TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Sam Bradford - 5/23

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Press Conference – May 23, 2013

(On T Thomas Brown and his size)
“Actually, we weighed him in at 403 (pounds).We had him in for the tryout and he had some issues that we had to clear up from a physical standpoint. He got them put behind him. We worked him out on both sides of the ball – defensive line, offensive line – and we felt like his best position would be right tackle. ‘Bou’ (Offensive Line Coach Paul T. Boudreau) said he’d love to have him. He’s gone this far. He got through practice. He’s a defensive lineman that we’ve converted over to offensive line. We just have to get the camera, the tape from the top of the tower. He might be able to block some kicks.”

(On if it felt different today not having Steven Jackson out on the field)
“This is our not our first time with the group, but yes. As I said from time and time, it would’ve been nice for me personally to have spent more than just one season on the sideline with him. I’m sure he’ll be a great addition to the Falcons.”

(On how easy or difficult it is for T Rodger Saffold to move from left to right tackle)
“Football’s football. Responsibilities are the same. He’s just at the point of attack when the ball goes to the right. We may have a tight end outside of him more often than the left tackle does because with a right-handed quarterback, you’re typically right-handed. He’s done a great job since we’ve moved him over.”

(On how much farther ahead he is now compared to where he was last year)
“I guess I could describe it to you this way: last year at this time, the entire team was hearing things for the time. This year at this time, the rookie class is hearing things for the first time. Everything else is a second go around for everybody, which is good.”

(On if his goal is to get everything installed during the OTAs)
“Our plan is to completely install everything and the players are aware of it. We’re going to install everything from the first snap of a game with first-and-10 to the last play of the game where you’ve got a Hail Mary pass and everything in between. We’ll do that (until) we complete the OTAs and then we’ll come back again and repeat it again at training camp. They’ll have the complete installation twice.”

(On how often QB Sam Bradford has been on the field with all of the team’s new offensive weapons)
“On the non-OTA days, he’s been working since the rookies got here with them when it’s permissible for him to work. We’re into phase two so we actually can come together and do some things. So, it’s been good. He’s taking advantage of the opportunities, not only with (WR) Tavon (Austin) and (WR) Stedman (Bailey), but in addition to that he’s worked a lot with (TE) Jared Cook this far.”

(On G Rokevious Watkins’ suspension)
“I’ll say this, we’ve been aware of it for quite some time. I’m not going to go into specifics of the suspension. We respect the league’s decision, but personally and respectfully, I disagree with the suspension and the circumstances regarding the suspension. That’s my opinion, but we’ll honor the league’s decision.”

(On TE Lance Kendricks)
“During one of the workouts here about a month ago, Lance had some knee swelling, so we scoped him. He’s doing great.”

(On WR Brian Quick)
“Quick, he got tight. He woke up this morning with a tight hamstring, so we just backed him down today.”

Rams QB Sam Bradford – Press Conference – May 23, 2013

(On if his family/friends are okay in Oklahoma and the STL4OKC initiative)
“First, my family, friends – everyone’s fine. Thankfully, it didn’t hit our part of town, but it’s still hard to see something like that happen in your hometown. I’m so thankful to live here in a community that’s willing to help. I got a call – I think it was Tuesday afternoon – and they asked if I wanted to be a part of the campaign and I was like, ‘Are you kidding me? I would love to.’ I think right now if we can just get the word out about it. I know there’s a drop-off site tonight at the soccer game at Busch Stadium and then there’s two drop-off sites tomorrow. We’re trying to fill these three trucks and take them down to Oklahoma City on Saturday morning. Anyone, if you can donate anything, there’s thousands of families back home right now who have, literally, nothing. Everything will help and they will be extremely grateful and it means a lot to me that the people of St. Louis are even willing to help. It’s pretty cool.”

(On what it was like in Oklahoma when the warnings started going off)
“Sunday, there was another tornado and it was actually a little closer to the house, so that was probably a little more scary. But, it’s just hard to watch because…me and my buddy were sitting on our back patio and the sirens went off and we turned on the news and obviously the storm was well south of us and the meteorologists were just saying, ‘This has gone bad in a hurry. This doesn’t look good.’ They knew what was coming. Then to see the actual tornado live on TV and know what it’s doing on the ground, I think that’s the hardest part because you know that every second, every minute people are losing their homes and losing all their belongings and then to see the photos afterwards, it was just really tough. Tornadoes are a part of life, they happen every year. You’re thankful that one doesn’t hit your home, but you’re very weary because the next one that comes might. And you feel for the people who lost their homes and you want to help because like I said, the next one could hit your home. If it does, you hope that there are people out there willing to come to your aid.”

