TRANSCRIPT: Rams RB Tre Mason, Conference Call, 5-9-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RB Tre Mason – Conference Call – May 9, 2014

(On what it was like getting a phone call from Jeff Fisher and Les Snead)
“It was a blessing to receive that phone call. I’ve always dreamed of this and I was just happy. Now I can continue to take over with my brother, (OL) Greg Robinson.”

(On if he has spoken to Robinson yet)
“Yeah, me and Greg spoke just two minutes ago.”

(On what the conversation was like with Robinson)
“When I first called him, he couldn’t believe it. He told me, ‘Stop lying.’ But I told him, just wait a couple minutes and you’ll see that I’m not playing. I had called him right away.”

(On if he knew the Rams were interested in him)
“I didn’t really know if they were going to at any time because I haven’t spoken to the Rams a lot. I’ve known Jeff Fisher for a while. His son Trent goes to Auburn, so it’s a good place to land. I’m happy to be a Ram.”

(On if the Rams talked to him at his pro day)
“Not at all.”

(On if he was at the private workout with Robinson)
“I was not at that, but me and Greg always said it would be a dream come true if we ever got to play together at the next level and God answered our prayers.”

(On if he made a Top 30 visit to Rams Park)
“No, I did not. I haven’t visited St. Louis.”

(On if the Rams kept their interest in him a secret)
“I guess so.”

(On what went through his head when he found out he was a Ram)
“That it was just a dream come true that Greg and I had always dreamed of since our freshman year to play together. I just broke down in tears when Coach called.”

(On if it was Coach Fisher that called him)
“Yes I did, I talked to Coach Fisher. He was like, ‘Are you ready to be a Ram?’ And I said of course Coach, no problem.”

(On what he remembers about the SEC title game against Missouri)
“That’s one of my best games of my career. I just did all I could to get that win and I had a good time while playing against a team from Missouri.”

(On what he would say to the citizens of Missouri)
“I would love to tell them that I’m sorry what I did in college, but hey, I’ll do at this level now for them.”

(On what it means to have Robinson blocking for him)
“Me and Greg, we’re a dynamic duo. You’ve seen a duo of a lineman and running back, but Greg is my brother. We know each other’s tendencies and techniques and how we play, so it will be great to continue on with Greg.”

(On the notion that running backs are devalued in the NFL now and if that gives him a chip on his shoulder)
“Of course. That’s going to be on my shoulder for a long time, probably for as long as I play in the NFL. I’m going make my name be known and show that they need to value the running back more.”

(On how he would describe his game)

“I try to be unique. I try to be able to do a little bit of everything. I try to be one of the best players to ever touch a football, so that means I have to be able to block, catch, and run. I want to be able to be everything that has to do with football, even if that has to do with throwing, you can do a half back pass.”

(On his pass catching abilities and blitz pickup)

(On the conflicting reports of a wrist injury he had last season)
“Early on in the season, I had no idea, but when I got to the combine, it showed I had a small fracture in my scaphoid. I didn’t even notice. I guess it happened early, early in the season but it never affected me and never bothered me. I came out for one play and went back in.”

(On if the injury required surgery)

“Not that I know of.”

(On there not being a surgery scheduled)

“Nothing scheduled. I have nothing after the draft, nothing scheduled for it before, and most teams told me that it wasn’t a problem for them because it was never a problem for me and it showed.”

(On if he had to go to the medical re-check at the NFL Combine)

“Yes, I did.”

(On what the doctors at the combine told him)

“They all gave me a thumbs up and told me that everything was good. If that did play a factor in why I went late, I guess I can say, ‘Watch the last couple games.’”

(On if the injury healed on its own)

“I guess so.”

(On if he expected to be drafted in the first or second rounds)

“Yeah, I had hopes and dreams of going there and people telling me that it’s possible for me to slip into the first round. But God has a plan and God works in His ways, and everything happens for a reason.”

(On how excited he is to work with fellow former SEC RB Zac Stacy)

“We’re going to become a great duo together. I played against Zac my sophomore year, and he’s a great player. I’m willing to put in work with him.”

(On if he’s ever been to St. Louis)

“I have not. I have never been to St. Louis, but I’m looking forward to being there.”

(On his dad being a member of a hip-hop group)

“Yes, my dad is DJ Maseo from De La Soul.”

(On if the band will schedule some concerts in St. Louis)

“I guess so.”

(On if he was aware that General Manager Les Snead played football at Auburn University)

“I wasn’t really sure of that. I just knew that Trent Fisher went to my school and Coach Fisher is his dad, so it’s funny that that happened.”

(On how it feels to be drafted in the NFL)

“It’s time to go back to work. I’m ready to prove a lot of people wrong.”

tbux

Rookie
He was my favorite RB coming out- I love how hard he plays, and think he will be a very good back and give Stacy some serious competition. Great one - two punch. Love the pick!