TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher & QB Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – August 3, 2013

(On what he liked out of practice today)
“The two minute drill was good. There was a lot of good stuff. We’ll have to look at the tape, but I thought the guys were really competing. Any time you change atmospheres, you come in where there’s people around like this – which was a great crowd by the way – the guys practice and they play hard. We got to it, no issues, no injuries. We were able to compete. We had a little live rookie scrimmage there at the end. As I said yesterday, this kind of completes phase one of camp. We’re done and now they’ve got a day off. Things are going to go fast, and now we’ve got to get game ready, get the guys ready to play football.”

(On playbook retention and play execution)
“It’s hard to judge. Ask me after Thursday night because you don’t know. We know what to do, we know how to do it, but how we match up against another opponent, I don’t know.”

(On how the offensive line is coming together)
“They’re coming together. We’re alternating the left guard spot every day and it’s coming together. We’re getting some of the younger guys some starting reps just so they can get different defensive matchups. So, they’re coming together, but again we’ll see. I’m sure Cleveland’s going to have a lot to prove in the first preseason game.”

(On the biggest benefit of practicing at the dome)
“I think everybody benefits from it. The fans benefit from it. Those that have not been out to camp have an opportunity to really see the new guys close up. They get to see (TE) Jared Cook for the first time and make plays down the field. And (WR) Tavon (Austin) running around, that’s good. And of course, we benefit from the exercise, the coaches, communication, simulate games and then everybody. And the new players get to see where we’re going to be playing.”

(On Austin’s diversity and ability to carry the ball)
“He’s got a lot of ability and he can do a lot of different things. Whether we continue that stuff in the regular season, I don’t know, but it’s kind of fun to play around with.”

(On if the players knew the hurry-up field goal was planned)
“They knew it. We worked it in OTAs and we wanted to work it today. You want to just go through the timing, the mechanism of being out of timeouts and being in a third down situation with a running clock. So we work it anywhere between 20 and, depends on field position, 16 seconds you can get it off.”

(On if this practice would have been the same format if located at Rams Park)
“Yes, we followed the installation schedule. We did a few little different things. We moved and switched in, so we try to allow the fans to equally benefit from close-up periods and things like that.”

(On if practices have given him an indication of starters at certain positions)
“Yeah, we’re getting a better sense, but we’ll rely heavily on preseason games. In addition to that, next week because of the time period between the Thursday and then the following Saturday game, we’ve got some good practice scheduled. So, we’ll be able to make up for lost reps in the game next week. But, we’ve got a pretty good sense. We’re anxiously awaiting our new core group of special teams players to see what they can do in live situations against the Browns.”

(On if it is too early to see if the offense or defense are progressing faster than the other)
“Yeah, because offense may be doing something and defense may be working on something, and those may not necessarily be things that would mesh in a game. So, sometimes there are big holes, gaping holes, in the run game and sometimes there’s big plays downfield but they’re not necessarily game planning each other. They’re just calling things randomly.”

(On if he would like to improve on any game situations)
“We cover most of the situations again, and our two-minute stuff is very, very important, especially at the end of the game because it’s life or death. So, we have to continue to work that and get a good feel for that. Sometimes, the drives will be realistic; sometimes we’ll have to create drives and keep drives alive artificially to get the work that you need done. But we just keep working. Our walk-thrus are excellent, they’re paying attention, they know it’s important, they’re quality reps. We just have to push into the next phase with success.”

(On if they still have to install a lot of the playbook)
“Yes, we have things yet to install for the second time. We’ve already been through the first phase of it in OTAs.”

(On the atmosphere at the dome)
“It’s great. It’s football. We’re back. It’s been six or seven months, we’re back at it again, and people are excited about it.”

(On if he senses higher expectations for the team than in previous years)
“I would make an assumption that the expectation level is much higher than it was, and that’s a fair assumption because that’s where we are, too.”

(On Austin playing multiple positions)
“You’re going to have to come out, watch and see. He is versatile, as you say, and obviously there’s things that everybody does across the league in camp that they don’t show until the regular season.”

Rams QB Sam Bradford – Post-Practice – August 3, 2013

(On how practice went today)
“It was good. It was exciting to get down here today – just change it up a little bit, come down to the (Edward Jones) Dome. I thought we had a great turnout. It always fun for us to get out here in front of this many fans and practice. It just kind of breaks up the routine from going out to Rams Park every day to practice.”

(On if he was happy with how the two-minute drill went in practice today)
“Yeah, absolutely. I think that was a great drive for us. Obviously, having to go pretty much the full length of the field and needing a touchdown to score with :13 seconds left – that was a big drive. It was great to see us put something like that together.”

(On if the rookies were wide-eyed with practicing in the Edward Jones Dome and if they had any trouble adjusting)
“I don’t think so. I think all those guys handled it very well today. I think it will be routine to us when we come out here for the first preseason game.”

(On his comfort level with TE Jared Cook)
“It’s pretty good. I think you saw today my trust with Jared. I have all the trust in the world that if I put the ball up there that he’s going to go get it and I think every time we step on the field that comfort level grows.”

(On if players like WR Tavon Austin looked faster on turf today compared to the regular grass practice field)
“I think so. I was talking to (Assistant Head) Coach (Dave) ‘Mac’ (McGinnis) after practice when it rained and we had to go inside, and we got on that artificial turf in our indoor and there was a noticeable difference about how much faster we were. I think even in here today there was a lot of speed. I think we do play a little faster.”

(On how much he and the players are looking forward to the first preseason game and what they will try to get out of it as a team)
“I think everyone’s excited about it. Obviously, after going against each other for two weeks you’re kind of tired of seeing the same looks, going against the same people - you’re ready for some change. I think it’ll be great for us to go into our first live action and I think the goal for us is just for us to go out there and execute. Obviously, how to match up everything is going to be pretty simple. We’ll do our base stuff and it’s important that we go out and execute the way we can. “

(On if he was in the Smack Cam game)
“Oh no, I’m not in that game. It’s great entertainment for everyone in the locker room who’s not in the game. I have a great time observing.”

(On how he feels about the progression of the running backs)
“It’s been good. I think those young guys have grown up a lot, especially since last year, even from the spring to now. It’s been really fun to watch them grow as players. I expect that the more reps they get, the longer we’re in training camp, the better they’re going to get.”

(On how much more they can do this year with all of their offensive skill position players)
“I’m definitely excited about the potential of this offense and the things that we’re capable of doing. Obviously, we have a lot of speed and a lot of playmakers now. I think the greatest thing as a quarterback is I can trust my reads and trust my progressions and know that wherever I go with the ball, we’ll have a playmaker and someone who’s able to make the play once the ball is in his hand.”