TRANSCRIPT: Bills Head Coach Rex Ryan (10/3/16)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Opening statement:

Alright guys I don’t have a whole lot to say so I will open it up for questions.

Q: Will Marcell Dareus coming back to the team this week, or will he be delayed?
A: No, I expect him to play. He has already been delayed four games. So yeah he will play. What capacity, how much he really plays I am not sure. He is definitely going to play.

Q: Is he here? Is he back in the building today?
A: Yeah he was in our building, I personally didn’t see him. But he was in our building.

Q: Is his rehab completed, what do you know on that?
A: No I am not sure. I am not going to get into specifics on his, what he is doing off the field or anything like that. My understanding is he is in good spirits and looking forward to getting back out there with his teammates.

Q: He is ready to fully commit to the team?
A: Yes.

Q: Seantrel?
A: Seantrel (Henderson) yeah we will see how he looks. Will he play this week? I am not real sure. We are going to find out. But I think with Marcell (Dareus), he is definitely going to play.

Q: How does it affect the chemistry of getting Marcell back that is built after the last two games?
A: Well I think Marcell (Dareus) is going to come in and add to it. I think everybody, all his teammates are looking forward to having Marcell back out there.

Q: You have till Saturday for roster exemptions, will you make moves earlier or later in the week?
A: I think we will let the week play out then we will make some moves.

Q: How much of an added bonus is it to be 2-2 and you get one of your best players back.
A: It feels good. I mean it will be, the guys I will tell you what, Corbin Bryant in particular has stepped in and played that nose tackle spot. Even though Corbin is more a tackle, end type, but he jumped right in there. Unselfish guy and he just wants to help the team. I thought he did an outstanding job in place of Marcell (Dareus). Obviously he is going to fit in big time in the rotation we will have, that should be much stronger now that it even was.

Q: Zach Brown’s game was impressive, what was it like watching it on again on tape?
A: Tell you the most impressive play, the 18 tackles that is pretty impressive, two forced fumbles, sack, so I will be shocked if he doesn’t win national awards for his performance. But the one that was most impressive is the one that doesn’t count and thank goodness it didn’t, is when he chased (Julian) Edelman down at the one yard line. I don’t think there are many linebackers if any linebackers in the league that are going to make that play other than him.

Q: What role does Reggie Bush have at this point?
A: Well right now it is, it is tough too because with the kind of talent he has it is almost being patient, because each game plan is different. We brought him in initially to be our primary kick and punt returner, and then playing a pony package which is a two tailback package and do different things. We still have that available it is just this last game in particular he wasn’t up because we really weren’t doing that package. You know he has got, he is healthy which I think is a great thing. He is still a player that has a lot of juice. To me I think, you don’t go through this season unscathed, I am pleased that he is on our football team. He will have a role, albeit sometimes it is a different role depending on game plan and certain weeks.

Q: Are you expecting to hear anything from the league on the pregame scuffle?
A: No. I mean, my take on it, I wasn’t in the middle of it or whatever I was on the other side. When I walked over there is was already gone. Sometimes those things happen but I don’t think it escalated.

Q: We are close to when Shaq Lawson can return, how far away do you think he is from returning?
A: I think he is going to be ready to roll. When his time is up, he is doing a really good job in the weight room and things. Now he is not going to be in football shape, so don’t expect him to come in and being starting. He hasn’t even been through one practice, one NFL practice, but we will definitely work him in when he gets back. I would anticipate him getting back as soon as he is eligible.

Q: So you expect him to play in week seven?
A: Yes.

Q: Brandon Spikes played on the edge a little yesterday and that is something we haven’t seen before?
A: We just love his temperament, and the type of player he is. Physical, downhill player, we are just trying to get out best players on the field. So if there is a role for that then that is where we are going to play him. The two inside guys are playing so well right now it is hard to get (Brandon) Spikes or (Ramon) Humber in there but we are trying to find something for them. Spike is such, he is, he has got some leadership to him as well, he builds people up. He elevates other people’s game. So you try to find a role for him every week.

