TRANSCRIPT: DL Aaron Donald, Conference Call, 5-8-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DL Aaron Donald – Conference Call – May 8, 2014

(On how long he has known that the Rams were interested in him)
“I got the opportunity to come out there and visit and talk to them. You never know with the draft though. I talked to them, they liked the way I played the game. I’m just excited to be a Ram.”

(On how he feels about lining up with DE Chris Long and the Rams defensive line)
“I’m real excited. Best defensive line in the NFL, and I have an opportunity to be a part of that now. I’m real pumped up about that. I’m ready to get out there and play.”

(On if the best defensive line just got better)
“I’m going to let my game speak for me. It’s already a great defensive line, all I can do is go out there and play my part and we’re going to see.”

(On if he had ever been to St. Louis before his pre-draft visit)
“That was the first time when I went out there to visit.”

(On how he sees his game fitting into the NFC West division)
“I’m a rounded football player. I like to get out there and keep grinding, continuing learning to play ball, earn the respect from the veterans and coaches, and get out there and compete and do what I can do. But I’m a rounded football player and I’m ready.”

(On if he has a chip on his shoulder because of his size)
“Not at all. I never let that get to me because letting it get to me isn’t going to make me any taller and it isn’t going to make me any better. All I can do is worry about what I have to do and that’s football, going out to compete and make a play. Never let it get to you. I just love to play the game of football and compete.”

(On if he is in New York for the draft)
“I’m not in New York. I’m at home with my family in Pittsburgh.”

(On if he was invited to New York)
“I got invited. It’s just not who I am. I’m not the red carpet guy and the cameras. I just wanted to be around my family and who it all started with. They’ve all been here since day one, and just be with my family, back where it all started and that’s in Pittsburgh.”

(On how many people he had with him)
“It was about six people. We had a private room at The Savoy for dinner. Everybody is upstairs celebrating right now.”

(On if he was surprised to be available at the 13th pick)
“Not at all. I knew God would let everything work out for the best. I’m just thankful for the opportunity that they gave me. I thanked them a lot and I’m just ready to get out there and prove to them that the choice they made is a great choice. I’m just ready.”

(On if he thought Tampa Bay Buccaneers would take him with the seventh pick)
“You never know. I wasn’t going to…any team was going to take me. All I can do is just sit there and wait for my name to be called.”

(On his pre-draft contact with the Rams)
“I talked to them at the Senior Bowl and at the combine, I talked to them. I talked to (Defensive Line) Coach (Mike) Waufle and (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher and they showed interest, but like I said, you never know.”

(On if he thinks his Senior Bowl performance helped boost his draft stock)
“It’s always good to show that you can play the game you love and to compete against some of the best in college football and have success. Anything and everything can help you in the draft process and I think that helped me a lot.”

(On how he accumulated 28 tackles for loss last season)
“It’s hard work, learning the game, watching non-stop film and going out there to compete and playing fast. It started in the film room learning my opponent, breaking it down.”

(On if he was surprised that the Rams took him)
“Not at all. Like I said, I talked to the Rams. The draft is so crazy, so all I could do is sit there and wait. I wasn’t surprised, but believe me I was thankful, happy, excited. I’m just ready to get out there and work. I’m ready to get back to football.”

(On what he does best on the football field)
“I’m a rounded football player. I can rush the passer, I can stop the run. My job is to go in there, earn respect and show that I can play and try to play my roll. Whatever that is, I’m just ready.”

(On where he keeps all his football awards)
“I had to make room, so I made room in my house. I got a couple tables I put them on, so I had to make a little bit of space for them.”

(On how he’s celebrating)
“Be with the family and just be thankful for the opportunity for that Coach Fisher gave me. It’s just amazing that the dream came true how it did. I’m happy.”

(On his excitement)
“I’m ready to go now. I’m just ready to get back to football, be around those guys, learn from the veterans and coaches, and get to work.”

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Sounds like a kid who wants to earn his way rather than feel entitled.

Also looks to be the type to stay out of trouble. Good locker room guy.

Makes me feel even better about this pick, if that's possible.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We drafted two high character guys. Well done. Now we can have some fun in the later rounds. ;)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
28.5 tackles for loss is just ridiculous. What a steal! I can see him being better than Clowney.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I like this Donald pick better than the Robinson pick, he was the best player available, and he is going to give us even more sacks, thats just sick.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I like his attitude too... it's looking like more and more of a steal that we got him at #13. That would make some people bitter.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I couldn't be happier with the interviews of both the guys we took, they sound like they are genuinely happy to be a part of what we are building. Both good character guys....

BadCompany

Rookie
... and Willie Hayes too. Twelve sacks over the last two years is nothing to sneeze at.

Gonna be interesting to see how Williams gets all these guys out on the field.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
4 first roundes on the D line, 3 have proven to be worthy and Donald should fit in and show he is the fourth worthy lineman. You keep Langford for depth and maybe even to start until Donald takes his job, I expect Brockers to have a big year.
The new fearsome foursome has just arrived. Take notice