TRANSCRIPT: Ron Rivera, Luke Kuechly - Conference Call - November 2, 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Panthers Head Coach Ron Rivera – Conference Call – November 2, 2016

(On where the Panthers are right now)
“I think it’s in a good place. Came off a bye, I thought our guys played well last weekend and I think we have an opportunity to build on that.”

(On if he’s surprised that Rams RB Todd Gurley hasn’t gotten going with many big games this season)
“Yeah, again, you just have to watch him every down, then you’ll have an explosive run and you realize and recognize why the guy got the accolades he got last year. He’s a solid football player who’s got a tremendous amount of ability and potential. Right now, it’s just one of those things. It’s kind of like us, we’re struggling to find our footing, and once you get it going, you know it’s going to happen, big time. It’s just a matter of being patient, the team has got to continue to work and grow, that’s the bottom line.”

(On his talk with commissioner Roger Goodell and the situation involving Panthers QB Cam Newton)
“For the most part, Cam had his opportunity to talk with the commissioner and, at the end of the day, we’ll just see how it’s handled on Sunday. Cam’s not trying to find any special treatment, all he wants to do is make sure that, across the board, that the rules are being enforced, and that’s the bottom line. As far as we’re concerned, it’s been pretty much over – he had his opportunity to say what he had to say, the commissioner listened. I had my conversation with the commissioner, he was terrific, and we talked about the things. He was very receptive and very open, and he listened – and that’s the best part about talking with the commissioner, is that he listens to what we have to say. But, at the end of the day, we’ll see what happens on Sunday and we’ll go from there. Like I said, we’re not looking for any calls or anything like that extra, we’re just looking for the rules to be distributed across the board, that’s all.”

(On the differences between this year and last year with his team)
“Not winning games like we did last year. We got ourselves in position to win and we didn’t. Across the board, just a different type of roster right now. We have a group of young guys that have been pressed into service for one reason or the other – that’s probably one of the hard things. The second thing, we lost some veteran leadership, whether it be retirement or moving on to another team – that’s another tough thing that we’ve had to try and replace. And just trying to stay healthy, that’s been a tough thing for us. Hopefully we’re in a good position right now, we can build on our success from last week.”

(On if it helps them that the two wins they have had have come against teams that the Rams have also played)
“Not necessarily. For us, the biggest thing, more than anything else, you try to get things to translate from teams that are similar to what you do. Again, looking at some of the team that are 4-3 fronts, that’s really what you most want to look at, because that’s what we are as a defense. Offensively, for the most part, defenses are going to attack the way they attack, we happen to know that they’re a 4-3 front as well. That’s probably the biggest thing that we look for.”

(On, when he’s looking up at the teams in his division, what is on his mind and what he says to his team about their possibilities)
“The truth of the matter is, if we take care of our business one game at a time, we put ourselves right in position. That’s the biggest thing we have to do, is stay focused on what we have to do. We can’t worry about things we can’t control, but we can most certainly control what we do on Sundays. Let’s focus in on those things, let’s focus in on playing it one game at a time so we can give all of our attention to that.”

(On the key to getting things going and getting to Cardinals QB Carson Palmer last week)
“I think it starts early, if you can have success early in the game, put some points up early in the game. We got off to a 14-0 start right away and that, I think, kind of really accelerated things for us as far as playing offense and playing defensive football. If you have success early, you can, you can control the tempo and the pace of the game. We just have to be able to get a fast start and that’s one thing you try to do. You don’t always have that success, and if you don’t, then you’re in for a slugfest.”

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly – Conference Call – November 2, 2016

(On his thought on the Rams this week)
“I think they have some aspects to their offense that are scary, and that’s when you look at a team as, ‘How can they beat you?’ These guys have the opportunity to make big plays every play. With (WR) Tavon Austin, I think (RB) Todd Gurley is another guy that is very dynamic. You watch those guys, and you get the ball in their hands, they got a chance to take it all the way every play. So, it’s going to be one those things you got to identify where those guys are, and try to make their life difficult.”

(On his thoughts regarding his team this season)
“I think we’re growing, I think guys are working really hard. I think we have a good attitude about us right now, despite kind of the situation we’re in. We have a bunch of good older guys that understands the direction that this team needs to go. We were able to get a good win last week coming off the bye. I think just the prior game experience that some of these guys have had has really helped ourselves moving forward. We’re going to do our best this week, as well.”

(On how the defense will approach Todd Gurley this weekend)
“I think he’s still a dynamic player. He’s big, he’s powerful, he’s explosive. I think he’s a very unique running back that is a challenge for you. He can kind of do a little bit of everything. He’s not just a fast guy, he’s not just a strong guy, he’s not just a guy that can catch the ball out of the backfield, he’s able to do all three. That’s what’s fun to see, is a competitor like him, and gives ourselves a chance to compete against a guy like him. I think he’s a stud, and that’s what makes this game fun.”