Q: You are going back to the Coliseum do you have any memories there, or the old LA Rams, did you collect cards?
A: More Fred Dryer cards, than Jack Youngblood’s I think. Oh yeah and I got an old Philadelphia gum you know Merlin Olsen cards he is posing like this with his helmet on and things. So I was definitely into. I get sets from the 50’s you know football cards and all that. So I am just a fan, I am a fan of sports, football, baseball, whatever. I remember being in LA I remember when the Vikings played a Super Bowl there and my dad was the defensive line coach and it was not one of our prouder moments when they played the Raiders and they ran the ball a zillion times. Right behind Art Shell and Gene Upshaw, but I remember that, it wasn’t good. Other than that it is, it is just an unbelievable venue so I am excited about that.

Q: The visiting locker room is just a tiny box, remember that?
A: No I don’t remember, I was never in the locker room there. It can’t be worse there used to be some that they just put a nail up there, so I think there were two shower heads for the whole team. Might be worse, maybe alright, but we will see.

Q: Will you travel on Friday to adjust?
A: No. We looked at doing different things but quite honestly we couldn’t make it work. So we are going to head out Saturday.

Q: Your third down offense improved, was it something Anthony Lynn changed, or what can you attribute to that?
A: It is a lot of different things for us. You hit on it. It is a big thing for us. It is a team stat, time of possession a lot of times is a team statistic and we needed improve drastically from the previous year offensively. I think we are headed in the right direction. Part of that is staying in front of the sticks, your pass protection holds up. We had an opportunity to win some battles, I think we have done that. Also having the opportunity to run the ball some. When you have a player like Tyrod (Taylor), you got a player like Shady (LeSean) McCoy I think it gives you that you better try to stop them if not we will just give the ball off to him and let him run for it. It opens up your passing game a little bit and our guys, I think we are taking advantage of the talent that we have. I think our guys are doing a good job of that, Anthony in particular.

Q: Where are things at with Sammy and his foot?

A: The only thing I can tell you is that he’s on IR right now and that’s all I can tell you.

Q: How much are you looking forward to seeing Shaq Lawson when he gets back? Are there any expectations?

A: We’re definitely looking forward to it. I think he’s an outstanding player and he loves to play the game. As a passionate guy, I think he’s going to fit right in with the guys we have and it’s only going to help us. When you’re able to keep a guy like Lorenzo Alexander fresh, you give Jerry Hughes a couple of plays off. I think that helps the whole team.

Q: What’s the difference between the team now compared to the team after week two?

A: We just had a horrible day. We can say what we want. We had a horrendous day week two. Week one, we sputtered a little bit offensively. The real bad day was week two. Our defense played poorly. It wasn’t what we were expecting by any stretch of the imagination. This is more the type of team we expected and we just have to stay the course. We dug ourselves out to this point, being 0-2 to get to 2-2, because of how hard we worked and all the preparation time and the accountability to each other. Not letting each other down and demanding a lot from each other. I think that’s the only reason we’re where we’re at now, the 2-2 thing. And we still need to keep digging. We’ll never make up for that 0-2 start but we’re just going to keep taking that dirt off of us and keep working.

Q: Eric Wood said on the radio that even though it was victory Monday, every single player came in. Was that just because it was Patriots or what was the turnout today and how encouraging was that for you?

A: It’s about the same thing today too, so that’s where the team’s at. I think we know the team. We’re getting everything this team has. That’s why I feel great about it.

Q: Was it 100% today, every single guy?

A: I never took attendance but I would be shocked if it wasn’t.

Q: Is there a tendency to have early burials for teams, at least from an outside perspective?

A: I think it’s a long season. Well a team’s struggling at that record, we’ve hit the quarter pole. I think it’s too early and you can’t count out any team and you can’t crown any team right now, in my opinion.

Q: Can you say what kind of team you have at the quarter pole?

A: I think we’re definitely finding ourselves. We know we need to improve as a team but we know how to do it. We know it’s through hard work and it’s through preparation. That’s how this team’s going to get better.

Q: How quickly do you think you can get Justin Hunter up to speed?

