TRANSCRIPT: Rams CB E.J. Gaines, Conference Call, 5-10-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On being selected by the Rams)
“It’s a blessing, especially to stay close to home, close to where I played college football. I’m excited to play for (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher.”

(On if he was aware of the Rams’ interest in him)
“I did not. I didn’t know about a lot of teams. I’ve talked to a lot of teams in the past week and started to feel it. So the Rams, like I said, somewhere to be close to home, I’m excited to play, excited for my family and my friends to be able to come watch me play.”

(On if the Rams made contact with him during the NFL Combine and/or at his pro day)
“No, sir they did not. So, like I said, it came out of nowhere. I’m excited. I really am.”

(On if he was disappointed to still be available in the sixth round)
“I wouldn’t say disappointed, more surprised, but like I said, there’s very few people that get this chance to get drafted in the first place, so it’s a blessing. I know that going in I’m going to do whatever I have to be able to get on the field. So, I’m excited.”

(On what he can bring to the team and how he would describe his play)
“I think there’s plenty of things I can bring to the Rams as far as going inside and playing the nickel, playing outside at corner, even moving back and playing some safety. I’ll do whatever I have to, to get on the field. Like I said, if it’s special teams, inside, outside, safety, it doesn’t matter. I’ll do whatever I have to.”

(On how well he knows C Tim Barnes)
“I’m actually good friends with Tim. He was there my freshman year and he comes back to Mizzou since he’s right down the street. So, I talk to him quite a bit since he’s been with the Rams.”

(On where he is right now)
“I’m in Kansas City, Missouri back home with my friends and family right now.”

(On what his family and friends’ reaction was like after he was selected)
“They were screaming, yelling, crying, and kind of every emotion that is possible along with me, so they weren’t the only ones. They’re really excited for me. Like I said, they’re just as excited as me. We’re a close family and they’re just ready to watch me get back on the football field.”

(On if he was screaming, crying and yelling as well)
“Yes, I’m still shaking a little bit right now. I’m trying to keep my calm being on the phone with you guys, but, yeah, I’m very excited.”

(On if coming back to the Edward Jones Dome brings back memories of his high school state championship game)
“I was actually going to bring that up. Yes, it will. I can’t wait. That was the last time. Actually, I played my freshman year against Illinois in the Dome, so I’m excited to get back in there and make some more plays.”

(On what he knows about the Rams secondary and defense as a whole)
“Actually, I don’t know very much about them right now. I know that they, I can’t remember the kid’s name they drafted at corner that’s really good one the outside. I heard they let (CB) Cortland Finnegan go, but I know that I’ll be able to come in and definitely do something for the team.”

(On if Coach Jeff Fisher called him)
“Yes sir, Coach Fisher called me.”

(On if he’s been sitting in front of the TV the whole weekend watching the draft)
“Not the whole weekend but just yesterday and today. It’s been stressful. Just to get this call, me and my family are overwhelmed right now, but we’re so excited. I’m telling you, I’m ready to get out to St. Louis right now.”

(On if he had to take breaks outside to clear his head throughout the draft)
“Yeah, I took a lot of breaks to go clear my head. Like I said, I was just trying to stay busy and wait for the phone call and I’m glad. I’ve got to thank Coach Fisher for definitely giving me that phone call and giving me this opportunity.”

(On what he’s been doing to keep busy during the draft)
“I’ve been sitting, I’ve been shooting pool, I’ve been playing video games. I’ve been doing all kinds of stuff to try to keep my mind away from the TV. I know I have no say in who was going to call me, so when the phone call comes, just be by the phone to answer it.”

(On if he had his cell phone on him at all times)
“Yes, I took it everywhere I went. I had it in my hand. I don’t think I put it in my pocket once.”

(On making sure the battery is always charged)
“Yes, I actually bought a portable charger to carry around with me.”

(On when he gets to St. Louis)
“I actually don’t know. I haven’t (gotten) all the details. I’m just waiting for Coach Fisher to call me back and give them to me and whenever he does I’ll be out there in no time.”

(On being the second Mizzou player drafted by the Rams since the move to St. Louis and if it feels good to bring the Mizzou brand to the Edward Jones Dome)
“I’m excited. I’m very excited. I know the owner is a Mizzou alum, so that’s something that we already have in common. I’m already getting on his good side.”

(On if he has talked to Rams Owner Stan Kroenke since he has been drafted)
“No sir, I have not. When I get the opportunity, I will definitely thank him for giving me this opportunity, this chance to perform for his football team.”

(On if he has talked to former teammates Kony Ealy or Justin Britt since they have been drafted)
“No, I haven’t. I was going to wait until everything kind of calmed down, so I could give them a call, shoot them a text or something like that, but I’m excited for my teammates. I know they are excited for me. It was definitely a family atmosphere out there and I’m definitely going to bring the same thing to St. Louis.”

(On if any of the scouts along the pre-draft process asked him about his game against Texas A&M WR Mike Evans)
“Yes, they did. They brought it up. Actually all of them did. To see him go in the first round and see me go in the sixth is a little crazy to me, but like I said, it’s a blessing. God has a plan for me and for Mike Evans and I’m sure we’ll both be great in the NFL.”

(On if getting his opportunity to play in the NFL is what matters most)
“Yes, that’s definitely all that counts, is getting the opportunity and I can’t ask for much more.”