TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Assistant Head Coach Dav

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shaky

TRANSCRIPT: Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnis, Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, RB Steven Jackson
Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – December 6, 2012

(On moving practice indoors for the last portion)
“It actually worked out pretty good. I was impressed with the quick transition from outside to inside. We ran out of light and it’s a safety thing, and plus it’s a video issue. You can’t capture the plays like you would like to.”

(On if this was a day to sleep in)
“We started later. We brought them in late. All in the effort to get them back after the five quarter game. They’ve responded well.”

(On what problems the weather presents in Buffalo)
“That’s usually always the case when you go up there at this time of the year. So you go up there and both teams are playing in it and you make the most of it. Ball security becomes the issue - you have to protect the football. You have to handle and throw and catch a wet football.”

(On WR Danny Amendola)
“He was limited today in practice, so we’ll see how he is over the next couple days.”

(On if he can pinpoint why the team has struggled against the AFC East)
“No, they’ve just scored more points than we have in each game. But, we’re very much aware of that statistic.”

(On if he has brought it up to the team)
“No. Our focus is on this team, so those things mean nothing. They’re not going to think about that when the ball’s kicked off or when they’re playing. They’re going to think about their opponent, so that’s where you focus.”

(On why he wanted to bring DE William Hayes to St. Louis)
“I knew Will was obviously interested in moving on. When free agency started, we talked to him and he was really excited about the opportunity. I knew him well, (Dave McGinnis) Mac obviously knew him well. We felt like he would fit in here, really because he can play both sides. He’s a strong run player and he’s an effort player, so it’s nice when you know everything about the guy that you’re bringing in. We’re actually pleasantly surprised with how he’s picked things up now as…he has a good feel for the defense. We’re able to move him around. He’s playing inside, playing both tackle spots, playing the nose, playing both ends and been productive for us.”

(On how important it is to have depth)
“Well, right now we’re in good shape. Again, that’s one of the reasons that we brought him in because we felt like he would provide depth for us and provide productive reps any time we took any of the starters out and he’s done that in the past. Again, the last six weeks he’s played pretty well. He, along with all the defensive linemen played very well last week.”

(On QB Sam Bradford’s ability to throw the deep ball)
“He’s very, very accurate, and he’s got a good sense for timing. He throws a real tight ball and he can put it in a tough place, day after day after day he does it.”

(On Commissioner Roger Goodell’s proposal to get rid of kickoffs)
“First off, I don’t know if it’s a proposal. I think he just, I think somebody asked him, I think he just – I’m not speaking for him, I didn’t see it – but, his focus is on player safety. I’m sure it will be something that will be addressed once the committee gets together in February. But that’s just…there’s been a lot of different things that have come up. Obviously, if you look at what we’ve done with the kickoff when we moved it up from the 30 (-yard line) to the 35 (-yard line) we haven’t had…well, the injury numbers have gone down significantly since the move two years ago. There’s been some talk – I think (Giants President and Chief Executive Officer John) Mr. Mara, may have mentioned over a period of time, maybe there will be some consideration that we’ll remove it from the game completely, but those things will be discussed during the offseason.”

(On if he likes the kickoff)
“It is an exciting part of the game, but it is – from an injury standpoint – the injury rate per play is highest on the kickoff.”

(On why Buffalo’s defense has had success lately)
“They’re healthy up front. Mario’s (Williams) healthy. They’re doing the same things, they’re just doing it better. Linebackers are playing well, and the front four’s a very, very solid front four.”

(On if the Bills keep Mario Williams on the left)
“They’ll move him around at times. He plays primarily on the left.”

Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnis – Post-Practice – December 6, 2012

(On the Bills’ RBs Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller)
“It’s pretty impressive when you watch this offense and you see, first of all, how productive both of those backs are and then how well (Bills Head Coach) Chan (Gailey) uses them in a variety of formations and personnel groups. When you rush for 232 yards in a National Football League game, that’s impressive and of course where they rank. It’s something they’ve been doing all year. It’s a very, very good run game. It’s a varied run game. They’ve got the two backs that can take it all the way. Spiller is really an explosive scat back. Jackson is equally as impressive, so the run game is something that we’ve got our hands completely full with.”

(On liking how the team defended 49ers RB Frank Gore)
“Well, I mean I like the fact that we won the ball game and if you’re going to win that type of ball game…we knew what we had to be able to control, knew what we had to be able to stop. Every week in the National Football League is a challenge and this is a big, big challenge for us. Success the previous week guarantees nothing but a chance to try to do it again, so that’s what we’ve got to do.”

