TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin and QB Eli Manning (12-17-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin and QB Eli Manning (12-17-14)

Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin–Conference Call – December 17, 2014

(On their victory last week)
“Well, it was a good physical football game. It was really a product of two different halves. The first half, literally, was all Redskins. The score 10-7 at the half, but they had 265 yards total offense. We had about 98. They had time of possession and so on and so forth. We did have a couple of very nice special teams plays, but for the most part the first half was the Redskins. The second half we came out and did a couple of things and the defense gave up only about 107 yards in the second half. We supported it with some points. We held the ball a little bit and got some total offense, not as much as they had. But, it was a good tough football game and a few plays here or there on either side and that was the difference.”

(On if he can point to anything in particular that has helped the Giants win back-to-back games)
“Well, we’ve been in a lot of close games and not won a bunch of them, particularly here of late. We’ve been able to put a couple of weeks together. We turned the ball over in Jacksonville, handed them the ball and let them run in the end zone with it and they scored twice. From that point on we’ve been pretty good about taking care of the ball. Our defense has played better, we haven’t given up many points. Going all the way back to that game I just mentioned, the defense really wasn’t responsible for 14 of those points. We’ve done a better job with that, keeping them out of the end zone. We’ve pressured the quarterback better. We’ve stayed away from the real turnover problems.”

(On the amount of the sacks the Giants have recorded in the last three weeks)
“Well, basically it’s been a combination of people getting involved and putting pressure on the quarterback.(Giants DE) Jason Pierre-Paul, number one, has done a nice job for the last month or so and really has gotten to the quarterback many times. A lot of his plays are hustle plays, too. Then (Giants DT) Johnathan Hankins contributed last weekend. We had various players up front, one or two get close to a couple of things, a couple of sacks and be in position to help out with that regard. (Giants LB) Devon Kennard has contributed in that way. We’ve had a number of people get involved.”

(On if the Giants defensive pressure can disrupt the Rams’ offense)
“I just hope we can continue to put pressure on the quarterback. That’s what the Rams do and that’s we’re going to have to do.”

(On if the thought of him not returning as the Giants head coach next season has affected his day-to-day job)
“No, I don’t think about it at all. I focus on my team and trying to be the very best that we can be and making sure that we all combine to make a great effort. That’s where my thoughts go.”

(On rookie Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr.)
“He’s a good player. He’s smart. He retains information well. He’s caught the ball very well. He’s been moved around in a lot of places and he handled that very well. He does love to play and compete. He’s a very good player and a good contributor. We’re looking forward to his continued improvement.”

(On if they have changed the offense to get Beckham Jr. the ball more)
“Well that goes down pretty much on a weekly basis. Your attempts to adjust to and utilize those that can be most effective.”

(On what Giants Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo has brought to their offense)
“Well the basic thing that I was interested in was bringing someone here who I felt- some of our veteran players that have been here over the entire of span as long as I’ve been here- I wanted to inspire them. I wanted to create again circumstances and situations where they didn’t know what was coming next. I wanted them to focus and be energized. I thought Ben was the best candidate to bring forth that objective and I believe it has helped.”

(On his with relationship with Giants QB Eli Manning)
“Well, Eli’s a guy that works his tail off. He always has. He loves to play. He loves to compete and this is very, very important to him. He’s all that you would like to have in any young man in terms of his work ethic and his focus and his desire to be the best that he can be. Over the course of the time that he’s been our quarterback here, of course we’ve been to the top of the mountain a couple of times. Not real happy with where we’ve been the last couple of years and he joins me in that belief, the idea that it’s not any fun unless you’re really involved and you’re right there at the end with a chance to make something happen. We’re all working towards that end.”

(On Manning’s adjustment to the new offense)
“Very, very well.”

(On what challenges the Rams’ defense presents)
“Well, I know they’re aggressive. (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams’ aggressive by nature. This is the way they’ve always coached and it’s obvious on tape that hasn’t changed. They show a lot of diversity of looks and different kinds of pressures. They play well together. They’re physical. They’ve collected some very good football players.”

(On what challenges the Rams’ offense presents)
“Offensively, they’ve got a number of skill players, guys that can put the ball in the end zone at any time. They’ve started to really assemble a very good offensive line, as well. Anytime that you’ve got a (OL) Greg Robinson. You have from a skill standpoint (WR) Kenny Britt, (WR) Tavon Austin’s done a lot of things for the offense and for special teams. I like the young running back (Tre) Mason. I think, even when (RB Benny) Cunningham comes in on third down he gives a little something else there. (TE) Jared Cook leading the team in receptions as a tight end, vertical threat as well. They’ve done a nice job and you’ve got to take your hat off to (QB) Shaun Hill, a veteran who’s been around for a long time that’s really taken this offense and engineered it and done a good job of that.”

