TRANSCRIPT: Rams OL Mitchell Van Dyk, Conference Call, 5-10-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On being drafted by the Rams)
“It’s an amazing experience. I honestly didn’t think I would get drafted, but being able to get drafted is just a great opportunity and I can’t wait to start with this great organization.”

(On if he was following the draft since he didn’t expect to be selected)
“I talked to them before but I wasn’t 100 percent sure if I’d get drafted or not. I didn’t know until right before the pick came in.”

(On when he talked to the Rams in the pre-draft process)
“They talked to me before the draft. A few weeks ago they talked to me. They called me about 10 or 15 minutes before the pick came in and told me that they’d give me a call right before. Right before the pick came in they called me and told me, ‘How would you like to be a Ram?’ I was like, ‘Oh yeah! Of course I would.’ It was a great, great feeling.”

(On his height and weight)
“Six-(foot)-eight, 315 (lbs.).”

(On playing in the College All-Star Bowl game this spring)
“The all-star game was an amazing experience playing with new players and all that. Being able to play with players I’d never played with, getting to bond over there with the coaches. Being able to learn new stuff and it was just overall a good experience. I’d never been to South Carolina, first of all. So, that was cool, being that it snowed and I’m not used to that. My pro day was amazing. Our school ran it well. I think I did pretty good and I think that brought my draft stock up a little bit. It was really fun.”

(On if the Rams talked to him at either of those events)
“They talked a little bit about my pro day since I put up some good numbers and my size. At the all-star game, they really didn’t talk at all.”

(On what position he played at the All-Star Bowl)
“I played right and left tackle.”

(On if he was mainly a right tackle in college)
“Yeah, all three years I started, I played right tackle.”

(On playing on the left side at the All-Star Bowl)
“It came natural to me. I’m left handed, so I don’t know why I didn’t really play left tackle in college. It felt natural to me. I could take on pass blocks, run blocks just like I could at the right side. It really didn’t feel any different to me.”

(On what schools recruited him out of high school)
“Really the only other team that offered me a full scholarship was Sacramento State. I didn’t want to go there because Jerry Glanville, who was the head coach at the time (at Portland State), came down and kind of persuaded me and my family to go there.”

(On his style of play)
“I’m passionate. You’ll see me 20 or 30 yards down the field. When there’s a ball off and the receiver is catching it, I’ll be right behind him, running right behind him. I’m athletic. I don’t care who is in front of me. I’ll play as hard as I can through the whistle. I’m a great teammate. I’ll always be there for the person next to me and the whole team. I just play with passion and excitement.”

(On the style of offense they ran in college)
“We ran the pistol offense. We ran the ball probably 60-65 percent of the time and threw it about 40 or 35 percent of the time. We were very efficient. We ran the ball a lot and we produced a lot of good numbers.”

(On if he has a preference between run blocking and pass blocking)
“Since we ran a lot at Portland State, I think I’m a little bit better at run blocking but I definitely need to work on my pass blocking on both sides.”