(On if Michael Brockers has been coming on at defensive tackle)
“You know Brockers has been playing well. Early on in the year, a high ankle sprain in this league and in this business is a serious deal, especially for a young defensive player that was just learning techniques. He and Coach ‘Wauf’ (defensive line coach Mike Waufle) had worked about to where they wanted with the progression of his development and then you get a high ankle sprain and you’ve pretty much got to start all over again. Michael Brockers is an excellent, excellent football player and we’re extremely happy that he’s here.”

(On having depth on the defensive line for the first time in a while)
“That’s critical. That’s very important and to be able to play defense effectively in this league and especially to be able to play defense effectively this deep into the season, you need depth. You can’t have 300-plus pound men going 60, 70 snaps a game for 12,14 weeks in a row. It just doesn’t work. What you need is enough depth so that you can rotate throughout the year, and then when you reach this time of year then they’re all ready to go and that helps. You can never have too many good players in this league, but you can never have too many good big men up front.”

(On bringing DE William Hayes to the Rams and the depth he’s provided to the defensive line)
“We knew about William. We drafted William in Tennessee. Coach Fisher and I and of course Coach Waufle, too, he’s been a defensive line coach in this league. He knew who William Hayes was. We knew what we had in William Hayes. When he became a free agent and we brought him in here – he was hurt last year there at Tennessee – but when he first came in, he was a very productive player for us. We’re extremely glad William’s here. He’s been very versatile and plus that whole defensive line room is really coming together very well and when you can complement each other on the defensive line it gives you a chance to play meaningful games in December.”

(On what he sees in the Bills’ receiving core)
“You know what, they’ve got a quarterback that’s extremely athletic. He can get them the ball. (Bills WR) Stevie Johnson is one of the better route runners in this league. He can run the stem. He can stem any route from any split. He’s a very, very accomplished wide receiver. Their tight end is somebody that their quarterback trusts quite a bit. Anytime you’ve got a running game like they have, your play-action passing game is always going to be viable and that’s what they’ve got.”

(On how valuable LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar is, especially in physical games)
“He’s done very well. He’s done extremely well and of course he had a working knowledge of this defense when he came in here and he’s done a very good job incorporating his skill sets into how we’ve blended this defense together. JD’s done a very, very nice job, he really has. He’s been a guy that we’ve been able to depend on. He put together a big, big game last week. He’s a guy that it’s very, very important to. He’s a professional and there’s a huge difference in getting paid to play this game and being a professional. He’s a pro.”

(On blending different pieces to the defense – coaches and players – and how it has been from the start of the season to now despite having an unnamed defensive coordinator)
“Well, it’s been seamless. It really has been. I think of course, first and foremost, because of Jeff Fisher, the way that he has put this staff together, the way he’s run it and then the type of people that we put together as players. It’s been seamless. It’s been an NFL season. There’s been ups and downs but there’s never been one time that the intensity and the concentration and the effort of this defense has ever been questioned. It’s a fun defense to be around. I’ve coached for 27 years in this league and you know certain groups you enjoy being around more than others. I really enjoy being around this group. It’s very important to them and we can just keep it going.”

Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post-Practice – December 6, 2012

(On what RB Steven Jackson has meant to the team’s rookie running backs this season)
“I’m sure they could talk to it much better than even I could, but I see it in the classroom. I see him taking the extra time to explain things. There’s nothing like experience. He’s experienced it all obviously in his career, and it’s fun to watch those young guys kind of soak it all up. He’s great on the sidelines with them when he’s not in. I think he’s just a mentor and I think young players need guys to look up to and guys they can ask questions of. Again, who better to ask than him?”

(On if he’s encouraged QB Sam Bradford to run in some situations)
“I think obviously in this league with the pass rushers that you’re going to face every week, there’s always going to be a time or two in a game where the pass rush is heavy. They’re trying to get to the quarterback. They’re trying to edge the inside guards, they’re running around the back of the pocket and natural running lanes get created up front. It’s just something you’ve got to make the quarterback aware of. He actually had one today in practice that he did. Again, I think it’s kind of the new thing that’s being taught and coached by quarterback coaches and coordinators around the league. You see guys like (Packers QB) Aaron Rodgers do it all the time. I think people probably don’t give Sam enough credit for what a good athlete he is, but it was good. On the one drive, with his two runs and then obviously the penalty that we got, that was a big part of helping us move the ball down the field.”

