TRANSCRIPT: Jeff Fisher & QB Sam Bradford - 9/11/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – September 11, 2013

(On if the heat is good conditioning for the team)
“Yeah, I mean it’s important especially when you only have pads on for a portion of practice – to stay focused and execute. When you’re hot and tired it’s good work.”

(On if it was one of the toughest days from a weather standpoint)
“It’s been the hottest day so far. Yes.”

(On facing RB Steven Jackson)
“Again, personally, really happy for ‘Jack’. He’s in a good situation down there. You watch him in the first game, and he looked like he’s in great shape for the number of years that he’s played in this league. It’s going to be a big challenge for our defense. I’m sure he’s going to be excited to play. They’re a very talented team. He only ran it 14 times last week, and I’m sure they’re going to try to get their run game back on track. It’s going to be a big challenge for us.”

(On if he thought the Falcons played well against the Saints last week)
“Yeah, I thought they played well. The Saints got pressure on (QB) Matt (Ryan) and they had the opportunities to make some plays. He’s taking shots at the end zone to have a chance to tie the game. It was a very competitive opener for both teams.”

(On if it was tough seeing Jackson go in the offseason)
“We felt like it was in the best interest of everybody involved. This way the story ends real good. You’d like to think certainly his jersey’s retired back here whenever he’s done. We just wish him the best. He’s a class guy and was a tremendous leader in the locker room last year.”

(On how he thinks the running backs are progressing)
“Well, it’s still early. Daryl (Richardson), if he had not had that one play called back, was well over 100 all-purpose yards in the game with not a lot of touches. The younger backs, obviously, have ability and it’s just going to take time. They’re going to need snaps and reps and plays.”

(On how RB Isaiah Pead looked in practice)
“He’s, obviously, been working out. Under that specific suspension he is allowed in the building. He’s just not allowed on the practice field. He worked out very hard last week, so he’s good to go.”

(On if what the quarterback does in the fourth quarter carries more weight that the rest of the game)
“Yeah, especially when you put a two-minute drive together to get points to win the ball game. I think the best thing he did – he did a lot of good things in the game – just to shrug off the interception return for a touchdown and come back and go nine for nine. That shows a lot, experience and confidence. His position’s hard to play and sometimes those things are going to happen, but you can’t let them affect you. So, he came back and made plays.”

(On the number of games that could have been changed by one play in the past)
“Yeah, that’s why we feel he’s made strides. He’s just very comfortable in the offense. As they play more and more together, I think everybody will be more productive including (QB) Sam (Bradford).”

(On TE Jared Cook coming back from his fumble in the first quarter against the Cardinals)
“Yeah. In this business, you’ve got to have a very short memory and you’ve got to put things behind you. Sometimes there’s going to negative plays and you put them behind you and you just keep going. I think that kind of sums up the team last week because whatever happened the first three quarters was over. They knew they still had enough time and they made the plays.”

(On if Cook was a priority to acquire in free agency)
“Well, we were surprised that he made it to free agency, first off, because there was some talk that they may franchise him and such. But when they didn’t, we found out, then he became a priority. Yes.”

(On if he’s going to coach at USC)
“That’s absurd, they’re rumors.”

(On Cardinal DE Darnell Dockett’s comments about the Rams’ offensive line)
“Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and that’s fine. We’re going to play them again. I think that our line has done some good work here including the last couple games last year and then this year.”

(On Robert Quinn being named NFC Defensive Player of the Week)
“He was very productive. He played hard and I hope he can keep it up.”

(On the Falcons’ rookie CBs Robert Alford and Desmond Trufant)
“We don’t know about (CB) Asante (Samuel), but they both played very well. It’s a well-coached defense. (Head Coach) Mike (Smith) does a great job with them. They’re sound. They’re disciplined. They’ve got really good speed on defense. They’re going to be hard to attack. Again, when you’ve got a talented group and a sophisticated scheme that’s sound it creates problems for you.”

(On if Richardson will practice the rest of the week)
“Yeah, he’ll practice tomorrow. He just needed some rest.”

Rams QB Sam Bradford – Post-Practice – September 11, 2013

(On the challenges that Atlanta poses)
“They’re a good defense. They’ve very multiple in what they do. They’re going to throw a lot of different coverages, some different blitz looks on third downs. It’s going to be very important that we play with our eyes. Skill guys, we’ve got to see what they’re showing us pre-snap, but you’ve got to see the coverage post-snap because odds are it’s not going to be what they’re showing us pre-snap.”

