TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 9-23-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – September 23, 2013

(Opening statement)
“As I said last night, we have a tremendous challenge on our hands here, putting this one behind us as quickly as we can. We’ve not had anything official with the players. We let them rest up this morning. We’ll be visiting with them at 2:00, and putting this into perspective, and then moving right into the 49ers. Today, in a normal game week, is actually Thursday afternoon if that puts things into perspective for you. So, we’ve got a lot to do. As far as just kind of recapping the game yesterday, really the key is third down. When you’re playing a good offensive team like we faced yesterday, where our offense is struggling, the defense is going to have to get turnovers or get the ball back and we didn’t do that. That really, to me, is the difference in the game. They did an outstanding job on third down – a couple areas that we must improve on if we’re going to win football games and a short time to do it. So, that will be our focus this week as we get ready for the 49ers. The 49ers, in a lot of ways, probably see themselves in the same situation that we’re in – let one slip away. Got beat at home, now have to deal with some injuries, and then come here on a short week. So, they have as equal as great a challenge as we do. It should be a short week and a good ball game.”

(On how the team will respond)
“They’ll be fine. I’m not concerned about them putting this behind them moving forward. All you have to do is put on a series here or a series there of our matchup last year, either one of the two games against the 49ers and we’ll have their attention.”

(On if the offense’s slow start was because of offensive mistakes or the Cowboys’ defense)
“It was their defense. They were outstanding up front. It was loud, outstanding. They were getting penetration and they were matching up routes. We just could not get things going. A couple three-and-outs, it took us a while to get a first down. That’s something that obviously we can’t let happen against anybody, but have to put that behind us as quick as we can.”

(On if the offense was slowed because of opposing defenses through the first three games)
“Well, we gave up plays defensively in Atlanta and we again gave up plays defensively that we should not have last week. So, you get off the field, get the ball back for your offense, it gives them more opportunities and we weren’t doing that.”

(On why Dallas was successful running the ball)
“We did not get off blocks. We didn’t tackle well. We didn’t set edges. They featured more of a stretch, outside zone team where they got us running laterally and then cut the ball up the field. We weren’t in position. Obviously, we’ve got to get those things corrected and we will.”

(On if the miscues in pass protection were a result of physical mistakes)
“Those are individual match-ups. Then, we didn’t really have any free rushers. We did one on the screen where we picked up a first down. (QB) Sam (Bradford) got hit, but other than that it was them affecting coverage down the field and making Sam hold it and Sam was taking some hits. Their excellent get off, well-coached, and they moved (DE) DeMarcus (Ware) all over the place. He played well. Then, we had breakdowns here and there. We had a back supposed to check and work his way out, and he stepped inside and bumped the defensive tackle when (LT) Jake (Long) was expecting help. Just little breakdown things that we’ve got to get corrected.”

(On what he saw on RB DeMarco Murray’s touchdown)
“It’s really hard to see. I haven’t had a chance to look at the TV copy now. I think it would have been hard to overturn. What I’d have liked to see them do was challenge – just have them go to the replay booth. The score was confirmed, and I would have liked to see (Referee) Carl (Cheffers) go to the replay booth just to look at it. He may have had a shot, he may not have, but he never got a chance to look to see if the ball was out or not.”

(On if he thought about kicking a field goal when they faked the punt)
“No. That was a bonus possession and I thought that we had a chance to make a play there. You’re not successful on all of them, but that’s something we’re going to continue to do. That’s part of our philosophy is take shots and take opportunities.”

(On when P Johnny Hekker pump faked on the fake punt)
“I’m not going to get into details of the design because we’ve been known for doing things. But, there was just a breakdown between Johnny and ‘Sted’ (WR Stedman Bailey). They did something that we hadn’t seen before. We almost completed the pass. Fourth-and-15’s difficult against their defense, and we had a chance to do it. Hopefully, that’ll help us down the line.”

