TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 10-7-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – News Conference – October 7, 2013

(Opening statement)
“Injury wise, we got through the game really, pretty much without incident, which was good. Which means that the guys that didn’t play are healing up. We’ve got a chance to maybe get a couple back this week with the exception of maybe (RT) Rodger (Saffold) and (S) T.J. (McDonald). So, injury wise things… we’re OK. Looking at tape I thought there were some good things. Saw more good things on the tape than really saw in person. I saw room for improvement, as is the case in every game. Offensively, no turnovers, no penalties and ran the football for over 140 yards. That’s kind of the winning equation. So, keep that up and then get your turnovers and things defensively, get a chance at least to play and win most games. Special teams, obviously, the penalties are of a concern, but we addressed it this morning, each and every one of them. It’s frustrating for our returner in that there’s been a number of quality returns called back. As I mentioned several weeks ago, there were some of those things that I disagreed with. I think I could point out one or two more in the game, but that’s just our game right now and sometimes there’s mistakes.”

(On if there were some good calls on their special teams penalties)
“One was good and this is kind of where we’re at. (LB Ray) Ray’s (Armstrong) foul was a foul. When we’re covering punts, it is permissible to push a blocker in the back down the field after the ball’s caught. Ray was running with a block with a guy in front of him, and he thought for a moment there he was covering the punt not blocking the punt. So, he shoved him. I get it. That was his response right after. He felt bad. That’s just the special teams world. I’ve got tremendous confidence in the whole group in the room and Coach (Special Teams Coordinator John) Fassel. It’s very important to them. They work very hard. It’s going to turn around. We’ve got an outstanding returner and an outstanding scheme. We put each and individual of the fouls in perspective, discussed them – ‘ How do you avoid them?,’ whether in fact it was a foul or not. So, I’m confident that we’ll get it behind us.”

(On if WR Tavon Austin was in good spirits after having the returns called back)
“Yeah, I gave him a special teams game ball for having 91 punt return yards in the game today. So, he’s happy.”

(On if the game ball cheered Austin up)
“Yes, it did. And I showed him his stats if you take away the penalties.”

(On what Austin’s stats would be if the penalties did not occur)
“Significant. Almost 10 yards per carry, 257 yards, a long of 81 and one touchdown.”

(On if the special teams penalties would have impacted Austin’s returns)
“No.”

(On if the penalties are being called closer for all teams in the league)
“No, our opponents have seven and three of them were a delay of game, offsides on a kickoff, and I think a false start. So, there were four penalties over five games and we have an unusually large number. We’ll get it corrected. But again, the confidence in the room – the guys are good. I think everybody else in the world, after a long return, can look for a flag. We’re not going to because we’re not going to play that way.”

(On QB Sam Bradford’s ability to take care of the ball through the first three games)
“Making good decisions. Throwing the ball away as you saw. I thought he made some good decisions with his legs. A couple of throws yesterday, the one to (TE) Lance (Kendricks) on the bootleg to his left, throwing across his body with a guy in his face, an outstanding throw. And, same thing to find Tavon in the hole to keep that drive alive was another outstanding throw. Then, the touchdown pass to ‘AP’ (WR Austin Pettis) was a great throw. I thought he picked it up. He can still do much better just like all of us. We could all do much better.”

(On if the standards vary among different referee crews)
“It’s the same standard. It’s a universal standard. One of the best things that has happened over the last couple years is what Dean Blandino and Al Riveron are putting into effect in the officiating department. They’re doing an outstanding job. The communication is outstanding. The communication with the officials is outstanding. (Head Referee) Tony (Corrente) did, I thought they all did a really good job. And they missed a couple. And they’d come over to the side, I said, ‘This is what I thought I saw.’ It’s just the way it is.”

(On if the improvement on third down conversions was due to manageable distances)
“Yes, managing it. Disappointed that we got stopped on a third-and-1, but we had third-and-2s, third-and-3s, and they’re much easier to convert than the longer down and distance. I think that’s particularly because of the running game.”

(On G Shelley Smith getting playing time at left guard)
“Just trying to get him some work – that’s all. (G) Chris (Williams) didn’t have any problems. He played well, just trying to get him some work.”

(On if Austin’s zig zag running patterns make it more difficult for the defense to block)
“It does, yeah, but our stuff is happening on the way down. It’s not necessarily happening right at the point of attack where he’s dipping and weaving. Work hard at running by people and not hitting them in the back.”

(On RB Zac Stacy)
“Would’ve liked to seen him get more carries, but that was the way the game went. He was hitting the hole and he had yards after contact – the violent yards, we refer to them at the running back position. He got to what he needed to do in the passing game and I thought in protection he was excellent.”

(On if Stacy earned another start next week)
“Yes, I think we’ll probably start this game off the same way we did yesterday.”

(On if the team can build from this win)
“We have to improve, yes. Obviously, you correct wins, losses, and you have to move forward but I think we can. I think we did some things we can build on, scheme-wise on both sides of the ball. So, that’s some things we’ve got to sort out. Defensively, we have to tackle better and we need to learn to rush at better with our backers, but we didn’t do a lot of pressure yesterday. We were getting adequate pressure. We really felt yesterday that once they make the trade with the tackle and now they alternate starting right tackles and when (T) Luke (Joeckel) went down, we knew that the ball was going to come out quick. And so, we didn’t feel like we needed to pressure. We just played coverage and stayed pretty basic.”

(On how the safeties played)
“They were fine. They were interchangeable. They were fine. They played hard. ‘Gio’ (Matt Giordano) had a big play and ‘Stew’s’ (Darian Stewart) first game back was effective. He graded out well. Wasn’t involved in a lot of plays. It was kind of a unique game. We kind of funneled the running back to the linebackers, and then Rodney (McLeod) was involved in some plays. They were OK.”

(On how he figured out McLeod could play the slot as a corner back)
“He’s our backup. He was our backup last year at that position. He got a lot of snaps in training camp at it. I mean, we’re not drawing straws now. He works at it. He knows our defense. He plays three positions in our defense. He’s smart and he was fine. He did a nice job.”

(On if CB Brandon McGee needs more work)
“Yeah, he’s getting better. When we go, we have the possibility to do some other packages with Rodney and Brandon. I don’t have any reservation whatsoever putting Brandon on defense. It’s just we got limited to one package this week just because of some things that happened during the week.”

(On how WR Brian Quick is progressing)
“Making plays. Playing more. We need to get the ball to him as often as we can when he’s on the field. The quarterback trusts him and he’s coming on. Those are two pretty good catches yesterday, one especially staying alive on the boundary picking up extra yards.”

(On LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s first game back)
“He was good. Had a really good week. Didn’t get a lot of shots because of their choice of personnel group, so we were in a lot of nickel. When he was on the field, he was active.”

(On if he considered calling a timeout before Jaguars WR Justin Blackmon’s touchdown)
“No, not at all. We had a chance to get lined up. That ball was snapped really quick. The chain crew wasn’t even set and they just got up and snapped it. Officials are trying to run around, trying to get in position and they snapped the ball, so it was kind of one of those things. In a close game, it could be a difference maker. We felt like we would be able to overcome it, but we definitely have to learn from it.”

(On if Austin is progressing as a wide receiver)
“Yeah, I thought he had one of his better games yesterday. He had the one drop on the little swing – extension of our running game, but he made some plays. It was a big catch and run in the hole on the far sideline.”