TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Pagano and Luck

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Chuck Pagano – Conference Call – November 6, 2013

(On the key to their second half success and comeback wins)
“I think, obviously, the resiliency of our team. We talk about playing 60 minutes, probably like everybody else talks, and our guys have bought into that notion. They play hard and stick to the process until the last ticks off the clock, and so I think that’s probably the biggest factor in why we’re been able to have 10 of these, since (QB) Andrew’s (Luck) been here and we’ve been together, we have 10 of these now I think, fourth quarter comebacks.”

(On if Luck ceases to amaze him)
“Not really. I think just sitting back and putting myself in a fan’s seat and whoever, nothing he does anymore really surprises any of us. He’s just a really good football player and probably a better person, and we feel very lucky to have him – no pun intended.”

(On how much luck is involved with timing of being able to draft Luck No. 1 overall a year ago)
“I think it’s everything. You’ve got to have a quarterback at any level in order to give yourself a chance or to have a chance to compete and win, again at any level. The stars obviously just lined up right. I don’t know if it’s got anything to do with the horseshoe. I can’t put a finger on it, but you can go all the way back to (19)83 and who was supposed to be the quarterback here. It could have been (John) Elway and then it could have went to Peyton (Manning) and then (Andrew) Luck, right? Or it did go to Peyton. I know it didn’t work out with John, but we’ve been pretty fortunate. This organization’s been pretty fortunate.”

(On Luck’s contract being a bargain and allows the organization to spend money on players around him)
“Well, obviously, it affords you, like you said, an opportunity to – you’re not spending one-sixth or whatever of your cap on one position and one player. So, you’re able to go out and do the things like we did last year in free agency and get some key pieces to help us moving forward.”

(On WR T.Y. Hilton stepping up in the absence of WR Reggie Wayne)
“Obviously, you can’t ever replace a guy like Reggie, and again, T.Y. did a fantastic job. We know what T.Y.’s capable of doing. He did it for us the whole second half of last year and he’s a big play guy. It’s by committee and we’ve got a bunch of young guys that have to step up.”

(On the running game and addition of RB Trent Richardson)
“It’s been good and it’s getting better with every day of practice and every meeting and ball game and things like that, so, yeah, we’re waiting. Unfortunately, the games sometimes get lopsided and you have to get away from the run like last week and throw the ball a little bit more just to give yourself a chance to get back in the ball game. Trent’s doing a great job and progressing along nicely and so we’ll just keep working and it and see if we can generate a few more yards with him.”

(On the Rams team he’s facing this Sunday)
“Really good football team coming in here. A defense that’s got a bunch of really good football players on it. They fly around, they’re well-coached, they smother you, they get in your face in the back end. You’ve got cover corners that are as good as anybody in the league and they can generate a pass rush that ranks No. 1 right now in the National Football League. And the special teams, you’ve got a dynamic returner in (WR) Tavon Austin that’s one of the best and going to be, arguably, maybe one of the best ever to play that position. He’s a game wrecker. He’s a game breaker. I know the numbers are a little bit skewed because of penalties and things like that, but he’s one of the most dynamic guys. When we watched him coming out, it’s obvious why the Rams took him where they took him. The guy literally can wreck a game for you, not only on offense as a receiver, and no matter how he gets the ball and gets it in his hands, he’s a threat to score from anywhere. And then offensively, you’ve got a young back that’s emerging as a top flight No. 1 runner in this league. Back-to-back 100-plus yard games, really hard to get down and a couple other guys that can play. Wide receivers, a tight end that’s a game wrecker and so you throw out everything. In the National Football League it’s hard to win football games. I don’t care where you’re playing, it’s hard to win and so we’ll focus on us and focus on getting better at the things that we need to get better. We know we’ve got a huge, huge challenge Sunday at one o’clock and so we’re going to do the best that we can to prepare for this team coming in here.”

(On the Colts defense)
“They’re opportunistic, they’re playing better. The guys, again, that we brought in in free agency have really helped. (LB) Erik Walden’s playing at a high level and (DE) Ricky Jean (Francois) and (DT) Aubrayo (Franklin) in the front and the couple guys in the secondary, (S) Laron (Landry) and (CBs) Greg Toler and Vontae (Davis) and the rest of the guys. They’re doing a nice job and we’ve got, obviously, some things to fix. We’ve got them fixed in a hurry, but we’re playing well down the stretch, playing well in the fourth quarter, getting some takeaways – some things that we had to address in the offseason when we looked at ourselves and I think it’s just second year in the defense. Any time you change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and asking guys to make that transition, it’s hard, so guys are more comfortable and playing together and playing as a unit.”

(On what it’s been like working with General Manager Ryan Grigson)
“It’s been great. He’s got a great, great eye, fabulous eye for talent. He knows this game inside and out and he’s a tireless worker. There’s no stone that he does not turn to give us every opportunity to be successful on the football field. I don’t know if he ever sleeps. Great person, got a great working relationship with him and he’s a selfless guy and he’s a team guy all the way.”

(On having a guy like Luck quarterback his team)
“You sleep well at night, I’ll tell you that. It’s a great feeling and I know this, you’re never out of it. I don’t care what the circumstances are or what the score is, when you’ve got a guy like that under center, you’re never out of any ball game.”

