TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy and S Eric Weddle (11-19-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPT: Conference Calls with Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy and S Eric Weddle (11-19-14)

Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy – Conference Call – November 19, 2014

(On how important Sunday’s win was after three straight losses and trying to keep themselves in the playoff race)
“We’re not worried about the latter part of what you mentioned. We’re worried about trying to win a football game, week-in and week-out. We’re taking it one week at a time like we have from the first game until now. It’s important each Sunday to go out there and improve from the week before and find a way to win a game. We’re taking it one week at a time and the most important thing is to be 1-0 at the end of the week. That’s been our focus for the entire year. It was great to get a win last week against a good football team and we found a way to get it done.”

(On how they’ve overcome injuries)
“The next man up mentality. We’ve practiced that way from… that’s something we’ve always emphasized here from Day 1 here, as an organization. The way we’re going to do things and when you bring players in there’s a reason why they’re here. Everyone has a role on the football team. You’re always one snap away from playing. You talk about it in the off season. You have those players understand that from Day 1and they did a nice job. All the guys who were asked to get into a role that they didn’t have initially, at the beginning of the season, have done a great job of stepping up.”

(On what challenges the Rams’ defense brings)
“(Head Coach) Jeff Fisher and (Defensive Coordinator) Gregg Williams’ defense have always been aggressive in getting after the quarterback. Whether it’s a four-man rush or with pressures, the designs they have to attack your, certain protection schemes you have. Always been very active up front and moving around. Very fast teams - that’s exactly what you see on film.”

(On what challenges the Rams offense brings)
“Number one you have to stop the run, obviously. The way they are, with the three backs that play in the game that are very effective at what they do. You got to make sure you’ve got to be very responsible on the outside also because of all the explosive players they have on the outside. In addition to (WR) Kenny Britt to be out there with them, a big target that’s been very effective when he’s played, whether it’s Tennessee or now in St. Louis. The other explosive players they have, so we’ve got to have our best game defensively also.”

(On what S Eric Weddle means to the Chargers’ defense)
“He’s a great leader. The way his work ethic and the way he goes around. He’s really the quarterback of the defense back there. The number of years he’s put in and what he’s done at a very high level. Having played against him for the years whether I was in Carolina or Denver, his production. You always had to know where he was because he’s a very intelligent football player. He studies like no other. He’s knows your game plans inside and out or your tendencies, I should say, inside and out. He’s a student of the game. He does a great job.”

(On what attributes that have made Chargers QB Philip Rivers successful)
“I think number one, his accuracies are great. He’s a very accurate quarterback. I think the time that we’ve been together, of understanding how quickly he picked up the system and his football knowledge. He’s a football junkie. He obviously loves the game and he understands it’s an honor to be a member of the NFL family and to go out there every Sunday. So, that’s the way he approaches every day of the year. If there’s anyway he can improve or work on something, he’s always doing that. The way he studies and his preparation is unbelievable. What he does on game day with the football team. To be the leader of our organization we’re very fortunate to have him.”

(On what former Rams’ QB Kellen Clemens has meant to the Chargers)
“He’s done a nice job to fit in his role. I think from the time he got here, he fit in. He did an outstanding job of, number one, learning the system and understanding his role. I think he’s been great with Philip, the way they communicate. I think it’s important that the backup quarterback and the starting quarterback have a great working relationship also. To be able to, not just be good buddies, but to be able to talk with one another and having them both played the position for a number of years to be able to talk through things. Because on game days, as coaches we coach them in between every play and help them with things when it comes to sideline. But it’s always good when you have that other guy, that other type of voice that might look at with a little bit different perspective than a coach’s perspective. Whether it’s in a meeting that they have good questions or a concern about something. He might say, ‘Hey, listen what do you think about this?’ and give us some good ideas. It’s nice to have a veteran like Kellen, he’s done a great job for us.”

