TRANSCRIPT: Conference Call w/Gus Bradley & Blaine Gabbert

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jaguars Head Coach Gus Bradley– Conference Call – October 2, 2013

(On the mood of the locker room after an 0-4 start and what they can do to improve)
“We have our beliefs. We have our philosophy. We’ve established that throughout OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp, and now those beliefs are being challenged. Our guys, we had a really good team meeting today. We went a little bit longer than normal and it was really real. We just kind of talked through some things and had a really good team meeting and it finished really well. So, I would say the mood of our locker room is really good. Not great, obviously, with the situation we’re in, but I really like how our guys are staying true to it.”

(On how to get the running game going)
“Well, that’s always a question. Do you loosen up defenses by throwing the ball and then you run? Or is it vice versa? I think we’re just trying to find out our guys…we’ve had some different guys in the lineup and hopefully we can get some stability as far as the health of our guys, so we can continue to evaluate what we do best. And I think we’re in that mode right now. We’re just trying to find out the strengths of every individual and then seeing where we’ve had some success and then try to master that.”

(On if he thinks the Jaguars are at the same point that the Rams are at this part of the season)
“That’s a great question. When I was at Seattle, we played St. Louis a couple times a year. St. Louis is a very talented team, got some very good players on their team. As far as trying to find identity offensively, it feels similar. Although, they may not think that, but I know that’s where we’re at. I can’t tell you where St. Louis is at, what their feeling is, just more about how we are.”

(On how he feels about getting WR Justin Blackmon back from suspension)
“He’s been very good. The last four weeks that he’s been out, I felt like he’s really had a good four weeks. He competed in all the areas that we asked him to do and I know he’s come in in really good shape. His attitude is great. Some of the things he did during those four weeks, as far as the competing part, were outstanding. Our guys are fired up to get him back.”

(On QB Blaine Gabbert)
“What I think I’ve seen in Blaine the last six or seven months is his maturity. He’s a very positive individual, very upbeat. Was in all day yesterday, watched tape, went and worked out with some of the guys. He’s really taken on that leadership role. He’s taken some hits now as far as hits on the quarterback. And his poise and ability to stand in the pocket and his willingness has all been very impressive, and that’s why I think it’s real easy to stand by him.”

(On quarterbacks getting blamed when things are going poorly)
“They sure do. That’s the nature of the quarterback position. I think that’s where they’re counting on me as a team, is to stay strong, stay committed – not only to Blaine, but to our whole team. With the group of guys we have it’s easy to do that.”

(On what kinds of things he has to do to throw the Rams off offensively)
“I think it’s going to come down to execution on both sides. You see where the Rams, when you watch them on tape, they look really good. They really execute. They really do some good things and some challenging things to a defense. The scheme is like that, so they have the ability to kind of close the formations down and run and use play passes and they can spread you out. So, any time you’re facing a team like that it presents challenges. I’ve felt it’s always about the execution – who can execute better, the offense or the defense.”

(On Gabbert’s progression as a quarterback)
“To Blaine’s credit, we haven’t had consistent weeks with Blaine as far as practice. This will be the first time that he’s gone back-to-back weeks without being injured. When you think about it, I think he has six practices in like five weeks for us. So, now to get him back and get him in the rhythm of practice weeks and get him in that mode, I think that’s what he needs more than anything right now.”

(On having a positive attitude regardless of their record)
“I know people at times may be frustrated and discouraged, but to me, I know getting discouraged isn’t the way to get better, so we just stay away from that. Whether we were 4-0 or 0-4 or 2-2, it doesn’t matter right now at this point in time. To go back and reflect and think about that is only a distraction, so the challenge is to get our team to focus on this task that we have in front of us on Sunday. If we can do that, then I think we’ll have a great opportunity to get better this week.”

(On the challenges the Rams defense presents)
“I think they’re very good up front – all four. Very stout inside, great pass rushers on the perimeter. Obviously with the number of sacks they had last year, they’ve got the ability to do it. Their linebackers – (James) Laurinaitis I think is really sharp and really on the details – plays extremely aggressive. And (Alec) Ogletree is really playing well now. He’s got tremendous speed, so their core guys in the middle now, I think, is the strength of their defense.”

Jacksonville Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert – Conference Call – October 2, 2013

(On who he likes in the Mizzou vs. Vanderbilt game)
“Hopefully Mizzou. It will be a good game though.”

(On if he follows Missouri football)
“Yeah, every Saturday I try and watch some football. It’s tough down here, though, because we don’t get a lot of the locally televised games, but now that they start the SEC conference this Saturday, so we should have all the games now.”