(On what he’s seen out of San Francisco so far)
“They’re a very talented team with depth. They’ve got injuries but they’ve done a real good job with their depth, and if a guy goes down, somebody else steps up. And they have a very talented quarterback, and I’m sure they’re going to be determined to get the run game going, as we will. When (RB) Frank Gore has 11 carries in a loss, you can sense the frustration. The Colts ran 39 times against them yesterday and the time of possession, when you’re playing a quarterback like ‘Kaep’ (QB Colin Kaepernick), you’ve got to keep him on the sideline. And that was the Colts’ philosophy and they did a nice job with it.”

(On today’s practice)
“Were going to do enough outside to get things done. We’ll follow the same schedule pretty much that we followed for the Thursday night game last year.”

(On how he’s had this week’s schedule in place)
“This has been planned for weeks, yes. This week’s schedule – yes.”

(On why he thinks they played San Francisco tough last year)
“We ran the football. We played hard. We made plays, as they did. I think we matched up well against them. Special teams, we needed some breaks in the first game just to get to overtime and we got those breaks. We had to fake a couple punts to steal a couple possessions and caught them off guard. But, they’re a very talented football team. (Head) Coach (Jim Harbaugh) has done a really nice job bouncing back after losses, so I would expect them to be ready to play when they come here.”

(On how to get the running game going)
“We’ve just got to hand it off more. We haven’t had the opportunities – we’ve gotten behind. We’ve got to get back to that early in the game.”

(On if he planned to use the no-huddle offense at Dallas)
“No, I didn’t. Not for a while but we eventually had to go to it. But, very difficult to do there.”

(On why it was difficult to go to the no-huddle)
“Noise, silent count and their rusher. Their rush, it plays into their hands. When you’ve got a good pass rush on defense and you go hurry-up because you’re behind and you’re one-dimensional, it plays into the defense’s hands.”

(On if the Dallas defense did more stunts than they had showed in the first two games)
“They did some stunting but part of the stunting, we forced them into the stunting based on our protections. So, it wasn’t the stunting that was the problem.”

(On S T.J. McDonald’s blind side block penalty on the punt return)
“We had – there were two blind side blocks called on both punt returns and I would support the call. I don’t think they’re fouls, but I would support the call because the officials have been encouraged to officiate on the side of player safety. And so, I could see why that was called, but in my opinion, it was a clean block. It was a big hit and we’re fortunate that the Dallas defender got up because it was quite a lick, but I think the expectation once anyone sees that is that it’s a peel back block.”

(On if where the contact is made matters for a blind side block penalty)
“It does matter, yes. It was in the chest, the shoulder. Yes, we all saw it.”

(On if McDonald made contact too high on the Dallas defender)
“No, it’s not but what I’m trying to explain to you is that the officiating department has been encouraged to officiate on the side of player safety. So, if there is any question whatsoever whether the block is potentially too high – it’s a very quick moment, then they’re going to throw the flags. It’s easy to slow things down frame by frame by frame on video replay and say, ‘Yes, it’s a foul,’ or ‘No, it’s a foul.’ It’s very hard to do in real time.”

(On how he knows his team will bounce back for Thursday’s game)
“Yeah, but you know what – this is the National Football League. You can’t dwell on it. You have to have a short-term memory, and if you don’t, then you won’t bounce back. This team, by and large despite that it’s young, has a short-term memory and understands the next challenge and that’s where we’re going. When we walk in the building, I’m not going to discuss anything as far as the Cowboys are concerned. I’m going to start talking about our challenge on Thursday night because it makes no sense to do that. And so, you explain what we haven’t done over the last three weeks and where we need to get better. That’s our philosophy and that’s the coaches’ philosophy in the building. You have put those things behind you and move on.”

(On how he knows they can make the corrections for Thursday)
“Well, here’s what we can’t do and here’s what we have to do, and just point out and give them a list of things they need to improve. Despite all, there were some redeeming things that did happen. We had a couple guys on defense that played very, very well. 21’s (CB Janoris Jenkins) playing good football. 52’s (LB Alec Ogletree) getting better. He had a lot of plays, made a lot of plays. So, we’ve got some young guys that are really stepping up, and we’re going to have to make sure they continue to improve and bring the rest of the guys with them.”

