Training Camp (TUE Aug-15)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff's problems weren't going to go away after one offseason. He may still be fine but he's gonna have a rocky year. My only question is if it's a rocky year on the way to bigger things or if it's a sign of things to come.

Thinking the kid is gonna pass for 4000 yards and 20 odd touchdowns with single digit interceptions is just asking too much of him in his second year after what he showed last year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Goff's problems weren't going to go away after one offseason. He may still be fine but he's gonna have a rocky year. My only question is if it's a rocky year on the way to bigger things or if it's a sign of things to come.

Thinking the kid is gonna pass for 4000 yards and 20 odd touchdowns with single digit interceptions is just asking too much of him in his second year after what he showed last year.
Peyton Manning passed for 4100 yards 26 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in his 2nd season. That's probably what we're looking at with Goff this year.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning passed for 4100 yards 26 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in his 2nd season. That's probably what we're looking at with Goff this year.
I really hate that comparison to compare one of the best to ever play the game just isn't fair and one thing that allowed Manning to succeed in his career is his knowledge of the game how quick he make his reads and his accuracy all of which is far superior and was far superior to Goff at this time in their careers

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL you knew this was going to happen. Just can't help himself but make Goff sound bad, pimps the defense and any time he mentions a positive for Goff he throws in key words like actually and surprising and the like to make it sound less than it was.
Lol he is much worse then me

Ram65

Legend
It sounds like our defense is just starting to know Goffs tendacies. Plus, Wade is probably a better defensive coordinator then Sean McVay is at offense.

I've been thinking they picked up Goffs tendencies for awhile.

McVay has put a lot on Goff's plate with learning a new offense, making line calls and a lot of new WR/TEs. All this while going against a very good Phillip's defense. I hope it's more time but, he has to not stare down his targets.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Let's
Met up with @theduke
Biggest concern is Goff. He does not look off his primary target. Plus @theduke pointed out he pumps once prior to his throws in the same direction he is looking. This is keying the cover man that the ball is about to come his way.

Somebody mix me a strong batch of koolaid.

As you very well know, he's still sharing many of the reps at this stage of camp while working on fundamentals. He's also still building chemistry with the different allotment of pass catchers vs live defenses.

There is no doubt he's been hot and cold processing the playbook language and route trees in McVay's offense as some have expressed what they've witnessed in practice.

I never expected him to be polished up at this stage of camp where he's looking hard to the left and visualizing the entire route tree in his head before he looks quickly to the middle of the field and then to his right before he fires a strike.

We may even see some blunders at Oakland this Saturday but that will be the first real test and body of work that McVay & LeFleur will have to go on as they get him up to speed with each new offensive series leading up to Week 1.

I do expect the polished part of his game to come along much more in the final 8 or 9 days of practice when the real preparation for the opener begins.

When McVay game plans for the Colts and #16 gets the majority of all the reps and then gets in the man cave (film room) with McVay, the fine tuning that happens then, is something that fans won't get to witness like the practices that have been open to the public.

I could be wrong about this and he's just too far behind schedule from where he should be...

Until I see with my own eyes what some are concerned about when he's under center during the first few games of the regular season, I'm holding steadfast with my theory.

Jared-Goff-LA-Rams-vs-Cowboys.jpg

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I really hate that comparison to compare one of the best to ever play the game just isn't fair and one thing that allowed Manning to succeed in his career is his knowledge of the game how quick he make his reads and his accuracy all of which is far superior and was far superior to Goff at this time in their careers
I don't think it's a bad comparison. Two QBs with top notch attributes coming out of college with utter shit rookie seasons. People forget that Peyton Manning wasn't Peyton Manning until about his 6th year in the league. He threw 100 INTs in his first 5 seasons. His last 13 years he threw 151. QBs take time to develop. Even the great ones.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's a bad comparison. Two QBs with top notch attributes coming out of college with utter crap rookie seasons. People forget that Peyton Manning wasn't Peyton Manning until about his 6th year in the league. He threw 100 INTs in his first 5 seasons. His last 13 years he threw 151. QBs take time to develop. Even the great ones.
I agree, it's just plenty of others QBs that could never overcome that rookie season too, I definitely want that to be true while I don't think he throws for 4000 yards I think he can be very efficient and that's what we need coupled with our running game and defense we should be fine

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
He's still doing that on almost every throw???? Hmmmm....
Yes, he is. It's like he sees something, changes his mind, pump-fakes, then changes his mind and throws it that way anyway. The window was already closing up, but the pump fake IN THAT DIRECTION draws the defender closer and buys him time to close the distance. When the ball finally comes, they're in perfect position to get the pick, hence the 3 (really, 5) interceptions in practice yesterday, and the three or four he had today.

The drive where they capped it off with a touchdown to Gerald Everett was in the two minute drill, with a bunch of throws to the outside. It may be good for the offense, but it reminded me of just how bad our two-minute defense is. We lost the game against the Dolphins last year because of terrible two-minute defense.

A55VA6

Legend
Seems like the thing with Goff is inconsistency and maybe decisiveness... but I mean, we have a good defense that plays him every day, so I'd like to see more Goff against other defenses.

He's a smart kid, but remember.. Goff wasn't supposed to be a great QB right off the bat. Give the kid a couple years (and hopefully shows improvement in those years) and we might have ourselves a damn good QB.

Last edited: