TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Jason Garrett & Tony Romo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dallas Head Coach Jason Garrett – Conference Call – September 18, 2013

(On if he feels that he let a win slip away from them last week in Kansas City)
“Obviously, you’re trying to win ball games every week and it was a disappointing loss for our football team. A lot goes into each game on Sunday and we did some things pretty well in that ball game, but clearly didn’t do enough to win the game. You have to earn these wins in the NFL and we didn’t do that in Kansas City, so you try to learn from that game and you move forward. We’re on to our preparation for St. Louis.”

(On the competition in the NFC East)
“It’s obviously very early for everybody around the league, and we’re just focused on trying to play our best football. It’s a very competitive division, always has been, always will be and it’s a long season. Our attention is on the St. Louis game and really trying to become the best team that we can be. We’re not really focused on anything beyond that.”

(On if the Rams create any special concerns for him)
“Well, it starts with the quarterback. I think Sam Bradford is an outstanding player, and he’s just got a very good feel for the position, has had a lot of success in the early part of his career. He’s got a lot of weapons around him. They’re a faster offense than they’ve been – both of the receiver positions, tight end position and they present a lot of different challenges that way. He seems to have a real good feel for recognizing what defenses are trying to do and getting the ball to the right guy. These guys can make plays, not only down the field but with the run after the catch type plays as well, so a lot of different challenges there. Defensively, it starts with that front. They’ve got some excellent defensive linemen who pressure the quarterback, and they’re very active and they’ve got a lot of them. They’re a fast defense and obviously, we have to do our best to control the line of scrimmage and hope they make the plays in the back end. We have to become a more balanced team, so hopefully we’ll be running the football a little bit better than we have the first couple weeks.”

(On the importance of being able to run the ball)
“Yeah, you do and you don’t want to necessarily be the guy to say, ‘We had 60 plays in the game, we ran it 30 times, we threw it 30 times.’ That’s not really what we’re talking about as much as just being able to run it and being able to throw when you need to do that, and really just challenging the defense by being able to attack them a lot of different ways. It starts with the run and pass and we have to do a better job of that. It’s not easy to run the football in the NFL. If you look around, a lot of teams are having this same kind of discussion, but we have to find ways to do it better and hopefully becoming a more balanced offense will help our team.”

(On if the Rams no-huddle offense last week changes the way they prepare defensively)
“I think so. Many teams around the league are using the no-huddle maybe a little bit more than they have in the past beyond just kind of the two-minute type situations, and that’s been a little bit en vogue here for the last few years. Different teams will challenge you in different ways by doing it different ways. Some teams go real fast, some teams go at a more moderate pace. Just the communication that you have to have on defense in regards to what personnel’s in the game and what scheme you want to get into. I just think it’s critical when you’re doing all that stuff on the line of scrimmage, so we focus on that. The Rams certainly present that challenge.”

(On Bradford having new weapons)
“He sure does. And they went out and got some guys. Like I said earlier, there’s a lot of speed on that offense. You’ve got to make sure that you prevent them from making big plays down the field but also after they catch the ball underneath to rally to the catch and tackle because they can make plays after the catch – they’re that kind of athletes.”

(On if being a .500 team in Dallas is unacceptable)
“No it’s not, it’s not acceptable anywhere. Really what we’re trying to do is take the next step as a team. We’ve done some good things, gotten ourselves – in each of the last two years – into the last game of the season where we had a chance to win the division and didn’t get the job done. We have to learn from those experiences and build. Every week is a challenge in the NFL and this week’s challenge is St. Louis. You have to put what’s happened in the past behind you and practice well and get yourself ready to play your best football.”

(On playing at home this week)
“Well, we love playing at home. Like everybody though, you’re playing eight of them at home and eight of them on the road. You’ve got to make sure, regardless of where you’re playing – we say this all the time, home, road, parking lot or on the moon, you’re ready to play your best football. It’ll be nice to be back in our stadium, but you have to play your best regardless of your opponent in regards to where you’re playing.”

(On defending the versatility of the Rams receiving corps)
“They just attack you in a lot of different ways. So, first and foremost, our cover guys – our corners, our safeties, and our backers just have to do a good job with their individual assignments when they’re either playing zone or man-to-man trying to keep these guys under wraps. Then you make decisions about who you want to give extra attention to whether you’re double-teaming them or whatever you’re trying to get accomplished. So, when you have a number of different guys that you have to contend with, it makes it a lot more challenging.”

(On their plan to try to sack Bradford and slow him down)
“He just does such a good job seeing what the defense is doing. If there is a guy who’s pressuring him one way or another whether it’s through a pressure or just defeating a guy up front, he just has a real good feel for that happening, getting the ball out of his hand. Typically, they give him some pretty good quick options where he can get the ball out but he just has a good sense. We’ve just got to keep trying to pressure him and affect him a lot of different ways.”

Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo – Conference Call – September 18, 2013

(On the feeling in the locker room after last week’s loss)
“We obviously didn’t enjoy the outcome of the football game. It was a tough environment and a tough team. We feel like we could have won that football game, so it’s disappointing, but you’ve got to let it go after a day or two and get back and get ready for the next game. We’ve got a good challenge ahead of us against the Rams. Watching them, they’re disruptive up front. Their (defensive) line is very good and we’re going to have to account for them. We see more corner blitzes in two weeks than you might see in a season. They’ve got a lot of stuff you’ve got to be ready for.”

(On the match-up between the Rams’ defensive line and the Cowboys’ offensive line dictating the game)
“In a lot of ways we’ve got to be able to neutralize that and do some things to make sure that we don’t let them get going. It’ll be a tough job for those guys up front, but they’re going to work hard.”

(On it being key which team can get their running game going)
“I think, ultimately you’re trying to win the football game and I think every team wants to run the ball well and do it with good production. That’s our goal every week that we line up and play. Then, you’ve got to play it. We’ll see. We’ll have a plan put together and we’ll go out and try to execute it.”

(On if the NFL is a passing league)
“I don’t know. I think more than anything it comes down to what your team is good at and what your team needs to do to win. Some teams are better equipped to do certain things better…Each team is different. I think if you ask half the teams, they’d tell you they’re probably built for something else than another team. It just varies.”

(On what they see from the Rams’ defense)
“A little bit about what I was talking about – just their ability to rush the quarterback and really just provide you with three to five guys that can really, in one-on-one blocking, give you some trouble. So, you have to be aware of that and have a plan. Then, they’re going to send some pressure, when they do pressure, from some different exotic locations. You’ve got to be ready for their corner blitzes, the short side of the field, a lot of that stuff, and we’ll have a plan for that.”

(On how he feels about their season so far)
“It just comes down to winning and losing. We lost one last week, so obviously that doesn’t feel good for those 24 hours. Then, you’ve got to get back to going and get back to work and put your head down and come out with a good plan and do things to get ready for the next game, especially when you’ve got a good opponent like these guys.”

(On if being .500 is acceptable in Dallas)
“I think every team is trying to put themselves in a position to be better and win every game you play. It’s a tough league. It’s tough to win games. It’s tough everywhere and we understand that. But like I said, you’ve got to just keep getting better and you never know when you’re going to run off a bunch of games in a row.”

(On if he expects WR Dez Bryant to play on Sunday)
“Yeah, I expect him to play. Hopefully, he continues to get better. You never know how that’s going to go. We’ll see.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Jason Garrett & Tony R

INJURY REPORT

A98fBq6.png