TRANSCRIPT: Fisher, Schottenheimer, Walton Pressers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[stl]40994849-485d-4f28-a93d-3015564a95d9[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/Head-Coach-Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference/40994849-485d-4f28-a93d-3015564a95d9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 15564a95d9</a>

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – August 15, 2013

(On playing time this week against Green Bay compared to preseason Week 1 against Cleveland)
“We’ll add plays, a number. Some guys are going to play significantly more. As a general rule they’re probably playing anywhere from six to 12, 14 plays more than they did last week. So, we’ll look at different people. As I’ve said in the past, you want to give someone an opportunity to maybe run behind the starting offensive line or run against their starting defense and work, so we’re going to adjust all that stuff tonight and tomorrow.”

(On if the number of plays per player are pre-determined)
“No, not necessarily, it was the number of snaps, it was reps. Last week got skewed particularly because of the turnover. We gave up a turnover and then because we had a good drive going, so then we had to play longer in the game because the defense had some difficulty getting off the field.”

(On if LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s suspension changes the defensive game plan)
“Let me say this about that situation, we’ve known about it for some time and obviously we’ve been dealing with it. First and foremost, we’re very, very disappointed in his choices and his decisions. It’s selfish. It hurts the team, but we also see it as an opportunity to learn from a mistake. We discussed it with the entire squad last night, and I think everybody understands the responsibilities that each and every player has as far as taking care of themselves and what you can do and what you can’t do. So, we’re looking at this as it’s behind us, we’re going to learn from a mistake. Unfortunately, in this business sometimes you have a player that goes down because of injury, and we look at it that way. It’ll make total sense for us to move (LB) Will Witherspoon up – we’re glad he’s here. He’s started a lot of games and then we’ll make a decision when Jo-Lonn comes back as to who’s going to take that position.”

(On what substance caused Dunbar to fail the drug test)
“I’m not going to go into specifics. He failed the performance enhancing drug test. As far as what it was, I’m not going to go into specifics.”

(On if they were aware of Dunbar’s suspension when they signed Witherspoon)
“Yes, but that wasn’t why we signed Will. We signed Will because Will was available. It remains to be seen, whether or not we express an interest and go out and continue to look to build up that unit.”

(On if any of the young receivers have stepped in front of the others on the depth chart)
“They’re all battling. They’ve got plenty of snaps here in the next couple weeks here to sort things out. I said in the beginning, it makes sense, they’re all going to play. They’re all going to play for the most part in a regular season game, depending on how many we can keep active.”

(On if Dunbar’s suspension changes his playing time in the preseason games)
“Yes. He’s going to get plenty of reps, but it’s not likely he’s going to be with the starting unit just because we going to have to get Will ready to go and get familiar. We’ve got, for all intents and purposes, have two new faces at the linebacker position this year.”

(On if the home game experience against Green Bay is important for first year guys)
“At the Dome, I think they got a taste of it a couple weeks ago at the Fan Fest, but, yeah, it’s going to be – we’re talking about how important it is to play well at home, play at a consistent high level at home.”

(On DE Robert Quinn’s improvements in playing against the run)
“He’s improved with the run skills and techniques, but I think he’s also improved as a pass rusher, too. So, he’s improved in both areas. When you get an opportunity to work against somebody like (T) Jake (Long) day-in and day-out even though it’s been a short period of time – that consistent battle day after day ends up being a good situation for both.”

(On Quinn having to practice multiple techniques on an experienced tackle like Long)
“That’s right. You’ve got to be creative, you’ve got to be consistent. Again, it really helps Jake, too. He’s benefiting from it as well.”

[stl]e1aef9a3-0bfc-436d-be1e-d87f81257091[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/OC-Brian-Schottenheimer-Press-Conference/e1aef9a3-0bfc-436d-be1e-d87f81257091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 7f81257091</a>

Rams Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer – Post Practice – August 15, 2013

(On having his father Marty at practice today)
“Actually we’re moving into a new house. I’m actually making him work. He’s not here just for publicity. He’s moving some boxes and stuff like that. So I’m putting him to work, which is kind of fun.”

(On how often he and his father talk)
“We talk quite a bit, a couple times a week for sure. He’s here for all the home games. He’s always a good voice of reason after a tough loss and obviously somebody very supportive. I bounce a lot of things off him. I have a lot of respect for him. I loved coaching with him. It’s fun to let him come out here and see some of the guys that he competed against like (Assistant Head Coach) Dave McGinnis, (Offensive Line Coach) Paul Boudreau and those guys. He has a lot of fun telling stories.”

(On if his father is ever critical of his coaching decisions)
“Oh yeah. He definitely is. He calls it like he sees it, and I certainly take everything he says and listen to it and I understand he certainly knows what he’s talking about.”

(On what he wants to see from the offense in the second preseason game)
“Build on last week. Obviously we’ve got to take care of the football better. Obviously one interception late, Hail Mary, it’s going to happen. You get a tipped ball interception. We get the fumble early in the game, kind of slowed down the first group. Obviously that’s a big emphasis for us. I think some of the pre-snap penalties, playing at home we can improve that. We’re just kind of going about our installation. We’re going with what we’ve done. We’re actually going back for probably a fourth or fifth time now. So I think we see that our guys are playing fast. Now we’re able to coach the fundamentals that go along with the plays. I think that’s where you take it to the next level.”

