TRANSCRIPT: RAMS HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER & WR TAVON AUSTIN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – July 22, 2013

(On how practice went)
“We think it’s important to bring the rookies, and we have four players in here that were on the roster last year but don’t have an accredited season, in just a couple days early before the vets come in. They stayed a week longer to get them in, to get their feet on the ground, to get them used to things. Obviously, we’re limited in what we can do because we don’t have the numbers to have a full team. I thought they did an outstanding job this morning in the conditioning test, each and every one of them. We didn’t have any issues at all. So clearly they left and worked hard. They’re excited to be back. They were kind of quiet in the team meeting this morning with the realization that the summer was over and here we go. But, we got them loosened up in the shuttle test. Since then they’ve been good.”

(On if players got physicals today)
“No, they’ve taken physicals. Any of the guys that had anything that carried over into the summer were examined yesterday with the doctors. Therein lies the reason that we put Barrett Jones on active/non-football injury. He’s not quite ready. He’s close, but he’s not quite ready. He’s doing really well right now. It’s a short time period, maybe a week or two.”

(On Jones’ recovery status)
“He had it surgically repaired and then trained with us. As soon as we were done, he had the plates taken out. He’s been rehabbing that now. It feels really good. It’s pretty much behind him.”

(On the rookies’ excitement)
“They all have unique, different jobs to do. Positions are different, the expectations on them, they vary. But, the most important thing is that they come in in shape and obviously learn what to do and get as many reps as we can afford to give them. With the limitations now and the way camp is, it’s hard to get reps. That’s why we pick up a couple extra practices with these guys.”

(On whether the players stayed out of trouble and stayed in shape over the break)
“They paid attention. A number of the guys came in early. A number of the vets just stayed around. We had vets kind of peering over their shoulders rooting them on this morning while they were doing their conditioning tests. It would appear that this break has been very productive for us. The guys got together on their own and threw the ball. We’re looking forward to Thursday and getting on the field.”

(On if he was worried about players over the break)
“We got together early in the offseason, even before they came back, and felt it was good to communicate with them. In this day and age, it’s not hard to send a reminder text about the weekend coming up or the Fourth of July or, ‘Stay off the four wheelers or wave runners,’ and those kinds of things. We’ve stayed pretty much in contact with them. I can text. I did not send texts to them, but they were sent.”

(On how much the two rookie practices mean to the players retaining the new system)
“That’s a big part of it. We got a lot done. We’re starting to re-install now. They’re lining up sharp. Knew what to do, very few mistake today. It’s important.”

(On having training camp at the team’s main training facility)
“We were one of the first teams to do it because we had no other option and falling into this situation, it worked for us. I think it works. We’re going to permit, this year, those with four years or more experience to stay home. That’s a good deal unless you were a wife hoping to get rid of your husband. It just works out, it’s business-like. Like I was just telling them, right now in the National Football League you can’t spend time getting your team in shape. They have to come in in shape. This next two days, if you ask the veterans, this is when they are in the best shape year round is these next couple days. You have to maintain that through camp, so that’s what we try to do. From the young guys’ standpoint, again, I thought they worked hard.”

(On having RB Benny Cunningham able to practice)
“He stayed back and worked with (Head Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott) and his staff the entire summer. He’s gotten that thing put behind him now. We didn’t have any reservations whatsoever or else we would have put him on active PUP. But, he’s ready to go.”

(On QB Tim Jennings)
“He got jersey numbers confused. He threw some to the other side.”

(On acquiring LB Will Witherspoon)
“We were just looking for experience there. We lost a couple guys from last year and Spoon’s familiar, obviously, with the organization. I have a familiarity with him. He has a familiarity with the system. He was out there and had a couple other opportunities and he chose to come join us. It’ll be good to have him.”

(On if he is aware of any other two players at the same position drafted from the same school to the same team like WR Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey)
“Not off hand. That’s your guys’ job. Let me know, I don’t know off hand. We talked about this before. We didn’t draft them because of school. We drafted them because of their athletic ability and where they were on the board. We were just very fortunate in both cases.”

(On if there are benefits to Austin and Bailey’s familiarity)
“I couldn’t see any negative to it. They know each other, they’re good friends, they’re roommates, they challenge each other, and they study together.”

(On the NFL considering HGH testing)
“We’re in a situation now where we’re trying to make this game better and any steps that we possibly can take, regardless of what it is and what the issue is, in that direction is good. I’m hearing that the NFL and the players’ association are working in conjunction with that. It would be good to head down that path.”

(On Samari Rolle and Lance Schulters as coaches on the practice field)
“They are in the internship program this summer. They were out here during the spring. What we try to do is allow our guest coaches to come in to OTAs to get more work. Typically, when you go back if you are employed at the collegiate level there’s just not enough time. We also have Milo Austin as well.”

