TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 9-1-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – September 1, 2013

(On it being too wet to practice outside)
“Yeah, it came down pretty hard here. It really just popped up out of nowhere. It’s not an issue, we’re just kind of getting their legs back underneath them. We had a good session.”

(On QB Kellen Clemens)
“I’m not going to discuss the roster, who’s here, who’s not. We’ll have injury reports for you during the week – we’re in regular season.”

(On the job that GM Les Snead and the scouts do in finding capable undrafted rookie free agents)
“It’s something that everybody works at, the coaches. It’s a collective effort and it starts well before the draft. It’s basically one of those deals where you get a sense for guys on the board and if they’re still left on the board when the draft’s over, you basically express interest and show a need and fortunately we got some quality players.”

(On how helpful it is to find undrafted free agents)
“There’s pro bowlers that were undrafted college free agents. So, yeah, basically everybody’s doing it. You spend a lot of time on the bottom of those lists. You spend a lot of time in it, so it’s worked out good for us so far.”

(On if he is surprised about the team’s progress so far)
“Well, we haven’t played a game yet, so it’s probably one of those things you need to ask halfway through it. But, we’re very young. I think we’ve got 26 or 27 players on this roster that are either rookies or first year players. We’re a very young football team. One would assume with that being said, you’re just going to continue to get better. But, we’ve got a lot of players that haven’t seen a lot of things yet.”

(On what he thinks he does well as a coach)
“This isn’t about me. This is about surrounding yourself with good people. Unless you’ve got good people around you, you’re going to have a hard time being successful, so if anything maybe I got lucky at that.”

(On T Jake Long)
“He had a great camp, great preseason. Ready to go, feels healthy. He’s excited about playing.”

(On how he sees his team stacking up against the NFC West)
“Well, we’ve got our first opportunity this week and we’ll find out. I think Arizona is a much improved team over the last year and we know what the other two are capable of doing. I think us and Arizona are chasing them, feel like we’ll be chasing them for a while. But, Arizona started off, I think 5-0 last year, so they’re a good football team as well.”

(On his approach to the season opener)
“Yeah, it’s a completely different deal now. These count now. It’s serious and we’re still going to have fun, we’re going to get our work done, but it’s important that we cover everything we possibly can.”

(On if there is a risk of over preparing for Week 1 of the regular season)
“No. I think we had a 12 play period today, that’s it. So, we have a good feel for how much they can take and not doing too much. We’re just going to get them in a normal preparation week and get them focused and go.”

(On the Arizona Cardinals)
“Very talented, well-coached. (Head Coach) Bruce (Arians) has been successful wherever he’s been. He knows what he’s doing, so it’s going to be a challenge for us.”

(On Cardinals QB Carson Palmer)
“He’s tall, he’s accurate, he’s mobile, more mobile than what people think. He’s got a good receiving group out there and understands the offense. He does a lot on the line of scrimmage, and we’ll expect to see a lot of things that we have not seen in the preseason. So, our ability to adjust this week’s going to be very important.”