TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 8-16-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[stl]8739dbb7-70db-4cad-bb12-6b8c3247f275[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/8739dbb7-70db-4cad-bb12-6b8c3247f275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 8c3247f275</a>

(On his goals for the offense in Saturday’s game against Green Bay)
“We’ll move some people around a little bit. Obviously, we’re going to switch things at the guard position. May play some guys that you wouldn’t expect to see a little bit earlier in the game, a little bit earlier with the front guys. Overall, we want to continue to minimize mistakes and eliminate the penalties. We had too many penalties last week that were pre-snap penalties – we don’t need those. So, those are the things we’re looking for – just execution. We’re looking for touchdowns and not field goals.”

(On how it helps having former Rams WR Torry Holt working with the receivers)
“It’s been great. Obviously, all of our receivers are big fans of Torry’s, and they’re very familiar with his accomplishments. It’s great to have somebody with his experience offer up a little tip here and there and see things a little bit differently.”

(On seeing Packers QB Vince Young get another chance)
“I was happy that he got a chance. I know he’d been working out – that was well documented. He must have gone in and impressed them and actually went in the game last week and did a nice job considering he had only been there for a short time.”

(On CB Janoris Jenkins)
“He’s ahead of where he was last year, which is good, what you expect. He’s working on the little detail things right now. Janoris understands that it’s OK not to experiment, but to play them on the practice field so that you get comfortable in the game. And with that being said, on a rare occasion, there may be a ball that goes over his head. But, that’s part of working with the little detail things of playing the position.”

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
News Bot said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/8739dbb7-70db-4cad-bb12-6b8c3247f275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 8c3247f275</a>

“We’ll move some people around a little bit. [hilite]Obviously, we’re going to switch things at the guard position. May play some guys that you wouldn’t expect to see a little bit earlier in the game, a little bit earlier with the front guys.[/hilite] Overall, we want to continue to minimize mistakes and eliminate the penalties. We had too many penalties last week that were pre-snap penalties – we don’t need those. So, those are the things we’re looking for – just execution. We’re looking for touchdowns and not field goals.”

“It’s been great. Obviously, all of our receivers are big fans of Torry’s, and they’re very familiar with his accomplishments. It’s great to have somebody with his experience offer up a little tip here and there and see things a little bit differently.”

“I was happy that he got a chance. I know he’d been working out – that was well documented. He must have gone in and impressed them and actually went in the game last week and did a nice job considering he had only been there for a short time.”

(On CB Janoris Jenkins)
“He’s ahead of where he was last year, which is good, what you expect. He’s working on the little detail things right now. Janoris understands that it’s OK not to experiment, but to play them on the practice field so that you get comfortable in the game. And with that being said, on a rare occasion, there may be a ball that goes over his head. But, that’s part of working with the little detail things of playing the position.”
Hmmmm. Anyone want to guess what this means?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Barrett Jones?
Yep. Barrett at RG, and Conrath on D.

This potentially, can spell real trouble for Harvey Dahl, if you ask me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You kidding? Jones is not a threat to Dahl this year. no Way. Didn't you see Jones get pushed around last week?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Elmgrovegnome said:
You kidding? Jones is not a threat to Dahl this year. no Way. Didn't you see Jones get pushed around last week?
I don't think pushed around is an adequate description of how he played at all. He played well. I studied his every snap in detail.

My point with Dahl isn't that Jones will take his spot, but S. Smith certainly can, and if Barrett can play there in a pinch, then he's a good interior swing guy, and the depth at that position gets a lot deeper.

Now, this has to play out, and Jones will have to play well, but he is getting an opportunity with the 2nd unit on Saturday it seems. If he plays well, Dahl could be in trouble. By the way, Dahl didn't play well at all in that preseason game, so he needs to step it up too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Love. Torry. Holt.

My first guess was Stedman Baily playing with the 1's a little bit.

wolfman84

Rookie
Wow. I completely took that in a different way. I thought he was referring to Smith getting the start instead of Williams, switching off just like they've done in practice, and then seeing the other running backs get in early to get a chance to run behind the 1st string line.