(On the difficulty to motivate a team when you’re ‘just playing out the season’)
“Well that’s not what we’re doing. We’re trying as hard as we can to be the best that we can. We know that this is pretty much about pride, but it’s also an opportunity because we have many young people who have a great opportunity to contribute now, and seems more and more each week. We’ve had a lot of injuries here. We’ve had a lot of people come up in the ranks even from practice squad that have had a chance to play. That’s what this thing is all about. It’s very important to finish as strong as you possibly can because no doubt that way you’re looking toward the future.”

Giants QB Eli Manning – Conference Call – December 17, 2014

(On this season and not having being where they want to be)
“Yeah, like you said, don’t have the record that we want. I think we’ve been playing better football. We’ve been in some tight games. Really these last six or so games that we’ve played, we’ve had opportunities to win games. We just fell short in the fourth quarter and some very, very good opportunities to win. We’re still figuring out how to come together as a team to make those clutch plays in the crucial times of the game to make sure that we get these wins.”

(On the adjustment to working with Offensive Coordinator Ben McAdoo)
“It’s been good. It’s been a lot of work. Started in the spring and just trying to get a great feel for this offense. What he likes versus certain coverages how to get high completion percentage and eliminate the turnovers, eliminate holding the ball too long and getting completions and moving the ball. It’s been a challenge, but one that’s been exciting. It’s been fun to work with him these last months and feel like I’m getting better each and every week with the offense.”

(On how they’ve persevered through injuries)
“Obviously, it can make it difficult, especially when you lose some key guys. The offense has been somewhat healthy. Obviously, losing (WR) Victor Cruz for the year early on was a tough one. Having (RB) Rashad Jennings kind of been out for a bunch of weeks, not himself. Those are key guys on the offense. I think young guys have stepped up. Obviously, (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) has stepped up in a big way and (RB) Andre Williams has stepped up. We’ve had some young guys fill in some roles and play at a high level.”

(On Beckham’s skill set)
“Odell, he’s been impressive. He’s worked extremely hard considering how much time he missed, missing all of spring, missing all of training camp the first four weeks of the season. Since he’s been healthy we kind of slowly threw things at him and made sure we’re not overloading where he could do just a few things well. He’s picked things up quickly and now trying to move him around and get him different spots. He’s got good grasp of the offense and grasp of concepts instead of just what your route is. He’s a playmaker. He’s exciting when he gets the ball in his hands. He’s been a good addition for us.”

(On what potential he sees in Beckham)
“Yeah, I see a lot of potential. He’s come in and made a lot of plays. He’s got the big play potential. He catches the ball very naturally. He’s got great speed and burst. I think you put that with his…he’s got a good work ethic. Hopefully he can stay healthy and just keep working and keep getting better. I think he has that mentality.”

(On how difficult it is for him not to be in the playoff hunt)
“Yeah, it’s tough. Obviously, not what you want, but I think you have to be professional about it and understand these games are still important. They’re still important to us. We’re going to fight our tails off and we’re going to try and get a win and try to feel good that we’re getting better. Feel good about our week of preparation. We know we’re going against a tough team in the Rams that are probably playing their best football right now and playing really well. We’ve got to be well prepared for them.”

(On the Rams’ defense)
“They’re just not giving up many big plays. They’re getting great pressure on the quarterback. Teams aren’t running the ball well against them. They’re playing fast and aggressive. It seems like they’ve got a great feel for what they’re doing, their assignments and they’re really just playing at a high speed and playing really well.”

(On what he’s sees from the Rams’ young secondary)
“I think they’re playing aggressive. They know their assignments. They have a good feel for what teams are trying to do and trying to take away some of their key routes. I feel like they tackle well. They get their hands on balls and they’re doing a good job.”

(On if he feels extra offensive pressure to produce touchdowns against the Rams who haven’t allowed a touchdown in past three games)
“(laughs) I don’t think it puts extra pressure. I think we’re going to try and have a great game plan and just try and move the ball. Try to get into the redzone and see once we get down there, see if we can finish a drive and get some good plays versus their defense. Need someone to step up and make a big play for us.”

(On his partnership with Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin)
“I think Coach Coughlin and I get along very well. I have great respect for him and his work ethic and his commitment to football, how he gets us mentally prepared to play each game. I think we both love what we’re doing and work extremely hard and we’re both passionate about football.”

(On if it’s tough seeing the pressure on Coughlin from the media)
“Yeah. You never want to see that or hear that because it means that I’m not doing my job very well. I think Coach Coughlin’s done a great job. He’s done a great job of talking to the players and telling us not to worry about any distractions. Just worry about this next game and getting a win.”

(On how much pride he takes in having the longest active consecutive starting streak in the NFL)
“I really just want to be there for my teammates. Be there week in and week out. I know I’ve got a lot of teammates who are playing injured and are playing through pain and are hurt and I want to do the same for them if that comes up. I just take pride and being out there every day and being accountable.”

(On his success against the Rams)
“No. I think it’s a coincidence. Obviously they’ve got different coaches and different schemes over the years. I know they’re playing good football right now with (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams and (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher so they’ve got a good squad and good coaches. It’s been a few years since I’ve made it to St. Louis and played. Hopefully we go in there and have a good game plan and execute it well.”