A: I have a possibility that we’ll see him this Sunday. I know he’s been at it. He’s been studying. He’s doing all that. So we’ll see how he is on a practice field. I hope he can help us. I’d like to get that big body, that kind of size and speed he has. I think that can really help us. In particular in the red zone. Hopefully he’ll get up to speed quickly.

Q: Did you like him coming out of Tennessee and did you ever have to coach against him at any point in the pros?

A: Yes to both of those. I did like him when he came out. He was a big play receiver. They had a couple good receivers coming out of his team and he might have been the most talented receiver on his team. Then facing him, I remember we were playing Tennessee and I’m like, “they’re just going to throw a vertical shot up to this guy.” Well they did for a touchdown. It’s like right before half, I’m like, “you’ve got to be kidding.” We know it’s coming up but we couldn’t defend it because he does have this kind of length and height. He’ll go up and compete for the football. Those are things I know about him. The other part, we’ll find out.

Q: You had a play on offense, you declined a penalty and kicked a field goal, you could’ve gone 3rddown over for a shorter distance, your defense was playing well, what went into that decision?

A: That was it. I thought that was going to be a much easier field goal. I thought that there was no slide on our offense at all. I could have done it but this is where this team, New England, historically makes a ton of plays in this area, and I’m like, “Why do it? Let’s go up 10.” We’re playing and I just felt really confident. Let’s get the three more points on the board and that’s why I did it.

Q: Robert Woods and Charles Clay had a big impact, what did you see from them and will you maybe expand that going forward?

A: We we’ll see. It’s hard to double both of those guys and a lot of that has to do with our running game. So, they might be able to double one but it’s hard to double both. It was good. We had both those guys winning their one-on-one battles and Tyrod was accurate with the football, so there were some good signs for us.

Q: Besides the faster pace on offense, is there anything you can point to that’s working better?

A: I don’t want to say anything that way because I think it’s a slight maybe to Greg or someone who did an outstanding job for us. It’s just, things are a lot tighter. We don’t quite have the volume but we have plenty. It’s not like we’re going in there with just three running plays and 12 passes or something. We have plenty. We’re practicing it, we’re doing a good job. I think we’re confident in what the plan is.

Q: A couple of Patriots players said they were still upset about the pregame scuffle and said they’re going to remember it going forward. Have you addressed it with your team at all or are you concerned that it’s something will put a target on your back.

A: No. I really don’t want to comment on it. It had nothing to do with the outcome of the game. We were there for one reason and one reason only. That was to win a football game, and we can check that box off so you can remember that.

Q: Did you happen to see the Ben Affleck video of him commenting about the Bills beating the Patriots?

A: No, I have not.

Q: Would you like to?

A: No. They’re saying no. That’s okay. I upset somebody? That’s a shock.

Q: The Rams are 30th in offense, 23rd on defense, but they’re 3-1. Do you think those numbers are where they are?

A: Well I think first off, the only one that matters is the 3-1 record. I’d take those stats for our football team if we were 3-1. I would much rather be 3-1 than 2-2. I don’t think at this stage, it’s a true, telling stat. At this stage, they can run the football, they’re physical on offense. They’ve got some playmakers and on defense they create a lot of turnovers and have an outstanding front four. If they’re not the best in the league, they’re certainly in the conversation.

Q: Rex you said that you had Patriots sources that said Brissett was playing quarterback. Preston Brown said you had inside knowledge of that.

A: Absolutely. As far as you guys know. That’s just great. I stirred the pot and you know they’re sitting back saying, “who is it? Who is it?” I was BS-ing the whole time. If people are worried about it, that’s awesome. That’s good. Let them think they got someone

Q: Are you sure you don’t want to see the Ben Affleck video?

A: I’m pretty sure I don’t want to see it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmm.....I wonder what was the deal in Tennessee with Dorial Beckham.....and Justin Hunter? I'd fire the wr coach that couldn't get them going.....
I actually like Rex...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Lol, barely a mention albeit towards the end about their opponent, these guys (east coast media) have no absolutely no idea what's about to happen to these posers