(On if the Rams quarterback change impacts the way they prepare)
“I think like any team there’s going to be a change from week to week. Regardless of what the position is. I think that as coaches we always do what we think the players do best. There might be something that they run this week that they haven’t run in a while. I think for the most part, I think the core of their offensive philosophies’ in. They’re going to do what they’re going to do. At the end you always look at your players and say, ‘Okay, what does this quarterback do best? What types of throws does he do better than the player before him, or vice versa?’ What are some things that, ‘Hey, we may want to eliminate because we have a different style of quarterback, a different type of guy that likes different things.’ That’s every week. You have certain players regardless of the position is there’s certain things you adjust to.”

(On what TE Antonio Gates brings to the offense)
“I think him and Philip together, I honestly say from the first day that I’ve been here from the offseason program. When you saw these guys work together, it’s like they could almost go out there with a blindfold. They just have a knack for another on how they’re doing certain things. Philip can read Antonio’s body language or Antonio knows certain things when Philip’s looking off to make a certain adjustment on a route or slow things down, knowing that the ball might be coming back to him. I think his work ethic is second to none out here on the practice field. You look at it as successful as he’s been, you see how he works through training camp, through the offseason program. He knows he’s not getting the ball, but he’s still doing everything full speed to take the top of the defense off. And an unselfish guy, a good leader. More of a leader by example, but just plays the way it’s supposed to be played every day.”

Chargers S Eric Weddle – Conference Call – November 19, 2014

(On the performance of the defense this season and the return of some injured players)
“Obviously, getting back (Chargers LB) Manti (Te’o), (Chargers LB) Melvin (Ingram) and (Chargers LB) Jerry (Attaochu), getting some athleticism and speed back, and just a rotation for the guys in that front seven, it was badly needed. Those guys are playing a lot of reps and I think it caught up to us a little bit. We had a good rotation going, guys flying around knowing their roles and their responsibilities and not trying to focus on stuff they can’t control. It worked out well. We played pretty sound, played together and it showed last week.”

(On what the return of Ingram means for the defense)
“He just brings energy and that speed running to the ball, had a couple pressures and then just showed his effort on one of the second long runs where he ran him down and helped me get him down. It’s just plays like that where you miss when you don’t have him because then it means more plays for (Chargers LB Jarret Johnson) J.J. and (Chargers LB) Dwight (Freeney) and late in the game and it wears on those guys. So having him back and then getting him able to get after the quarterback, him and Jerry and with those guys it helps us greatly.”

(On if what the Rams were able to do against the Broncos affects their game plan)
“What they did to Denver’s offense is not my discretion, I’m worried about their offense. They’re just playing well. They’re physical, they have big O-lineman. Obviously, (RB) Tre Mason’s playing outstanding and they’ve kind of solidified him as the running back and the 36 (RB Benny Cunningham) comes in and spells him. Obviously, we know what (WR) Kenny Britt and (TE Jared) Cook can do, they can kill defenses. Cook’s a mismatch, played against him a few times. Those guys are explosive, they make plays down the field. Obviously, they showed last week with the big plays and they showed over the course of the season. Then getting (QB) Shaun Hill back in there, he didn’t make any mistakes, made plays when he needed to. They present a lot of challenges for us. Obviously, a (Head Coach) Jeff Fisher team is well coached. They’re tough, they’re physical. They play the game the way it’s supposed to be played, running the football and playing great defense. We’re excited for the challenge. Obviously, it’s going to be tough on us, but us as a defense look forward to going against an offense like this.”

(On if the Rams’ decision to switch quarterbacks changed their game plan)
“No, we game-plan against the schematics and the philosophy and what they’re running as a whole as an offense. When you look at both quarterbacks, they run the same plays mostly. (QB Austin) Davis is a little more athletic and moves around the pocket a little bit more and ran around. Shaun Hill’s just a true drop-back, he gets the ball out quick, makes his reads and gets the ball out. They present both challenges, but with Shaun Hill in there we know what they’re going to do because he’s a veteran quarterback. He does not make mistakes. You’ve got to try and make it tough on him and hopefully make some plays against him.”