(On if during a normal week the team has more time to dwell on mistakes)
“Yes.”

(On if the team will have a corrections period today or if they will go straight into preparation for San Francisco)
“We have a philosophy here in the building and we’re going to follow that philosophy as far as how we go about correcting things on short weeks, on long weeks, on bye weeks and things like that. And that’s our business. I’ve been doing this a long time and we’re going to get it done, and we’re going to have their focus on the 49ers.”

EastRam

Pro Bowler
What I got from that...

Pansy arse reporters asking pansy arse questions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
(On if the offense’s slow start was because of offensive mistakes or the Cowboys’ defense)

“It was their defense. They were outstanding up front. It was loud, outstanding. They were getting penetration and they were matching up routes. We just could not get things going. A couple three-and-outs, it took us a while to get a first down. That’s something that obviously we can’t let happen against anybody, but have to put that behind us as quick as we can.”

(On if the offense was slowed because of opposing defenses through the first three games)

“Well, we gave up plays defensively in Atlanta and we again gave up plays defensively that we should not have last week. So, you get off the field, get the ball back for your offense, it gives them more opportunities and we weren’t doing that.”

He didn't answer these questions.

First, Fisher... The slow start wasn't just the Dallas defense! It's been three games. It's been mistakes.

Second, Fisher... While it's true we gave up plays defensively in Atlanta, Dallas, and home against AZ... it doesn't explain why the offense has been starting slow!

I sure hope he's not in denial about the failure of the offensive scheme. Because, it sounds like a man making excuses - or - completely unaware.

We keep heading down this path, expect the same results.

It's a day later and I'm still pissed! Time for real answers! :cool:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
CGI_Ram said:

He didn't answer these questions.

First, Fisher... The slow start wasn't just the Dallas defense! It's been three games. It's been mistakes.

Second, Fisher... While it's true we gave up plays defensively in Atlanta, Dallas, and home against AZ... it doesn't explain why the offense has been starting slow!

I sure hope he's not in denial about the failure of the offensive scheme. Because, it sounds like a man making excuses - or - completely unaware.

We keep heading down this path, expect the same results.

It's a day later and I'm still pissed! Time for real answers! :cool:

Why doesn't anyone ask him a hard question? Don't misread me. I love Fisher as our coach.

But hey man. Sometimes you have to call it as you see it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm still waiting to hear bernie ask him when he plans on entering the 21st century of NFL coaching.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I was expecting his normal coach speak and I wasn't disappointed.

That was the first time I haven't been disappointed in weeks.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
What I got from this is we are going to run more which scares me into thinking that we may have some 3rd and longs with a defense T ing off on Bradshaw YIKES....

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – September 23, 2013

(Opening statement)
“As I said last night, we have a tremendous challenge on our hands here, putting this one behind us as quickly as we can. We’ve not had anything official with the players. We let them rest up this morning. We’ll be visiting with them at 2:00, and putting this into perspective, and then moving right into the 49ers. Today, in a normal game week, is actually Thursday afternoon if that puts things into perspective for you. So, we’ve got a lot to do. As far as just kind of recapping the game yesterday, really the key is third down. When you’re playing a good offensive team like we faced yesterday, where our offense is struggling, the defense is going to have to get turnovers or get the ball back and we didn’t do that. That really, to me, is the difference in the game. They did an outstanding job on third down – a couple areas that we must improve on if we’re going to win football games and a short time to do it. So, that will be our focus this week as we get ready for the 49ers. The 49ers, in a lot of ways, probably see themselves in the same situation that we’re in – let one slip away. Got beat at home, now have to deal with some injuries, and then come here on a short week. So, they have as equal as great a challenge as we do. It should be a short week and a good ball game.”
The D not getting turnover is the "difference in the game"? Really? C'mon Fish, I have a lot of respect for you, but please don't Bullshit us.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
EastRam said:
What I got from that...

