TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Shaun Hill (11-12-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher and QB Shaun Hill (11-12-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 12, 2014

(On his decision to make the quarterback change)
“It’s never an easy decision when you make a change in the middle part of the season. We looked at things Monday night and I had lengthy discussions with the offensive staff and just felt that the best thing to do, at this point moving forward, was to lean on the experienced quarterback. As I told the team today, in front of (QB) Austin (Davis), how much I appreciated Austin and his work ethic and his poise, his dedication and the tireless effort that he put in to prepare himself to play. He’s much better now than he was when he started, but made the decision to go ahead and play with (QB) Shaun (Hill). It’s all out in the open, there’s no controversy. We’re moving forward with an experienced quarterback that for all intensive purposes lost his job because of injury. You all understand why we went that way because of the production that we got earlier out of Austin. The last few weeks have been difficult for him. The defenses that he’s faced have been especially good. Again, I don’t want to present anything that appears to be cloudy, but this is in my opinion and the offensive staff’s opinion, what’s best for this football team right now.”

(On if the quarterback decision will be changed on a week-to-week basis)
“No, I’m not going to do that. We’re going to give Shaun an opportunity to do what we brought him here to do, that was to be the backup to (QB) Sam (Bradford).”

(On if he talked to Davis and Hill individually)
“I did. After the players left the building, I found Austin in the quarterback room last night preparing for this game. We had a great visit, he understands. He talked about the respect factor that he has for those guys that are playing this game really well week, after week, after week because of how hard that position is to play. He’s in a good place. He’s going to prepare just like he has been to back-up Shaun. I gave Shaun a ring after I talked to Austin. That’s how it went down.”

(On Hill’s preparation while he has been the back-up)
“He’s been great. He’s been preparing the defense every week giving us a great look. They just trade places now. Austin’s doing the best he can, if it’s possible to get close to what (Broncos QB) Peyton (Manning) does on the field. Shaun’s been great.”

(On if he’s worried about Hill’s state of readiness)
“No doubt. He has great understanding of what we’re doing. He’s prepared himself weekly to go in and play. He had a great day of practice today.”

(On if Davis is the back-up)
“That is correct.”

(On QB Case Keenum’s status on the roster)
“He’s on the practice squad. You can’t play practice squad players.”

(On if he saw defenses change their approach against Davis)
“No, not going to go into specifics. We’re going to move forward with this.”

(On DE Chris Long’s return to the practice field)
“We started the window for Chris, so he’ll be able to practice. He didn’t do much today, but he’s going to keep adding to it. We feel like…that designated IR situation gives you a 21-day period. We think he’ll definitely be ready to play within that time period. We wanted to get him back on the field.”

(On with all of the injuries in the secondary and how pivotal S T.J. McDonald is to the secondary)
“I think T.J.’s playing the safety position right now as good as any safety in the league. The last couple weeks I think his play, his body of work speaks for itself. He’s making plays. He’s all over the field. He’s going to continue to do that. We got production out of (S) Mark (Barron) last week in a package. (S Rodney McCleod) Rod’s been playing very well. These guys have been holding the corners together because we’ve been rolling the young corners. Obviously, now that (CB Trumaine Johnson) Tru’s back and (CB Janoris Jenkins) Jenks is back, (CB E.J. Gaines) E.J.’s going to get some work inside because (CB) Lamarcus (Joyner) looks doubtful for this week. Those guys have pretty much been the glue in the secondary.”

(On being 1-of-10 on third-down offensively and how to improve in that area)
“We were. They were very good at it, as is this group we’re playing. We’ve got to make plays. We’ve got to throw receivers open. Receivers have to get open. We have to do potentially some different things scheme-wise. We’ve had a couple games where we were productive. The most important thing with third down is what happens prior to that. The longer the down and distance is the harder it is to convert. We’ve got to keep manageable down and distance situations.”

(On if Manning is the toughest quarterback in the league to prepare for)
“Yes, there’s no doubt. Peyton’s playing his best football right now. Faced him many, many times. He’s playing his best football. It’s amazing the things he’s doing with the football. The cast that they have surrounded him with is outstanding. It really tests your defense. It requires patience. You have to run the football and get their punter on the field. I’m trying to simplify things for you, but you run it on offense and your goal is to get their punter on the field. Then you have a chance.”

(On the Broncos’ defense)
“They’re awfully good, yeah. What happens typically when you have an offense that’s so potent and making so many big plays and has a scoring average per game that’s so high. The opposing offenses are playing catch-up. Those yards…you don’t want to call them garbage yards, but the defense is going to soften a little bit, give up some plays to win the game. That happens to an outstanding defense. They are, however, they’re very difficult to run against. Both the edge rushers are outstanding, they get inside push. They’ve done a great job rebuilding their secondary, which was obviously a focus. I think they’ve got a great group of linebackers. We’re going to have to play very well.”