(On if it’s hard to hold back some of the wrinkles and not show too much in the preseason)
“Not really. Again, coming out here against these guys every day in practice, we go back and forth. We throw everything at them, so we’re getting plenty of work on it. What we want to see is our guys just actually play. We’re not trying to scheme anybody in the preseason. We’re just playing. They’re base plays, simple plays, but you see a guy pick up a blitz, you learn from that. You see a guy miss a blitz, you learn from it. Vanilla is a good thing. We’ll be teeing them up for real here before too long.”

(On what he hopes to see from RB Isaiah Pead this week)
“I think Isaiah’s done some amazing things in training camp. Obviously he was disappointed last week in the fumble. We talked about that with him. We said, ‘Hey, don’t let one play take away all the great things you’ve done.’ He’s made play after play, so again, try to get him some more reps. Obviously he’s still a young player. You’ve got to teach him. But build on the great things he’s doing out here on the practice field and carry that over to the field.”

(On T Jake Long)
“He’s doing great. Obviously he’s a pro. He’s working like crazy. He’s got the system down. It’s fun to watch he and (DE) Robert Quinn compete every day. That’s one, during the one-on-one’s we always look at that. He’s doing very, very well. We’re thrilled to have him.”

(On if RB Daryl Richardson has gained more ground in the competition to be the starter)
“I think Daryl played really, really well last week. I think Isaiah’s definitely got to play some catch up. But again, we’re not just looking at one game. He’s got a whole preseason to look at. We were very pleased with the way Daryl played last week. They’ve both done really well in practice. Would I say Daryl has the lead? Sure, but there’s a ways to go and we expect good things from Isaiah this weekend.”

(On how QB Sam Bradford graded out against Cleveland)
“Played very well. I think he missed one or two throws. Again, I thought he made a great read on the deep play to (Chris) Givens. (WR) Austin Pettis ran a great route. He played well. Again, just watching him progress with the understanding of the system has been really, really fun. We’re light years ahead of where we were last year. We’re able to make adjustments and get things solved very quickly. That’s been because of his work ethic and really just diving in to try to master the playbook.”

(On if he’d like to see Bradford connect with TE Jared Cook in a preseason game)
“They’re definitely on the same page. It’s been fun to watch. We’re not going into a game trying to get a ball to anybody. We’re running plays and if a guy comes out with 10 catches and somebody else comes out with zero, it doesn’t mean a thing. We’re just trying to execute base plays. Again, they’re not playing that many plays anyways.”

[stl]fb961d50-b15e-4b68-a14d-36a4bebfb125[/stl]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center/videos/DC-Tim-Walton-Press-Conference/fb961d50-b15e-4b68-a14d-36a4bebfb125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... a4bebfb125</a>

Rams Defensive Coordinator Tim Walton – Post-Practice – August 15, 2013

(On his thoughts about last week’s game and what he wants to improve on in this week’s exhibition)
“We’ve just got to play better fundamentally. We’ve got to make sure we tackle better and just play technique. We pretty much try to let the guys play pretty simple, not doing a whole lot. We just want to see guys fly around and communicate and be good in the gap responsibility in the run game.”

(On if he views preseason games as opportunities to see young guys make mistakes and improve)
“Yeah, we want to see them play. You don’t want guys thinking a whole lot. You just want to see them go out and do the little things, getting off blocks, communicating on shifts, on motions, seeing splits. Things like that, that come with some of those guys’ first NFL games or experience. So, you want to see them get used to doing those things on the game situations.”

(On how DE Robert Quinn has progressed in playing against the run)
“He’s been very good against the run. He’s been able to hold off blocks and close down the edge and tighten down the running lanes outside. Obviously, you know he can rush the passer very well, but he plays hard and he works on his craft every day. With his athletic ability, his speed, and the way he practices, he’s just been getting better each day.”

(On how going up against receivers like Chris Givens in practice every day helps the secondary get better)
“Tremendously. You have a quarterback who can throw very well and guys like Givens and Tavon (Austin) that can run, get out of their breaks really well, and understand the game some, and can push the ball down the field. That makes us work on things and a lot of techniques. And then like I said with the quarterback being able to make all the throws, you have to be very disciplined in your coverage, and that’s only going to help us once we get into the regular season.”

(On if LB Alec Ogletree is progressing towards the first week of the regular season how he hoped)
“Yes, he’s progressing towards Week 1. He’s the same thing. You just want to see those guys continue to grow and continue to get better. At practice we throw a lot at them. At a game we try to keep it simple because we want to see them improve on all those little things – the techniques, the fundamentals, your keys, your run/pass, don’t have any run/pass conflicts, all those things, your eyes. We want to see you do those things because that’s what’s going to be the bread and butter once we get started.”

(On if it’s hard to hold back in game planning for a preseason game)
“Yeah it is because you’re a competitor. You like to go get it, but I have an understanding of what the big picture is. You have to see those guys grow and you want to take care of the little things because you’ll have plenty of time to get to it once the season starts.”

(On if he and Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer throw ‘exotic’ game plans at each other in practice)
“Yeah, we get to work at practice with a lot of stuff we do, but that’s why try to always work on our stuff out here. Like you said, our offense is doing a great job. They’re giving us a lot of different looks and they make you think a little bit. We’re going against some good talent. We really have some guys over there. You add (TE Jared) ‘Cookie’ (Cook) into the mix over there and they have a lot of weapons they can go to.”

(On if the defensive line will play more against Green Bay)
“They’ll probably play a little more against Green Bay and get them more playing time and let them, the same way, get back acclimated to playing the game a little bit.”

(On his reaction to LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar’s suspension)
“Coach will be coming up right after me. He will address all of the issues with Jo-Lonn. He’ll be talking after and, like I said, he’s the guy that will handle all of that info.”