V3

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Elmgrovegnome said:
I don't think pushed around is an adequate description of how he played at all. He played well. I studied his every snap in detail.

My point with Dahl isn't that Jones will take his spot, but S. Smith certainly can, and if Barrett can play there in a pinch, then he's a good interior swing guy, and the depth at that position gets a lot deeper.

Now, this has to play out, and Jones will have to play well, but he is getting an opportunity with the 2nd unit on Saturday it seems. If he plays well, Dahl could be in trouble. By the way, Dahl didn't play well at all in that preseason game, so he needs to step it up too.

Dahl didn't play that well last year either, if I recall. I'm pretty sure Bernie even went over some stats showing how he started to decline.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
News Bot said:

“We’ll move some people around a little bit. [hilite]Obviously, we’re going to switch things at the guard position. May play some guys that you wouldn’t expect to see a little bit earlier in the game, a little bit earlier with the front guys.[/hilite] Overall, we want to continue to minimize mistakes and eliminate the penalties. We had too many penalties last week that were pre-snap penalties – we don’t need those. So, those are the things we’re looking for – just execution. We’re looking for touchdowns and not field goals.”

(On CB Janoris Jenkins)

My take on that is he is referring to OBVIOUSLY they are gonna stay with the rotations and "switch things up" by "starting" S. Smith.

I also think you may see Barnes in the game sooner than later, as they continue to limit Wells. I mentioned in another post, I wouldn't be surprised to see Barksdale get a few more reps at RT, then after taking his turn at LG, see C. Williams slide out to RT as well.

You might see Jones get a few reps at Guard, but that is less likely than a few of the other guys rotating in.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
V3 striking a chord:
Dahl didn't play that well last year either, if I recall. I'm pretty sure Bernie even went over some stats showing how he started to decline.
That's really the only difference between my view and BonifayRam's view of the O-line. He is very high on Dahl while I think he's serviceable but in decline. While saying that he was the best overall performer on the O-line last year might be true, that's only because he played the most snaps IMO. I also thought he got worn down a little as the season progressed.
I believe that this will be his last year as a Ram unless he signs for the vet minimum to play backup next year. I'm hoping we address the O-line early in the draft next year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
News Bot said:

(On CB Janoris Jenkins)

My take on that is he is referring to OBVIOUSLY they are gonna stay with the rotations and "switch things up" by "starting" S. Smith.

[hilite]I also think you may see Barnes in the game sooner than later, as they continue to limit Wells. I mentioned in another post, I wouldn't be surprised to see Barksdale get a few more reps at RT, then after taking his turn at LG, see C. Williams slide out to RT as well.[/hilite]

You might see Jones get a few reps at Guard, but that is less likely than a few of the other guys rotating in.

I was referring to the "We'll move some people around a little bit" portion of his speech.

I envision it much the same way, and B. Jones is probably getting the reps at RG, because of attrition, the poor play of some of the guys last week, which made C. Williams the emergency Tackle, IMO, which appears to be playing out, and the combo of Saffold -domino effect- and Dahl's poor play. In essence, we have been forced to shift depth. I'm sure we'll get a look at D.J. Young too at some point at Tackle.

You only keep so many lineman, so when Saffold comes back, and IF B. Jones plays really well at RG, Smith, and Williams already looking pretty good at RG and LG...then Dahl could be in trouble at some point. It's not going to happen in a day, it's a process. Now, Barnes is clearly ahead of Jones at Center, but it's hard to keep a Center only on the 54, so he could be the one who is impacted, so I'd really like to see how he handles playing Guard.

If Jones gets a run with the 2's as your camp report suggested, it's a big deal to me, with the limited amount of work he's done so far. As is Conrath possibly starting over Langford.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
V3 striking a chord:
That's really the only difference between my view and BonifayRam's view of the O-line. He is very high on Dahl while I think he's serviceable but in decline. While saying that he was the best overall performer on the O-line last year might be true, that's only because he played the most snaps IMO. I also thought he got worn down a little as the season progressed.
I believe that this will be his last year as a Ram unless he signs for the vet minimum to play backup next year. I'm hoping we address the O-line early in the draft next year.
I had Dahl at only being average last year.