Rams QB Shaun Hill – Post-Practice – November 12, 2014

(On being named the starter)
“Obviously there’s some excitement that kicks in and things like that. Now it’s kind of back to business as usual. I’m just 1/11th on offense. You go out and you prepare the best you can for Sunday.”

(On if he was surprised when Head Coach Jeff Fisher told him he’d start this week)
“There’s not a whole lot that surprises me anymore to be honest with you. I guess a little bit.”

(On how difficult it’s been for him to watch from the sideline)
“Yeah, as a competitor and things like that. At the same time, you still have a job to do. When that happened, I still had a job to do. You just kind of have to dust yourself off and go do what you’re asked to do. It was hard, but still at the same time, it’s not like getting cut and you’re out of here. You’ve got to really be able to wipe it off and accept your role at that time. Also, I had the two weeks of injury that I was just fighting to get a jersey. I knew those weeks I wasn’t going to be starting, so as it kind of all played out, the hard part was those two weeks when I was hurt.”

(On facing Denver’s defense)
“Every NFL defense is really good and they can all get after the passer. These guys are exceptional at it, though. The best way to beat that is all 11 guys be on the same page, knowing where to be and when to be there. For me, it’s getting the ball dispersed the way it should be and in a timely fashion, know where the help is and where the protection is. All 11 of us have a stake in kind of keeping those sack numbers down for those guys.”

(On if he was surprised that he didn’t return to the starter role once his injury healed)
“You know, Austin (Davis) did a great job. He was playing really well. So, surprised? Like I said, not a lot surprises me anymore in this league. Austin was doing a great job. I understood why they did it, for sure.”

(On Wednesday’s practice)
“There’s a couple things as there’s going to be every day that we’ve got to go in and learn from and fix by tomorrow and continue to build, but it was a good building block.”

(On if he has a little extra excitement in practice knowing he’s going to start)
“Yeah, your excitement level does kick up a little bit, but as far as preparation goes, preparation’s the same. You always try to prepare as if you’re going to play, even if you’re going in as the back-up. As far as preparation goes, nothing has to change. Just yeah, a little bit more excitement.”

(On how difficult the last eight weeks have been)
“It was a little bit tough but at the same time, I still had a job to do and I accepted my role and did that. I tried to focus on that, what I could do to help Austin and what I could do to help the team, giving them a good look throughout the week. You’ve got to just swallow your pride. That’s kind of what I had to do and accept my role at that time.”

(On if he knew before Wednesday that there was a chance he’d be starting again)
“No, I didn’t have any idea.”

(On if he expects to have to ‘knock off any rust’ since he hasn’t played in a few weeks)
“We’ve done a good job of trying to...whenever we run the ‘show’ team, I try to put it in our terms so our guys are running our plays while they’re giving our defense a look at the opposing teams’ plays. That’s kind of how you try to stay in our offense. Then individual routes with guys and things like that. We’ve done a good job of trying to make sure I’ve stayed up to pace with all of that throughout the last however many weeks.”

(On if he’s been told he’ll be the starter for the rest of the season)
“We haven’t in length like that. Obviously, the expectations and things like that don’t need to be explained to me. I understand how it goes.”

(On if he was surprised to get Coach Fisher’s call telling him he was going to start)
“A little bit. I missed the first call but then had a text message to call back. I kind of figured something was up. When it’s Coach Fisher, you call him back.”

(On if there was any part of him that was afraid Fisher was calling with bad news)
“Fortunately, I didn’t think that.”

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
(On if the quarterback decision will be changed on a week-to-week basis)
“No, I’m not going to do that. We’re going to give Shaun an opportunity to do what we brought him here to do, that was to be the backup to (QB) Sam (Bradford).”
Well, he has made a verbal commitment! The issue is obviously settled!

jap

Legend
I wonder if Johnny Hekker was miffed he wasn't considered for starting QB duties.:sneaky:

Johnny: "Damn it!!! Who the hell has the best QB passer rating on this here team anyway!?! It's Yours truly---not Sam or Shaun or AD! When will these damn coaches see the light!!!"

fearsomefour

Legend
I still really like Davis going forward as a depth guy. Hard working, humble, motivated. A good guy to have on your roster. I would not be surprised if he sees the field again before the season is over.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I wonder if Johnny Hekker was miffed he wasn't considered for starting QB duties.:sneaky:

Johnny: "Damn it!!! Who the hell has the best QB passer rating on this here team anyway!?! It's Yours truly---not Sam or Shaun or AD! When will these damn coaches see the light!!!"
I've long said that he HAS to be the emergency QB if both active QBs go down.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion

Bad idea! Last thing we need is to injure our punter by putting him in at QB behind our line!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Kick his ass, seabass!

Go, Hill, thank for hanging, I know you were fristrated, and thank you, Davis for the hope, dedication, and inspiration that you gave most of us.

Go Rams....I can clearly see you getting better, despite the numerous, and sometimes, crippling setbacks.

I feel good about the future with this team....arrow pointing up, IMO.

Break them Broncs....break em in the ass. Yee hah! Yippee the fuck yay