TRANSCRIPT: HC Jeff Fisher & QB Kellen Clemens, 11-6-13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 6, 2013

(On QB Sam Bradford’s knee surgery being postponed)
“We haven’t rescheduled it. It will be in the near future. There was a little bit of swelling from the work that he was doing. Nowadays, the physicians prefer to really strengthen the knee, strengthen the quad area and then, of course, make sure that most of the swelling is down. During some of the rehab, he swelled up a little bit, so we just decided to wait. Nothing to be alarmed about.”

(On if greater range of motion leads to more strength)
“The more range of motion, the more strength. Back in the old days, they’d cast you for half your life. Now, you come out of the procedure and they’re already working the range of motion, so it’s different. That’s why they’re coming back so fast.”

(On QB Andrew Luck)
“He’s got an exceptionally strong arm. Very, very accurate. We like to say, ‘He throws receivers open.’ He knows where to the football and he’s got very good size and vision and anticipation. He’s big, strong and he’s a great athlete so he can extend plays. He’s a very good player.”

(On Indianapolis getting Luck at a bargain rate under the new collective bargaining agreement)
“They’ve done a nice job. There’s a lot of new faces on that roster. I had been familiar with that roster. Two years later, it’s almost a complete turnover. They’ve done a really good job with it.”

(On DT Kendall Langford’s production)
“He’s been productive, but I think he was productive from a standpoint of he had assists and tackles and things like that, but we need to all play better up front against the run, so we’re all to blame. Kendall, obviously, got in the sack column, which was good for him, but we’d like to see them all play better against the run.”

(On how a coach should monitor a locker room)
“We use common sense. You have a philosophy. We almost have a human resource department within the football team. When the players come in, you talk to them about what our philosophy is and how we act, how we treat one another, the respect factors that we have and what we do and what we don’t do. Obviously, it’s our responsibility to be very much aware of what’s going on within the building and that’s how we’ve always been.”

(On not being a proponent of hazing)
“No, the rookies messed around. You have to draw the line. Rooks come out and make fun of coaches or something like that, that’s fine, but we didn’t even do anything this year. Like I said, during camp they’ll carry the veterans’ helmets in, but other than that they all treat each other with a great deal of respect. And what we do, our philosophy with the veterans, when this season’s over, we’re going to let them know that our job is to get better. And how do you do that? You go out and you acquire veteran free agents or you go out and you draft. Our philosophy is to let the vets know that the rookies are here for one reason. That’s a result of us keeping our commitment to getting better. They need to understand how to do things very quickly, and we’ve always had the philosophy here: you treat a rookie like a rookie, he’s going to act like a rookie. So, we treat them like members of our team and that’s kind of how we do things.”

(On if hazing standards were different when he played in the NFL)
“Yeah, I made a mistake. I had to sing my fight song and I really can’t carry a tune, so I juggled apples and I started eating apples while I was juggling, so I had to get up every single night and do it over and over and over again. You’ve got to do something bad and they’ll have you up there again if you do something good, so, yes, it was a little different.”

(On Colts WR T.Y. Hilton stepping up in the absence of WR Reggie Wayne)
“He’s a good player. He’s been contributing to their offense, but now Reggie’s down, he steps up and it’s clear he understands their offense. They’ve got a lot of guys to go to with the football. T.Y. was a very explosive player in college and he’s going to be a good pro beyond just the return ability.”

(On the Colts’ comeback victories)
“Their defense is equipped to go get a stop and get the ball back, and then he’s (QB Andrew Luck) very, very good in the two-minute, no-huddle offense. When it’s time to go score, they’ve been pretty good at putting drives together. I think the number’s about 10, so he’s got 10 come from behind victories so it’s pretty impressive. Twenty-one to three at Houston, that’s hard to do.”

(On if Luck is one of the best fourth quarter quarterbacks they’ll face this season)
“We’ve seen some good ones. We’ve had some quarterbacks play good against us and some good ones, but ask me that after we see him in person.”