(On if the veterans will be taking physicals)
“They all have already taken physicals. Not everybody is cleared, but they have all taken physicals.”

(On how much continuity will carry over from his first season)
“I think everybody knows the system is number one. There’s familiarity, there’s youth, there’s enthusiasm, and guys are serious. They’re dead serious. When you have this many veterans that stay in town through the summer and guys that want to come in the building a couple days early, it shows how important it is to them.”

(On how many players were around during the offseason)
“We had at least a couple dozen in here. There are weekends off, but guys decide to stay and work.”

(On expectations for Jones’ return)
“He’s where we expected. We got real good medical information prior to drafting him. He’s feeling better than we think he feels, according to him. He feels great right now. He’s very anxious to get out there.”

Rams WR Tavon Austin – Post-Practice – July 22, 2013

(On his summer break)
“Summer break was pretty good. I worked hard. I was training down in Miami with a couple of the fellas. Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, Stedman (Bailey), of course. It went pretty well.”

(On his sessions with QB Sam Bradford during his football camp in Oklahoma)
“They went well. He made us do a two-a-day. I wasn’t used to this back in college, but we did a two-a-day. I only was there for two days. I had to go back home. But for the most part, everything went well, and we got some good work in.”

(On if there was a lot of excitement getting on the field for the first day of camp)
“Yeah, definitely. You know that’s one thing I love to do, pretty much speaks for itself, my energy level out there. It just feels good to be back out here with all the brothers and hopefully we can get something going on.”

(On the difficulty of picking up the NFL offense)
“In the beginning, it was kind of different, just because at West Virginia, I did all signals, and now they’re just heard. It was kind of hard, but I’m definitely getting it. It’s slowing down for me a little bit, so I’m definitely getting it.”

(On if the playbook changed since OTA’s)
It’s pretty much the same. From OTA’s to now, it’s pretty much the same. It’s just repetition and getting it down packed.”

(On how often he studied the playbook during the summer break)
“I’m not gonna say I went every day, but at least when I did go, I went for about an hour and a half a day, just reading over the plays and watching some of our film. So, about an hour and a half a day.”

(On if it helps to learn plays together with WR Stedman Bailey)
“Yeah, I think so, just because we’re roommates. We definitely quiz each other while we’re in there, and that’s one thing we do. For the most part, I think it’s a blessing that Stedman came with me. We can definitely learn together.”

(On if it is exciting and beneficial to have Bailey on the field with him during his rookie season)
“I definitely think it can help, but at the same time, it’s all dependent on the quarterback and the wide receivers. I’m thankful that Stedman came to play with me for another couple more years, and hopefully we’ll play our whole careers together. I definitely was happy when it did happen. I was in St. Louis at the time visiting, and then they called his name, and everybody was happy for him.”

(On Head Coach Jeff Fisher’s message for the day)
“Pretty much to go ahead and work hard. The main thing is he’s trying to get us caught up with the vets for when they come back, get everything back in motion. That’s what we’re doing right now.”

(On how it feels that there’s no learning curve for a player in his position who will be needed immediately)
“That’s just something I try not to think about, to be honest. I know I’m not Superman, but I come in and try to do my part. That’s the only thing I can do. Whatever the coaches ask me to do, I can come in and do my part and hopefully it just goes from there.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: TRANSCRIPT: RAMS HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER & WR TAVON AUSTI

[stl]64163c8f-1eb2-4f8d-a12b-13ff7da04a13[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/WR-Tavon-Austin-Press-Conference-/64163c8f-1eb2-4f8d-a12b-13ff7da04a13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... ff7da04a13</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend

I love Sam making them do two-a-day's. I can't wait to see how he steps up and leads this team, I think knowing that he's not in Jackson's shadow is really going to help him emerge.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil

bluecoconuts said:
I love Sam making them do two-a-day's. I can't wait to see how he steps up and leads this team, I think knowing that he's not in Jackson's shadow is really going to help him emerge.

BOOM! Exactly what I'm thinking!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

how good is it that they all passed their conditioning test. these guys mean business.

jap

Legend

kurtfaulk said:

how good is it that they all passed their conditioning test. these guys mean business.

Roc Watkins failed his coaches' expectations last training camp when he came in overweight. Although he worked his way onto the starting OL, his lack of primetime conditioning probably contributed to his early injury.

This time he promised to hang around Saint Louis and spend time at the Rams facility. He may not end up as a starter initially, but if one of our starting guards gets banged up or go down, it's nice to have a strong road grader type who can step in and take up the slack.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

If anyone is unfamiliar lance shulters and samarai rolle are 2 really good players from fishers 99 supeebowl defense

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

[stl]b4d127ac-9210-4ed4-a20c-279439f6eb72[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/b4d127ac-9210-4ed4-a20c-279439f6eb72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 9439f6eb72</a>