(On if growing up in San Diego makes playing for the Chargers more fun)
“Yeah, it’s definitely a blessing. Got lucky when I got drafted here in ’07, out of all the teams to get drafted here and I grew up an hour and twenty minutes north of here in Rancho Cucamonga. I’m able to see all my family and friends. They’re there at every home game. It’s just another reason to go out and play hard and play great for the people and family that support you. It’s always on mind and I’m definitely thankful for that because I could’ve ended up 31 other places.”

(On if he grew up a Chargers fan)
“I grew up a fan of the Cowboys early on, early 90s when they won those Super Bowls. Went to high school got a little bit older, started to become a fan of the Chargers. College once (LaDainian Tomlinson) ‘LT’ went there and they started winning a bunch of games, I started rooting for the hometown team and now it’s a dream come true to play for them.”

(On if he felt any added pressure when the Chargers traded up to draft him)
“A wise man once told me, ‘Pressure’s self-inflicted.’ I put a lot of pressure on myself anyways and it just so happened that I ended up here and they gave up a lot to get me. I’m very loyal to where I work and who’s closed to me. I will forever indebted to the Chargers organization to (Chargers President) Dean (Spanos) and to (Former Chargers General Manager) A.J. (Smith) who brought me here and to (Former Chargers Head Coach) Norv (Turner) and then them re-signing me and keeping me here. It’s not pressure, it’s something that I put pressure on myself to be a great player and to prove it every week not because they gave up a bunch of picks and I got drafted higher, they traded up to get me, or got this contract. It’s not why I play the game. I play for my teammates and the organization to be the very best I can be.”

(On what Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy has brought to the Chargers organization)
“Just accountability, the seriousness of the day-to-day preparation, the focus, the little things matter on and off the field. Being a good person, respecting your fellow teammates throughout the organization. When you go out after practice doing the things right because it all carries over. You’re here for a reason and you need to act like it and you need to treat this thing like it’s your No. 1 priority as it should be, because this whole team is relying on you to do the right thing. He’s brought that focus and just the accountability to each other and that family atmosphere. This is an extremely tight-knit group. We don’t turn our backs on each other. We fight through adversity. When in doubt we’ll look at each other and look at ourselves before we point any fingers. It’s great to be a part of.”

(On if he’s proud that all of his hard work in high school and college paying off for him in the NFL)
“Yeah, I’ve always been told I can’t do this or I’m not as good as this player, or he’s faster than me. I’ll take what I can do on the field and put it up against anybody else and athletically as well. It’s just added motivation. You always see those things. As the older you get, you block most of it out, but you still need that little kick in your pants to keep you going and keep striving to be great. It’s helped me over the years to continue to show people, not only people on the outside, but my peers and other teams on what kind of player I am and what I stand for. I’ll continue to do that and hopefully at a high level.”

(On the importance of the beating Oakland last week as it relates to the playoff picture)
“It’s huge. We couldn’t have gotten another loss and try to keep pace with our division and the race overall in the AFC. This is an even bigger game. You talk about in November and December, the games get bigger and bigger each week with more meaning and a playoff atmosphere type game. It gets not bigger than this week. Even bigger than it was last week. We’ve got to stay pace, we’ve got to keep grinding and you’ve just have to win as many games as you can down the stretch to give yourself a chance to make the playoffs. We’re one game out of this division, so we’re right there. Both teams have a lot going for themselves. The Rams still have a chance as well. We expect a tough, physical, grind-it game and the best team will win on Sunday afternoon.”

(On if he’s ever faced Hill before)
“I’m not sure. He was with Detroit for a while, but I think (Matt) Stafford was the quarterback. I don’t know where he was before that or after that. I’ve seen him play a number of times and he’s played well. Been in the league for a number of years. He’s definitely capable to make plays and you put a good team around him then he can hurt you.”