Pansy arse reporters asking pansy arse questions.
What I got was, Fisher knows the refs hear what coaches say about them

RamzFanz

Damnit
He sounds drunk.

If noise is the reason he didn't run the no huddle in Dallas even when the Rams were getting crushed and humiliated, perhaps he will run it early at home Thursday and get out ahead? Get some early points in the manner we know that offense can? Energize the players and fans?

:lmao: , yeah, I'm kidding.

Speeps

Starter
I love Fisher.

With that said, I dont have time for anymore excuses. Am I the only one who notices that what we saw in the preseason, is what we're seeing now?

Are we still Vanilla?

TexasRam

Legend
I am losing respect for Fisher.

Stop acting like everyone else is an idiot when your the one getting horribly outcoached and failing on all sides of the ball with a very talented team.

Man up. Tell us something like "we are getting outcoached and that is on us to figure out how to change what we are doing so this team can complete".

You have done a great job amassing talent.

Time to admit what you are doing isnt working. That is the first step to recovery.

Even Aldon Smith can admit he has a problem. Geez.

What is the chance that Kroenke steps in and tells Fisher he wants "change" if you know what I mean.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
TexasRam said:
What is the chance that Kroenke steps in and tells Fisher he wants "change" if you know what I mean.
Zero.

And you'll be hard pressed to find a coach who says the things you want Fisher to say. Outside of Jim Mora of course.

sent via Tapatalk.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I wish he would have said this in his opening statement... "I'm pissed off. The players are pissed off. The coaches are pissed off. The whole organization is pissed off. We laid a giant egg yesterday and it's unacceptable. I promise you we will play better Thursday! With that said, I will now take your questions."

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
MTRamsFan said:
I wish he would have said this in his opening statement... "I'm pissed off. The players are pissed off. The coaches are pissed off. The whole organization is pissed off. We laid a giant egg yesterday and it's unacceptable. I promise you we will play better Thursday! With that said, I will now take your questions."
YA!

Speeps

Starter
MTRamsFan said:
Don't even take questions. Just walk off.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here's the statement I had a problem with:

"Their rush, it plays into their hands. When you’ve got a good pass rush on defense and you go hurry-up because you’re behind and you’re one-dimensional, it plays into the defense’s hands.

Um... with the slow starts is it inconceivable to do the no huddle BEFORE you get behind and are forced to play one dimensional? If you wait to use it until you are behind anyway - which is what we've done - are you not ALWAYS going to be one dimensional in the no huddle - or for that matter in ANY offense you are running at that point? So why has no huddle been fairly successful for us when we did run it especially being that we were way behind and were the definition of "one dimensional"? I don't get it. A little help here. Can someone esplain?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
TexasRam said:
Zero.

And you'll be hard pressed to find a coach who says the things you want Fisher to say. Outside of Jim Mora of course.

sent via Tapatalk.
Never gets old. :lmao:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tie0tz7jGDI[/youtube]

RamzFanz

Damnit
Mojo Ram said:
X said:
TexasRam said:
Zero.

sent via Tapatalk.

THAT is what fisher should have said. I would have respected that and believed he was passionate about fixing it whatever the cause.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamzFanz said:
Mojo Ram said:
X said:
TexasRam said:
Zero.

sent via Tapatalk.

THAT is what fisher should have said. I would have respected that and believed he was passionate about fixing it whatever the cause.
You're going to be forever disappointed then, because Fisher doesn't do that. Guys like Mora, Singletary, Ryan and Denny Green are entertaining and all, but what do they ever fix on the heels of those tirades? Nada. Dungy never once yelled or cursed. Vermeil cried. If they win, it's cool. If not, they're too soft or don't care. This kinda stuff is the worst possible dime-store psych evaluation there is.

Sorry to keep rebutting you like this, man. But you keep lobbing them into my personal pet peeve house. lol.