(On how much he’s looking forward to playing in his hometown this weekend)
“It’ll be a lot of fun. The last time I played there was, I think, the Mizzou/Illinois game, so it’s going to be a nice return to the (Edward Jones) Dome and we’re ready to go.”

(On his record playing at the Edward Jones Dome)
“I believe 2-0 as a starter, and I think we won there my freshman year as well.”

(On playing in front of his friends and family this weekend)
“Pretty much all my family is still in St. Louis, so there will be a nice gathering at the game. It’ll be fun for those guys to see me play at home.”

(On if he will have time to spend with his family)
“There may be a little time, but it’s tough on away travel trips just because you get in not very early and then you have night meetings. But, I’m sure I’ll have time to see my brothers and see my parents as well.”

(On the Rams defense)
“They’re extremely talented. They have great players in the front seven and in the secondary, so what we’re focusing on is really ourselves. We have to focus on our job and how we execute plays because every defense is going to make plays in the game, but our job right now is just to focus on the details because that’s what’s been getting us in trouble the first four weeks. We really have to hone in on all the little mistakes that we’ve been making.”

(On the Jaguars trading T Eugene Monroe)
“It opens up an opportunity for (T) Luke (Joeckel) to go to the left side and other guys to step up on the right side. Eugene was a great player for us and he was a great friend of mine. He’s going to do great in Baltimore and I wish him nothing but the best.”

(On how much it will help having WR Justin Blackmon back in the lineup)
“A lot. Justin’s a great player and he’s been working extremely hard the last four weeks and really getting himself in position to come in and make an instant impact. He’s a great receiver and we missed him. You can’t deny the fact that he was missing the first four weeks, but it’s great to have him back and put him back in the offense.”

(On his level of comfort with the new offensive system)
“Every day you’re in a new offensive system, the more comfortable you get. Every week of practice, the more and more comfortable you’ll get. It was unfortunate that my preseason was cut short, and then the last couple weeks have been cut short just with little nagging injuries, but the more and more I practice, the more comfortable I’m getting and that’s all you ask for. You ask for consistent improvement week in and week out.”

(On what it’s like playing for Head Coach Gus Bradley)
“Coach Gus is awesome and he really has an infectious personality. The energy and enthusiasm that he brings on a daily basis, guys feed off of it. And that’s the type of atmosphere that him and (General Manager) Dave (Caldwell) and (Jaguars Owner) Mr. (Shahid) Kahn are building here in this organization and it’s on the rise.”

(On what has been tough for him transitioning into the NFL)
“I would pick the type of players that you play week-in and week-out. Whereas in college, you knew that you were going to have game where you were going to win, but in the NFL the type of caliber of the players you face week-in and week-out, anybody can win. It really brings a new meaning to the saying ‘Any given Sunday’ because any given Sunday, any team can win.”

(On if the quarterback takes more blame than he is due when the team is losing)
“Well, it’s rightfully deserved. It’s part of the job description when you signed up. The quarterback and the head coach are the ones that get the blame and they’re the ones that get more of the credit than they deserve when things are going well. But, it’s the quarterback’s job to lead his football team and it’s the quarterback’s job to get points on the board. That’s the thing that we’re working towards right now, and really it just boils down to the 11 guys around the field at any given time. You just have to focus on your job and do that job well.”

(On the team’s attitude at this point in the season)
“Extremely positive. The last four weeks nobody expected to be 0-4, but at the same time you can’t control the past. All you can focus on is right now. What we can focus on right now is learning from our past mistakes, applying them to practice today and just getting better each day at practice.”

(On if he has to be patient when playing on a team that’s in a rebuilding mode)
“Patience is key. It’s a very long season and you’ve just got to ride the wave. There are going to be peaks and valleys in every football game and every year. But it’s the quarterback’s job, and it’s really an NFL player’s job, to still come into work with the same mindset day-in and day-out – eager to get better, eager to learn – because you know that things will change.”

(On what Jaguars’ Owner Shahid Khan is like)
“Shahid’s a great guy and everything that he’s done since he took ownership of this team has been wonderful. He’s really upgraded our facility here. He’s been really involved not only with us, but as well as in the community. From that standpoint, it’s been a blast working for him.”

(On his three interceptions last week)
“It’s part of the game and what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to look at the reasons why. It’s all 11 guys on the field having an effect on every single play. Interceptions are a part of the game. Obviously, you want to eliminate them or minimize them as much as you can, but when they do happen you’ve got to find ways to overcome them. We had opportunities in that game to score and we just didn’t capitalize on them.”