(On what was key for the defense in the eight team sack performance against the Cardinals last week
“I think our defensive line played really well. I think they came out with an edge, and they were determined to make a difference in the game, and those guys did a great job for us. I think they set the tone for us on defense. I think (DT) Star (Lotulelei), and (DT Kawann Short) ‘KK’, and those guys inside did an excellent job of clogging things up, putting pressure on the quarterback, and when those guys are playing that well, it makes everyone’s job a lot easier.”

(On how the team is dealing with the issue regarding QB Cam Newton and illegal quarterback hits)
“That’s not been an issue at all. That was addressed after the game, and I’m sure coached talked about it the other day. So, it’s not an issue. That stuff doesn’t hang over our heads during the week. Guys are focused on playing this week, and that’s really where our mindset is on that.”

(On as a defender, how he reacted to the comments by QB Cam Newton regarding illegal quarterback hits)
“You got to play the game fast; you go to play the game hard. I try to play the game as hard as I can, and you’ve got to be smart. That’s just kind of how I feel about it. I feel like I just try to make plays when they’re allowed, and let the rest take care of itself. I try not to worry about that stuff, and I just go out there and play hard.”

(On if he ever feels as if he has to pull back because of the new rules)
“I just think you have to understand what the rules are, and what you can and can’t do. I try not to think about that stuff too much. I just try to play within the rules, and understand that when the quarterback has got the ball, there’s certain ways you can hit him, and when he throws the ball, you can’t hit him. I think it’s pretty straight-forward stuff, just go to make sure you’re doing what you’re supposed to do.”

(On what CB Leonard Johnson brings to the defense)
“I think he’s brought some energy, and competitiveness. He hasn’t been able to play football for a little while, so I think this first game back gave him a chance to kind of get out there and kind of let it go. I think he felt good to be back out there on the field with the team, and compete, and help a team win a game. He did a great job for us. He gave us a good spark. He made a bunch of big plays. He had a sack, he had some other pressures on the quarterback, he had a big pass deflection on a two-point conversion, he made some big tackles just all over the field. So, he did a good for us. We’re excited to have him back again this week.”

(On what the main difference is between last season and this season for the team)
“I just think it’s a little bit different on defense. We had some new guys come in. You just kind of have to mesh with those guys, and we’re doing a really good job with that. I think the bye week helped with that. I think the guys played really well last week. I think we’re kind of moving in the right direction that where we want to be, and I think that’s the sign of a defense that’s growing together. It doesn’t really matter where you start, it’s do you improve each week, and I think we’re trending in that direction. Hopefully, we can continue that.”

On how many different ways people have tried to pronounce his last name)
“Oh my goodness gracious, there’s a lot of them. I haven’t been asked that question in a long time, and it makes me laugh a little bit, I like that. (KEEK–lee), (CATCH–lee), (KOOK–lee), anything that starts with a ‘k’ and ends with like an ‘ly’ and maybe a hard ‘k’ there at the end, is how it gets pronounced. But, when I was in grade school and high school, I had a brother who was year older than me. So, I’m sure he got all the mispronounced names more than I did, because they had already had them. So, he’s the guy to ask on that. But, I think anything that starts with a ‘k’ and ends with an ‘ly’, I would usually respond to when I was a little kid.”

(On if the team is doing anything different defensively with the possibility of seeing Jared Goff this week)
“It’s one of those things that I think you just got to go in with the mindset of what do they try to do as an offense as a whole. You can’t worry about necessarily who is going to be playing quarterback, it’s more of what they try to do as a whole, and you kind of go from there. I don’t know who is going to be playing quarterback, but you just got to make sure you’re aware of what they like to do in situations, and kind of how they are as an offense as a whole.”

(On if he feels as if the defense can get after Rams QB Case Keenum a little easier, coming off his four interception game)
“Maybe some guys, but I think he’s a competitor. You watch him play, that the game of football is super important to him, and he loves to compete, and he loves to win. So, this will be, coming off a game where he probably didn’t play as well as he wanted to, I think he’s going to be even more motivated to play well, especially at home. I don’t think it’s going to be one of those things that, ‘Oh man, we can do this and that.’ I think it’s, ‘Oh, we got to make sure we’re ready to go,’ because he’s going to prepare, he’s going to compete; he’s going to play really well, especially at home. We have got to do our best to make sure we’re ready to go. Like I said, he’s a guy that wants to go out there and win, and he plays hard, and that’s something cool to see.”