(On what the message to the players has been to the players)
“Just come back, have fun and work hard, and let’s go win another game. It’s pretty simple. That’s exactly what they did today. They had a blast and they looked really good today. Short memories.”

Rams QB Kellen Clemens – News Conference – November 6, 2013

(On the Colts’ defensive linemen)
“They’re good. There’s no doubt about that, but I think if you look at the body of work that our offensive line has done over the last few weeks…I’m not losing any sleep over it. I have a lot of confidence in our guys. Certainly, Indianapolis has some good pass rushers. Obviously, (OLB Robert) Mathis leads the way. But, I’ve got a lot of confidence in our guys and we’ll do some things to probably help out a little bit. We’ll be fine.”

(On if the game speed has slowed down now that he’s playing full time)
“I think at this point what happens is reps start accruing. I’ve had two weeks now of actually getting reps with the No. 1 wide receivers, No. 1 tight ends. So, those reps are starting to accrue and pay dividends. We got a little bit better from Week 1 to Week 2. We’ve got to do even better this week.”

(On if WR Stedman Bailey has progressed)
“He has. I said from Day 1 that I thought Stedman Bailey in the third (round) was a steal. He’s a very talented, young kid. He’s got a lot of upside. He’s got a bigger catching radius than people think based on his size and he’s got what you would typically call a high football IQ. He understands coverages. He understands how to get open. So, I’m excited for his opportunity. He’s worked hard. When you talk about the body of work of this season, I’ve probably thrown to him on show team more than I’ve thrown to any of the other guys. So, there’s a comfort level there with Stedman, certainly. But, mostly I’m excited for him and his opportunity because he wasn’t getting a lot of opportunities on game day or in practice for the first few weeks, but he kept working. He stayed in his playbook and it’s nice to see that pay off for him and for him to get this opportunity.”

(On TE Mike McNeill)
“Mike’s a solid player. He’s a solid player. He’s good in the pass game. He’s surprisingly good in the run game even though he is a little bit lighter-bodied than maybe (TE) Lance (Kendricks) is. He’ll step up. Lance Kendricks, those are big shoes to fill, but Mike will step up in a big way for us and we look forward to having him.”

(On seeming more fearless than other quarterbacks)
“I’m just not as smart as those other guys, probably. I don’t know. First downs…every yard is hard to come by in this league. So, if I have an opportunity to go and move forward, I’m going to try to move forward. I think that just kind of maybe goes back to the way that I was raised. I grew up on a ranch. You get beat up. You get some bumps, you get bruises. I was running from mother cows from the time that I was six years old and on. That’s just kind of part of who I am. That’s how I play the game.”

(On Colts QB Andrew Luck)
“He’s a good player. Obviously, he went No. 1 overall (in 2012). Nobody missed that guess. I think the biggest thing that stands out when you look at the body of work that he’s done is his composure in the fourth quarter. A lot of talk when you talk about Andrew Luck is his ability to bring his team from behind. That’s a feather in any quarterback’s cap. I’m sure it’s something that he is certainly proud of. That’s the thing that stands out. The other thing, he’s surprising mobile for a guy his size. That was the thing that kind of surprised me this year and last year. I wasn’t aware of fast he was or how nimble. He’s a good athlete all the way around. He’s a good dual threat.”

(On the Colts’ secondary)
“They’re a good group. I keep waiting for the week when I can stand up here and say, ‘Well this team’s secondary is a weak spot.’ But, that doesn’t seem to be happening. They’re a good group. Obviously, two veteran safeties in (Antoine) Bethea and (LaRon) Landry. Stay out of the way if Landry’s got you in his crosshairs because he’s coming to punish you. Then with, (CBs Vontae) Davis and (Greg Toler) are two very good players, as well. They traded for Davis. I’ve gone against Davis quite a few times. I haven’t gone against him, but I’ve watched tape on him quite a few times when he was with Miami and I was in New York. So, there’s a familiarity there. They’re a good group. They’re going to be another great challenge for us on the outside.”