart to change, and I'm sure it will a few times along the way. That's what having so much youth and inexperience does, I suppose. Lets guys compete harder, and while on equal footing.

This ^^^

lockdnram21

Legend
RamFan503 said:
X said:

This ^^^

Daniels is a ss. Imo if any ss plays it will be stewert or mcdonald. Cody davis will probly make the team and be on special teams.I want to see how good mcleod can be

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lockdnram21 said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

This ^^^

Daniels is a ss. Imo if any ss plays it will be stewert or mcdonald. Cody davis will probly make the team and be on special teams.I want to see how good mcleod can be
Well, remember, this team isn't doing the typical SS/FS thing. It sounds like they'll be doing a quarters field sorta thing with their safeties and not so much asking one guy to be a box safety while the other plays center field. I know Daniels is more of a strong safety, but there really isn't any true free safety types on the team either. Coverage skills at this level, for unproven players, isn't a given at all. I guess what I'm continuing to stress here is ... that whole back of the secondary is up for grabs right now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
lockdnram21 said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

This ^^^

I think even Davis thinks that is his best shot to make the team. I do think he will develop into a pretty good starting quality Safety though. Guess we'll see. It will be interesting to see how the safety position shakes out. Still not as down on that position as I was last season. I think all in all, we'll be fine. EVERY team has weaknesses. Ours may be the safety position that we have to help along with other positions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Updated the original post with the videos
(for those who still think reading is for witches)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
lockdnram21 said:

It may take a real game or two in order to settle a couple of roster spots and some depth here and there. I don't think that's out of the ordinary and I'm not implying I am concerned about it. I just think that it's hard to evaluate players sometimes because they aren't facing the top level competition but facing guys like them trying to get on the roster or go from back up to starter or whatever.

Also, going forward I want you to address me as Mr. Savant. Thank you for cooperating. :itson:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
albefree69 said:

If you read between the lines it sounds like Quick is still a work in progress.

Doesn't sound like he thinks ROK is ready.

(On WR Austin Pettis)

Very encouraging!!!!!!!

Notice he didn't mention anything about talent when referring to SJ.

This is where we're gonna see if Schotty has the talent we need.

“I’m excited so far. You’ve gotten a chance to see T.J. come in and get a lot of reps right now. He’s been able to step in and pick up things fast. Then you have Rodney McLeod that’s showing a lot of good things. He was on the team last year and showed his athletic ability. I’m impressed by the way guys pick things up, the learning curve of those guys. Then you have (Darian) Stewart, that’s the same way. Those three guys, we think that we’ll have a great group of guys that will be able to help us a lot.”

No mention of Cody? He's had as much time to learn as McD.

I think talent is already implied and assumed when you are talking about SJ!

And wouldn't that visor Brian Schotty is sporting make a great father's day present?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ramhusker offering to buy me a Rams visor:
I think talent is already implied and assumed when you are talking about SJ!

And wouldn't that visor Brian Schotty is sporting make a great father's day present?

When you look at his previous sentence where he talks about playing the RBs to their strengths and then follows that up my listing some that SJ has that doesn't include talent it makes me wonder.

But I might be reading things that aren't there that's for sure.

Thanks for the offer cause that visor is nice. But I can't accept a gift that expensive.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Something that we should all remember, besides being extremely early, and reps will go to your expected starters first, is that a lot of these answers are in response to questions that we can't always hear. Also, they are answers to questions by reporters, who don't always ask the best or right questions.

We shouldn't expect too much from rookies, their plates are very full at the moment.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
Something that we should all remember, besides being extremely early, and reps will go to your expected starters first, is that a lot of these answers are in response to questions that we can't always hear. Also, they are answers to questions by reporters, who don't always ask the best or right questions.

We shouldn't expect too much from rookies, their plates are very full at the moment.

That's my 2 pennies worth.
Very true, and good pernts.