TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 8-18-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[stl]9cceba78-aecb-4a5a-adca-f0a3d90d5852[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/9cceba78-aecb-4a5a-adca-f0a3d90d5852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... a3d90d5852</a>

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – August 18, 2013

(On if he has an opening statement)
“No opening statement – no, still in the process of watching tape. Have to get back up.”

(On if he’s seen improvements from preseason Week 1 to Week 2)
“Yeah, obviously there are some good things and there are some things we have to get corrected. When you look at a game, just from a win/loss perspective and what contributes to that, you’re minus in the takeaway/giveaway category. You convert one third-down, you’ve got very little chance of being successful there. And then we had some penalties, we had some defensive offsides we’ve got to correct and some missed tackles. But, when you start looking at the individual performances, particularly as they relate to some of the younger guys improving from one week to the next, you become encouraged. We have to correct the mistakes and point out the good things that happened and continue to keep the pressure on this football team, especially this week from a preparation standpoint and an improvement standpoint.”

(On going 1-14 on third-down conversions)
“We’ve got a lot of people going, a lot of third downs were in the second half. A lot of pressures, a lot of incomplete passes, some breakdowns here. Hard to convert third-and-18’s, third-and-14’s and things like that. It’s an area we work on. We’ll actually emphasize it this week and hope to improve upon it.”

(On the poor defensive tackling and if there is a common denominator to the cause)
“No, I just stand behind what I said last night. We didn’t tackle as well as we’re capable of and we have to get better at it – and we will.”

(On how S Rodney McLeod played)
“Rodney was fine. Rodney is very active. He’s active on special teams and he was in the right place and did a nice job. He’s a guy that we can trust to go in the game and play either safety position and be productive.”

(On if he saw CB Brandon McGee’s defensive pass interference penalty)
“I didn’t see pass interference. I saw the flag but I didn’t see the foul. That was a great play, I thought.”

(On how DE Gerald Rivers played in place of DE Eugene Sims)
“He made some plays early, yeah, against their starters, which is good to see. It’s one of those situations where he’s taking advantage of Eugene not being here. He stepped up on the depth chart and made some plays, so we’ll continue to evaluate him. Week 2 of camp I think he got tired, slowed down a little bit, but he, (Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle, has got him going now and it’s good to see him running around.”

(On if Rivers was a linebacker in college)
“Yeah, he was kind of a stand-up guy. Not used to having his hand down, but he’s adjusting well. I think he’s – it’ll be interesting to see how he does in the next couple weeks.”

(On how the run blocking was in Saturday’s game)
“We really didn’t commit to the run. It was hard because of what they were doing and what we were trying to do. I’m not concerned about it. We’ve got to get better at it, but we didn’t have enough carries in the ball game, as many as you’d like. They kind of forced us out of it from a line of scrimmage standpoint. We want to look at the passing game as well, but we’ll get back to it this week. The first group I thought did a good job. If a receiver makes a block on the first carry, (RB) Isaiah (Pead) may score.”

(On how the back-up quarterbacks have played so far and what the playing time will be for the remainder of the preseason)
“We’ll go back to Austin (Davis) this week as a No. 2, and Kellen (Clemens) we’ll be a No. 3. We’ll continue to evaluate them. They were under siege and under fire and got thumped a little bit yesterday, which you don’t want to have happen. Not that we’re caught off guard, but some of the things they were doing defensively were a little advanced for where we were in the game plan.”

(On if Green Bay’s defense stacked the box against the run)
“Yeah. There were a lot of people on the line of scrimmage throughout the game, and obviously (QB) Sam (Bradford) took advantage of it. When we wanted try to get the ball handed off to evaluate the young backs, it was difficult to do. So, we ended up just picking it up and throwing it.”

(On Bradford’s fumble in Saturday’s game)
“The ball just came lose. There’s a lot of bodies in there, it came lose. One of those things that happens every once in a great while, and I’m glad it happened in preseason not in the regular season.”

(On Bradford spreading the ball around to different receivers through the first two preseason games)
“Well, that’s the design of the offense – is to spread it around, take advantage of matchups. Yesterday, for example, they were doubling (WR) Tavon (Austin) on third down. So, he went elsewhere and made the plays. I just think as we mature offensively, as the younger players grow into this offense, there’s going to be more opportunities for Sam. He read, made good decisions, and has been throwing the ball with great accuracy all of camp.”

(On what he thought of the offensive line’s blitz pick-up after Saturday’s game)
“It needs to get better. I didn’t have a probably with the starters, that’s fine. It’s just you’ve got a lot of guys. (T) D.J. (Young) was playing – we signed him what a week ago and he’s playing right tackle against that defense. Sometimes there are going to be some problems with that.”

(On how RT Joe Barksdale played on Saturday)
“I thought Joe was good. He hung in there and played well. He played well against the Packers last year in the regular season. I thought he hung in there and played pretty well. We’re hoping to get (RT) Rodger (Saffold) back this week.”

(On how G Shelley Smith played on Saturday)
“He was OK.”

(On if TE Lance Kendricks or DT Jermelle Cudjo will start practicing this week)
“They’ll be closer. We’ll just have to see.”