(On the performance of the offensive line)
“I feel really good. I think those guys up front did a great job. We were very efficient in the pass game, and a big part of it was because of those guys. They kept the rush off. They didn’t have an easy job to do. That was a good defensive front that we faced on Sunday, and those guys played really well up front.”

(On what Falcons RB Steven Jackson meant to the team)
“’Jack’ meant a ton both on the field and off the field. I think I learned more about being a leader from ‘Jack’ than probably anything just watching the way that he handled himself in different situations in the locker room and on the field. Then obviously, on the field he had so much experience. He was really able to kind of help me in things that he saw, so having ‘Jack’ here was really invaluable for me.”

(On if he thinks it will change week to week which skill player shines on offense)
“Yeah, I think it just shows how deep we are at the skill positions. At tight end and wide receiver, even running back. Teams are going to have to look at who they want to try to stop, who they’re going to game plan for, but you can only double so many people. If they want to double (TE Jared) Cook this week, that’s going to leave a lot of singles (coverage) out there for (WRs) Chris (Givens), Tavon (Austin), ‘A.P.’ (Austin Pettis), (RBs Isaiah) Pead, Daryl (Richardson). I think you’re going to see the ball spread around quite a bit this year.”

(On how the young running backs are doing in filling the void of Steven Jackson)
“I think they’re doing a great job. Obviously, it’s tough, ‘Jack’ meant so much to this offense and to this organization while he was here. I think the greatest thing is that both Pead and Daryl were here last year and got to learn from him, and they got to see the way he approached the game and the way he worked. I think that I’ve seen those guys try to emulate that during the week of practice and in their preparation, and I think they’re doing a really good job of that.”

(On if the lack of experience at running back is a factor)
“No. I think those guys, they stepped up. They knew in the spring when ‘Jack’ left that it was time for them to grow up and time for them to mature and that they needed to have a really good spring and good training camp. I think they all did. They understood that they were in a competition for the starting running back job. They approached it like that every day. I think they really pushed each other to get better, and I think they’ve made tremendous strides from last year to this year.”

(On his performance in the fourth quarter)
“Obviously the fourth quarter is important but it’s just one quarter. Last week, we did some really good things obviously to come back and find a way to win. That’s definitely a big positive. But, at the same time, there were opportunities that we had in those first three quarters to probably put that game away or at least not put ourselves in that big of a hole. So, even though we did a great job in the fourth quarter, I think we’ve got to look at the whole performance, and there were a lot of things that needed to get cleaned up going into this week.”

(On if a positive response after making a mistake is a matter of pride)
“Oh, yeah. No doubt. We talk all the time, at quarterback you’ve got to have a short memory. Good play, bad play, it doesn’t matter. As soon as that play’s over, it’s over and you move on to the next one. Obviously, the interception, it was a big play. It game them seven points, it was unfortunate. But after it was over, there was nothing I could do about it except go out and play well and try to help my team come back and win.”

(On if having a short memory is difficult)
“I think when I was younger, especially in college, it was something that I struggled with. I let plays linger and hang on, and I think ‘Schotty’s’ (Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer) been really good about helping me get over that. It doesn’t matter. One play is one play, and whether it’s good or bad you’ve got to move on to the next one.”

(On if he is excited to utilize more of the playbook)
“Yeah. Let’s not get it wrong, I don’t think we were holding a whole lot back last week, but obviously there are some wrinkles that we have. I think the greatest thing about last week was we didn’t convert some opportunities, sudden changes when the defense gave us the ball in good field position. We still found a way to score 27 points, so it’s going to be interesting to see what we can do when we are clicking on all cylinders and take advantage of all those opportunities.”

(On moving on from Jackson’s departure)
“It was definitely a little different around here those first couple weeks without him here. I think the biggest thing was last week or a couple weeks ago when we were playing Baltimore in the preseason, turning on the film and actually seeing him in the Falcons jersey – that was really weird to see that. I think it’s a credit to the guys in this locker room and especially the guys in the running back position, I think that they’ve really stepped up. They’ve matured a lot and they’ve helped fill that void.”

(On if he thinks Chip Kelly’s and the Eagles’ offensive scheme is sustainable in the NFL)
“To be honest, I don’t know. It’ll be interesting to see. It was definitely pretty fun to watch the other night, especially in that first half. But, I think that still remains to be seen and we’ll find out.”