TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher & QB Kellen Clemens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 13, 2013

(On if he takes advantage of time off on a bye week)
“Yeah, I’ll take advantage of it. I said the other day I’ll probably go get a cup of coffee or something like that.”

(On what he wants to accomplish in the bye week practices)
“We’ve got a lot of different things. Some players need rest. Some players need work in the training room. Some players need weight stuff, and then this is the football stuff that we’re looking at. The staff’s done a good job with the self-scout and so we’ll have another good day tomorrow. It’s a good start today.”

(On DE Robert Quinn making the Pro Bowl)
“I think his play speaks for itself. I think he clearly has the respect around the league already. We see that week to week from offenses.”

(On if there are similarities between Quinn and former Titans DE Jevon Kearse)
“Yes and no. They’re different athletes. Jevon played the other side. When you talk about getting off the ball and beating the tackle and chasing plays down, things like that, there’s some similarities.”

(On WR Tavon Austin’s punt return for a touchdown at Indianapolis)
“Yeah, his thought was he was concerned about it bumping a teammate and also going out on the 1-yard line, so he just grabbed it and spun out and took off.”

(On if it’s time to expect the rookies to elevate their play and take the next step)
“It depends on the individual player. Some are getting to play a lot more than others, but we don’t treat them like rookies anymore. Everybody’s trying to improve and that’s good for this week, too. We take advantage of that and young guys continue to get work.”

(On QB Kellen Clemens’ performance)
“Yeah, I think he’s played well. Obviously, we were real close in the first two games and then he played a real good football game in Indianapolis. Making good decisions with the football, protecting the football and so on. Putting us in the appropriate runs that we needed to based on coverage and stuff.”

(On how S T.J. McDonald looked)
“He’s coming along. He did a lot of work last week outside and inside. It’s a confidence factor now, but we’ll continue to give him reps.”

(On if McDonald still has two weeks to practice before he counts as an active roster spot)
“Yes.”

(On how they evaluate the team heading into the bye week at 4-6)
“Well, we’re disappointed with the six (losses) but I think, overall, we’re seeing some improvement. Our run game is coming. The last three weeks it’s been 200 (yards) and 160 and 140 against good defenses, and so I think that gives you a chance. And we saw some improvement out of our defense last week.”

(On the inconsistent defensive play being partly due to their opponents)
“Yes, it does. Run styles are different week to week. Matchups are different, run styles are different, but we need to be more consistent.”

(On his evaluation of second year WRs Chris Givens and Brian Quick)
“They’re doing fine. They’re making plays for us. We’re rotating them and they’re not making mistakes on the field. We had a couple drops here and there, but I think both of them are coming along fine.”

(On what Austin’s Sunday performance does for him and the team)
“Tavon got the special teams player of the week, and I think the special teams unit should have gotten special teams unit of the week. He had a lot of help and we watched it together as a team this morning just to see the outstanding performance of everybody that was on the field during the special teams. So, his stuff that took place last week was pretty impressive, but he also had help from his teammates.”

Rams QB Kellen Clemens – Post-Practice – November 13, 2013

(On what he wants to get out of practices during the bye week)
“There’s plenty of things that we can do. Again, for a guy in my position this is an opportunity to steal more reps with the guys, those guys that have been starting that I haven’t had a ton of reps with in the first few weeks. So, it’s an opportunity to do that, and then, it’s a great opportunity to work on some of the smaller, fundamental things that you don’t have an opportunity to work on over the course of a game plan week when you’re so focused on the opponent.”

(On how much fun starting in the NFL is after being a back-up)
“Well, it’s fun to play. You don’t generally sign up just for practice. It’s fun to be out there, but again, the circumstances aren’t what anybody wants because obviously (QB) Sam’s (Bradford) the man. But, I’m enjoying the opportunity.”

(On if he appreciated Head Coach Jeff Fisher naming him the starter instead of bringing in another player)
“That means a lot. There’s no question about that. It means a lot to have him believe in me, and I think that this locker room believes in me. So, that certainly makes the transition easier for a guy in my position.”

(On how much pride he takes in helping the younger skill players to develop through the remainder of the season)
“That was an emphasis, I think, early on, but these young guys have done a great job. They really have. They’ve come in, they’ve been pros. They’ve learned the playbook. They’ve learned how to execute in this environment and they’ve done a really good job. The training wheels are off for those guys and they’ve been off for a long time. You look at the things that (WR) Tavon (Austin) has done. You look at the things that (WR) Stedman Bailey is now starting to do, show his stuff. We’re excited about the young talent that we have in this locker room.”

(On how he assess where he is now compared to where he was when he started three games ago)
“Well, I think I’m getting more comfortable with each rep, both in practice and in games. Fortunately, we were able to get a win on Sunday. I said, I think, after the Seattle game, it’s all about wins and losses. That’s the only stat that matters to me at this point. I’m getting more comfortable with each week and hopefully we can continue to make plays and to be effective on offense. The other thing that I failed, I think, to give credit to after the game on Sunday is what a great job our defense did keeping the Colts backed up. And then, what a great job our special teams did giving us field position. Special teams held their kickoff returner, I think, inside the 13 (-yard line) every time that they decided to bring it out, just phenomenal. And then, our defense held them backed up. Our starting field position on offense was great all game. That certainly helps.”

(On if the 4-6 record is more disappointing with how well the team has been playing recently)
“Yeah. I think at this point we’re taking it week by week. I don’t know what the projections are. I think we’ve still got a chance, obviously, to get in to the dance at the end of the year. What we can handle is one week at a time, and I think that’s our focus.”

(On WR Brian Quick)
“He’s done a great job. He really has. Every week, he does things that show the work that he’s doing off the field. He’s a guy that’s spent a lot of time in his playbook and spending a lot of time on his technique. And, he’s doing a lot of things that maybe don’t make the headlines, but are helping us win. You look at the long touchdown that Tavon had, the catch and run. There’s a reason why that entire half of the field was wide open when he turned the corner. It’s because Brian Quick took his man and put him into the Gatorade cooler. He really did. Go back and watch it. It’s awesome. It’s awesome to watch. He’s doing a great job. He’s got a role on this football and he’s doing a great job in that role.”

(On Quick’s block)
“You go back and watch No. 83 you’re going to see a few of them. He’s a good player. He’s a complete player, obviously still a lot of room for him to continue to develop because he’s got a lot of ability. But, we really like the progress that he’s made and the potential that he’s showing.”

(On if he can tell that Quick has matured in his time in the NFL)
“Absolutely. You’re talking about a guy who didn’t play a lot of college football. He’s a guy where every rep counts. Every rep makes him better and I think that he’s done a good job of making the most of the reps that he’s gotten and making sure that he continues to show improvement as each practice and each game goes.”