(On why he thinks he’s had so much success against the NFC West this year)
“The schedule comes out and you’re going to play whoever’s on that schedule, and I think our guys have been able to have success to this point at the halfway point because they really just stay focused on the process. We really just take it one day at a time, one week at a time, one game at a time. Regardless of who we’re playing, really these guys’ focus is on…you’ve got to prepare for your opponent, obviously. But, they’ve done a great job of staying the course, sticking with the process, taking it one week at a time and they do a great job preparing Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and give themselves a chance to play well on Sunday.”

Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck – Conference Call – November 6, 2013

(On what he sees in the St. Louis Rams)
“A tough bunch. A hungry bunch. From our prospective as an offense, defensively I think, they’re the sack leaders in the NFL. They’ve got two outstanding, premier defensive ends, a bunch of tough, fast, athletic, physical guys all around the defense. So, we know it’s going to be a knuckles-out, dragged-down, heavyweight fight. We’re preparing as such.”

(On the adjustment of not having WR Reggie Wayne and how WR T.Y. Hilton as stepped up)
“It’s definitely not ideal. You wish Reggie was here, but we understand that it’s part of football. It’s the part of football that stinks – the injuries and guys leave – but ‘next man up’ is a common theme. Guys have really stepped up. Obviously, T.Y. had a great game. I thought ‘DHB’ (WR Darrius Heyward-Bey) played incredibly well, (WRs) Griff Whalen, LaVon Brazill, and David Reed, as well, and the tight ends – everybody. It’s a collective effort to fill in that void and hopefully we won’t miss a beat.”

(On how he feels things have gone up to this point in his NFL career)
“By no means has it been perfect, but I think, on the right track. Definitely on the right track, but a lot to still improve.”

(On the pressures that go with being selected No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft)
“I think most of the pressure probably comes from outside of your building. I know I felt very comfortable after the first couple days. In the locker room, guys accepted me for who I was in a sense and made it known to me. The veteran leaders sort of spelled it out for me, ‘Hey don’t worry about where you were picked, who you’re replacing, who’s going to replace you. You just go out there and do the best you can.’ So, that made it a lot easier for me, that transition in a sense.”

(On what the toughest part is of the transition to the NFL)
“Toughest part of the transition...a little bit surprised at how long the season was going into last year. When you’re in Week 14, 15, you realize, ‘Man, I’ve never played a season more than 13 games when you’re in college.’ You’ve got your four preseason games, the regular season, then, if you’re lucky enough to make it to the playoffs, however many there. It can add up to a lot of games. I think making sure you take care of your body and stay fresh is so important.”

(On what went through his mind when he was drafted No. 1 overall to replace QB Peyton Manning)
“I never really viewed it as having to replace an icon, a legend, arguably one of the best ever, if not, the best ever quarterback to play the position. I just viewed it as a great opportunity to play football for a living. I don’t think I worry too much about having to fill in Peyton’s shoes, in a sense. I realize that’s probably an impossible task and you’d go crazy trying to do it. And again, the locker room was very accepting and made me feel very comfortable to do the best that I could and they didn’t put any, ‘You have to do this, this, and this because the guy here before you did this, this, and this’ in a sense.”

(On how he explains his fourth quarter comebacks)
“I don’t know. I think it’s all an incredible team effort in every sense. You look at them, I think every time the defense makes a huge stop or forces a turnover, we manage to maybe get some points on the board or special teams comes up with a huge play. I know (Head) Coach (Chuck) Pagano, his DNA is to play 60 minutes hard and that’s the way he coaches. So, we go out there and try to play a full, tough four quarters of football and realize the game truly is not over until that final whistle.”

(On how much fun he’s having playing in the NFL)
“It’s a blast. You couldn’t ask for a better job. To go out and play a kid’s game is very fun and I feel fortunate to be in ‘Indy’ (Indianapolis). It’s a great city, a lot of great people, great locker room. So, I’m very fortunate.”

(On what he remembers about playing the Rams in the first preseason game last year)
“I remember it being a very tough team. I remember the Rams’ defense being very salty and hard-nosed. A couple plays were rude awakenings to the NFL. I think we’ve managed to have a fair bit of success, which was nice, but I remember them being very tough and hard to play against.”

(On what trading for RB Trent Richardson tells him about the Colts’ front office)
“They’re committed to winning 100 percent. There’s no doubt about that. They do a great job. In the locker room, we have full faith in them. I hope they have full faith in us. I think it’s a good environment, a good building environment to work in.”

(On how the fourth quarter comeback last week against Houston ranks among his other comebacks)
“I don’t know. I honestly haven’t thought of it as such. Was happy we won the game that night afterwards, obviously. Maybe after the season I can look back on them, but I think pretty quickly your attention focuses away from that game and onto the next one, onto St. Louis, as opposed to reminiscing in a sense.”

(On if he has been in contact with former Dolphins T Jonathan Martin)
“I’ll say I have. I love John like a brother. We had a lot of fun, a lot of good times together at Stanford. Obviously, an incredibly unfortunate situation, but out of respect for him and what’s going on. I’d rather not talk about it.”

(On how upset he is that the Stanford-Oregon game is on Thursday night)
“Yeah, and at 9 o’ clock at night. Not going to be able to stay up and watch it, but oh well. I hope Stanford gets a big one. I hope they get a big one tomorrow.”