TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 12-23-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – December 23, 2013

(On T Jake Long’s injury)
“It was confirmed Jake has a torn ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial cruciate ligament), so with respect to the fact that there also is the MCL included, the surgery probably will be delayed maybe four to six weeks. He takes very good care of himself. He understands what’s ahead. It’s obvious he’s shocked right now, but he’s indicated that he’ll be back and good to go. (G/T) Rodger (Saffold) will move over and he’ll finish the season at left (tackle), and we were very fortunate to have (G) Shelley (Smith) go in. Those guys played pretty well after we lost Jake.”

(On if Long got caught up in the turf, resulting in the injury)
“Yeah, it was non-contact. He was just a little off balance and just kind of one of those weird things that happened.”

(On if the MCL heals on its own)
“Yes, that’s why you do that. You want the MCL to scar back down and then he’ll gain some strength in the quad. Then, they’ll go ahead and fix the ACL.”

(On if it is doubtful Long will be back by the start of the 2014 season)
“No, I wouldn’t say doubtful. I think there’s a difference between a skilled player and an interior lineman, especially offensive lineman. Now this is the first one that I’ve been associated with from an offensive line standpoint and an ACL, but doctors were very optimistic, as he was.”

(On if the nature of the position could enable him to come back sooner than a skill player)
“There’s a chance he could come back sooner, yeah.”

(On if there is a chance G Harvey Dahl could start this week)
“There’s a chance that Harvey could play as well this week. He’s nursing some different things, but he’s been practicing so we’ll see.”

(On if Dahl came back too quick from his MCL injury)
“No, he didn’t come back too quick. He’s just nursing a couple things right now.”

(On how Long played this year)
“Jake played well for us. He really shored up that side of the offensive line, and it gave Rodger (Saffold) an opportunity to move over and play well at right tackle. Then, Rodger excelled at guard and then came back yesterday at left tackle and it’s like he’d been playing there all year long. Rodger, since healing up, has had an outstanding year. And you look at the offensive line with (C) Tim (Barnes) inside and Shelley (Smith) getting a chance to play, guys moving around still to be able to do what we did yesterday from a protection standpoint – one sack, no penalties. We were able to run the football against a very good run defense and protect the passer. It’s a pretty impressive effort.”

(On the depth of the offensive line)
“It speaks volumes of the depth, but also what (Offensive Line) Coach ‘Bou’s’ (Paul T. Boudreau) doing in there with them. If you watch practice, you see everybody gets opportunities. Everybody gets reps. He’s making sure that everybody has an opportunity during the week in the event that they’re called upon.”

(On where he likes Saffold best)
“Rodger’s a tremendous athlete and, when healthy, you could put him up there with some of the best in the league. I think we would like to think his future is probably at right guard or even left guard for that matter, but he plays the tackle position very well.”

(On why they prefer Saffold at guard)
“We like him as a puller. He does an outstanding job pulling, and a lot of what we’ve done in the run game this year has involved him pulling.”

(On if losing Long changes how they approach the 2014 Draft)
“We’ll address that once we’re finished with this season, but I would have confidence in him coming back. He’s an exceptional athlete, takes care of himself, understands rehab and he’ll get himself back and ready to play.”

(On the improvement of the defense against the run)
“Well, we had a couple rough games. As I told you, we had 75 rushes in five days and that’s a lot of run attempts to defend. The reason for the success, I think, the answer has pointed to the other side of the ball. We’re running the football and our defense is staying off the field. We’re not getting the number of three-and-outs that we had early in the year and obviously there’s been focus and improvement. Safeties’ play has been much better. Corners’ play has been much better, not that that was the issue. I think by and large inside we’re playing better. We made some changes up front, just some minor schematic changes and it’s been paying off for us. Above all, I think they just play real hard – that helps, as hard as they’re playing.”

(On the defense limiting big plays over the last few weeks)
“We’ve reduced them on top. We’ve kept the ball in front of us and that’s been a focus. Overall, I’d like to think the improvement that you see on our defense actually reflects the improvement of the team because our special teams have settled down and they’re doing well. Offensively, we’re running the football and keeping the defense off the field and have been scoring some points. It’s not easy. Five out of the top five defenses are in the NFC and three of them are in our division. So, it’s been a tough go offensively, but we’re battling. We’ve got another big challenge this week.”

(On S T.J. McDonald and LB Alec Ogletree playing well recently and how they played against the Buccaneers)
“They both played very well. T.J. got the sack. He had some nice open field tackles, and ‘Tree’ (Ogletree) had two more caused fumbles. He’s very good at that. He’ll be very good at that for a number of years, so pleased with their improvement and their production.”

(On if WR Tavon Austin has a chance of playing this week against the Seahawks)
“Yeah. I think he’s got a better chance this week than he did last.”

(On DE Robert Quinn’s success)
“It’s incredible effort. It’s relentless play, and his pursuit and his athletic ability. It’s hard to describe. You see it and it seems like at the point of the game, you get to the end of the game, and all eyes are on Robert. You watch our sideline and all eyes were on Rob. So, he gets banged by the back and bends inside and twists and turns and weaves and next thing you know the quarterback’s on the ground and the ball’s on the ground. It’s just been an outstanding effort this year.”

(On if the increase of forced fumbles this season is because there are two players that are skilled in forcing them)
“That contributes to it, but everybody’s going after the football. We’ve got a lot of caused fumbles and not as many recovered fumbles. We’ve had a lot of balls on the ground that we didn’t get, but at least the balls are coming out now. I think we’ve done a pretty good job of protecting the football offensively. That was (RB) Zac’s (Stacy) first and, hopefully, it’s his last this year. Then ‘Kell’ (QB Kellen Clemens), that was a difficult play. We’d probably like to have that play call back again and gone with something else. But, we felt like he had a chance to surprise them on the quarterback draw. Like we talked about yesterday, for us to turn the ball over twice yet still win convincingly was a good sign.”

(On if he likes the fact that Sunday’s game against Seattle could mean something for the Seahawks)
“Yeah, we’d much prefer that because, in a lot of ways, if it didn’t and they locked up home field throughout and everything then you guys put the little asterisk by the win if that happens. We’d rather have it mean something.”

(On what it would be like to finish .500)
“We were close last year. It’d be great. It’d be a great way to go into the offseason, but I think overall what we’ve done over the last couple weeks against a very good opponent – in particular, two weeks ago – I think you can see the improvement. That’s where we are. The guys, I heard them talking yesterday after the ball game that they’ve got a lot of games left. They don’t want to stop playing. So, that ought to be a daily reminder as we push through the offseason.”

(On Stacy and WR Stedman Bailey’s progression this season and their contributions against the Buccaneers)
“We’re pleased with it. We talk often about it. Sometimes, it takes a little bit longer, but we felt like both of them had the potential. That’s why we drafted them and just very pleased with their production. ‘Sted’ (Bailey) did an outstanding job yesterday, not only with the reverse, but the two catches and some tremendous efforts on specials teams that you really don’t see.”

(On comparing former Rams defensive lineman Deacon Jones to Quinn)
“It’s unfair to compare him, the two of them. He was an outstanding player. The game was different then, completely different. They were permitted to do a lot more, in particular with their hands, than you are now.”

(On if the NFC West’s 29-10 record against teams outside the division speaks to the its toughness)
“It does, but again, I feel like we’re closing the gap. We’re closing the gap and I hope we’ll be able to catch the other teams. I think one of the things that you probably would discover is how teams struggle after they’ve played teams in our division the next week because they’re such physical ball games.”