(On if he started going through his phone)
“My cousin actually lives in Moore and it’s the first person I thought of. Texted him. He texted me back that he was good. He’s got, I believe, a 17-month-old son who was at daycare and he was fine too. His daycare was spared. It’s just tough, knowing that people are going through that.”

(On how many times he’s been on the field with the new offensive weapons)
“Obviously, (TE Jared) Cook, he’s been here the whole time. We’ve put a lot of time in. As far as the rookies go, they were here Monday and Tuesday of last week and we had an opportunity to get out on the field and throw routes both of those days. Then, obviously, with the OTA date on Tuesday and then today, so there’s been four dates when we’ve been able to get on the field and get some work in.”

(On what he can do with this offense now that they haven’t seen on the field)
“We’re much faster now. There’s a lot more speed on the field. I think we’re all hoping that’s going to lead to more explosive plays. I think if you look at our offense in the past, we’ve really had to grind out touchdown drives because we haven’t been able to create those explosive plays. You take some of the guys that we have on the field now and they can turn a five-yard hitch route into an 80-yard touchdown. I think that’s extremely exciting. It’s going to allow us to open up the playbook probably a little bit more, just with their speed we can get creative, figure out how we’re going to use them. But, I think that’s the big thing is we’re still trying to figure out how to best use everyone’s abilities that we have now.”

(On WR Tavon Austin)
“He’s fast. He’s quick. He’s smart. He gets open. He’s done a great job so far. We’ve thrown a lot at him. The first two installs, these two OTAs, it’s amazing how much quicker you can go the second year in the system. Everyone’s not seeing something for the first time and these rookies are being asked to keep up with the veterans. I’ve been really impressed with the young guys and the way they’ve been able to handle things mentally. I think that’s something that’s extremely important, because it doesn’t matter how talented you are physically if you can’t handle it mentally. I think the young guys that we have in here have done a great job and I expect them to continue to get better.”

(On if it will be difficult to establish chemistry with the new receivers following the departure of Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson)
“Obviously, you spend three years with someone, that chemistry, just the amount of times that we were on the field together and able to throw, it’s hard to do that in the four sessions that we’ve had so far. But, as long as we continue to work and continue to put in the time, I think we’ll definitely be able to build that chemistry.”

(On the absence of Steven Jackson)
“It’s a lot different. Not only in the huddle, in the locker room, in the meeting room. Obviously he was an extremely important part of this offense and this organization for a long time, not only for what he did on the field, but for his leadership skills off the field and in the locker room. There’s a void right now. I think it’s part of my duty going into my fourth year to step up and help fill that void.”

(On his expectations for the season)
“To win the Super Bowl, obviously. That’s what we set out to do every year. You never go into a year thinking, ‘Man, if we could go 8-8, that would be awesome,’ because if you do, you might as well not even play the game. When we started this offseason – what is it, six weeks ago now? – we came in with the mindset that we are putting in the work each day to build the pieces to win the Super Bowl. That’s what our goal is. Obviously first we need to win our division, which is the NFC West, take care of business in the playoffs and get there, but that’s our goal every year.”

(On being in the same offense for a second season)
“Amazing. Like I said, it just feels so much better knowing the details of this offense and actually having the ability to go over and coach our young guys. When you’re trying to learn an offense for the first time, it’s really hard to go over and coach some of the young guys because you’re still trying to figure everything out, too. You don’t know the exact details. You watch it on film from how someone else runs it, so you think you have an idea how you want it run, but until you actually get out there and rep it multiple times, you really don’t have that feel. Now obviously we had the opportunity to go back and watch all our cutups from last year, all the concepts that we had success with, all the concepts that we struggled with. We talked about the areas that we need to be improved, the things that we need to do, and I can take all those points from those meetings with ‘Schotty’ (Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) and with ‘Cig’ (Quarterbacks Coach Frank Cignetti) to the young guys now. ‘Hey, we studied this concept last year. We think the key for it succeeding this year is we’ve really got to get our depth on this route or the timing’s got to be better.’ So, it’s just a lot more detail oriented now that we’re in year two.”

(On if he hopes to run more no-huddle offense this year)
“I hope so. I think that’s something that we looked at and we obviously had some success with last year. We did it out here today, in day two. Last year, I don’t know if we even got to it in OTAs. The fact that we already put it in, we’ve already worked the mechanics, I think that’s a pretty good indication that that’s a direction that we’d like to go.”

(On what he’ll do to increase his leadership role this season)
“Just being more vocal. Like I said, year two, I feel a lot more comfortable in the system. I know how things are supposed to look and the way I want things to be run. The depths, the details, just...’Stedman, Tavon, hey, this is how that route has to be.’ Pulling guys in the film room. Watching the previous day’s practice with them. All those things where I’m taking control of the offense.”