(On if he wanted to stress the deep pass more this season than Bradford has seen in the past)
“I’ll say this: I’ve been fortunate to be around some really good quarterbacks; I have never been around a guy that throws the deep ball better than Sam. It’s really unbelievable. I know Coach Fisher and I talk about it all the time. He hits one in practice, and we look at each other like, ‘Ok, here we go again.’ Then there’s another one. I’ve not been around a guy that’s got better touch, got better feel for the deep ball. Again, I think a lot of it is his natural ability. We certainly have some guys that can run and some guys have made some great plays for him. Some have been yards after the catch. It’s nothing that we...we always carry our ‘shot’ plays, but it’s more of the execution that the guys are making plays in those situations than maybe just true philosophy of what we’re trying to do.”

(On if teams have changed the way they’re defending WR Chris Givens)
“Yeah, they’re obviously...what’s he had? He had five straight games or something with 50 yard (receptions). We had a run action last week where we tried to get him behind and the safety didn’t bite up at all. But, we can use that to our advantage in the run game because what that means is the safeties can’t support the run quite as fast to his side. We know that, so that’s a positive. They know he’s fast. They’re going to give him his respect. Again, he’s going to have to make his with some of the other ways. Again, any time somebody’s pressed up on him, he’s got a chance to get behind him.”

(On how the potential for rain could impact the passing game)
“I think we’re doing all the things that we can do to prepare for it. We’re throwing wet balls, doing things like that. That’s no different than what anybody would do. You get work during training camp. One of the things with Sam is he’s got really big hands, which helps. We’ll deal with the elements. That’s something that we’ve talked about all week. No matter what the elements are, normally up there this time of year, it’s going to be cold, it’s going to be rainy and misty and we’ll just deal with it. In terms of our plan, we’re not going to change our plan. We’ll go in with the plays that we’ve got and we’ll just have to execute it.”

(On being 0-3 against the AFC East this season)
“I think, obviously, each game’s different. I think that, obviously, having a feel for the group helps. You can talk about personnel and stuff, but at the end of the day, we’ve got to go and make plays, got to call good plays, got to execute. Again, we had our chances against Miami. We didn’t play very well offensively against the Jets. Hopefully, we can end that streak. Certainly, we’re playing a good football team on the road. They’re kind of in the same spot we are – they need this win. So, it’ll be a good challenge for us. Up front, they’re real physical, real strong and I’ve got a lot of respect for (Bills Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Dave) Wannstedt and the job he does.”

(On how it is different with Wannstedt and how they have played well recently)
“Number one, statistically in this league, things can get away from you and it’s hard to get those numbers back. You get far behind early in the year. But they’re playing well right now. I really think so. (DE) Mario Williams is playing really well. I know (DT) Kyle Williams very well from being in that division. You see Dave’s fingerprint on it. They’re penetrating, they’re basic, they don’t do a whole lot. They don’t have to do a whole lot. But they’re going to try to stop the run, they’re going to be physical, they’re going to be penetrating, they’re going to run to the football. Again, it will be a good challenge for us because they’re very well-coached and they play hard.”

RB Steven Jackson – Post-Practice – December 6, 2012

(On if he noticed an extra bounce in the players’ step today)
“Guys are flying around. Coach Fisher’s done a great job of taking care of us, particularly this week. We had a tough game against San Francisco and he’s allowed us to get our legs back under us. We have an excellent game plan and looking forward to Sunday.”

(On the expected cold weather in Buffalo)
“We’re definitely expecting that it may be a little cold up there, but the elements are a part of the game and we’ll be prepared for it. We’ve just got to make sure that we lock in and make sure the details of our assignments, we take care of it now so on Sunday, we’re just reacting and not allowing things that we cannot control to affect us.”

(On the challenges of playing in cold weather games)
“It’s really no challenges. They have to be in the cold as well. We practice outside, it’s not like we practice in the (Edward Jones) Dome. We’ve just got to make sure that we treat it like any other game, that we’re on top of our assignments and we’re doing what we need to do.”

(On facing Bills LB Nick Barnett)
“Looking forward to it. Nick and I are good friends. We had some great, classic battles in college when we were two young pups. He’s had a great career. He’s continued to look good on film. I’ve watched film all week and that front seven, and particularly Nick, they move pretty good. He’s sideline-to-sideline, the Nick Barnett that I know.”

(On Buffalo’s defensive tackles)
“They don’t get the credit that they deserve. Their two d-tackles are one, they have great timing. It seems like they know how to jump a snap count. They’re going to get up field in a hurry and we’ve got to make sure that we sit back and that we’re very aggressive against them and use some of their aggressiveness against them as well. They’re going to play some good football and we cannot allow some outside factors to affect the way we approach this game because Buffalo is a very good team.”

(On what kind of reputation the team is starting to develop)
“I think the reputation of this team is developing and has established so far is that we’re going to be a tough, physical team. We’re going to play 60 minutes of football. Guys are going to give their all to fly around out there on Sunday.”

sorry I'm late: http://www.ramsfans.com