Training camp profile; Zac Stacy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Running back is becoming a prehistoric position in many backfields around the NFL, but the St. Louis Rams remain a team with an affinity for the ground game. With two draft choices spent on ball carriers in the 2012 NFL Draft, it may seem odd that the franchise would use yet another precious selection on a back this past April. If rookie Zac Stacy can take his opportunity by the horns, though, it could prove to be a very wise decision.

With news coming down that second-year back Isaiah Pead will be suspended for the first game of the regular season, his role with the club will be a bit of a mystery even after training camp. The Rams were counting on Pead to make up one half of the two-headed running attack with Daryl Richardson in the coming season, but this setback could cost him valuable reps and has certainly been costly from an image standpoint.

Any time a player gets suspended it puts his reliability in doubt. After nearly a decade with the epitome of dependability in the backfield in Steven Jackson, there’s no doubt the Rams will be looking to replace that presence any way that they can. Richardson did beat Pead out a year ago for the second string spot behind Jackson so this may just be further affirmation that he is the lead dog going forward.

Still, that won’t be enough for a running game that needs to help take pressure off of quarterback Sam Bradford under center. Stacy is a bruiser at 5’8” 216lbs. with the ability to drive his legs through tackles and pick up the extra yards after contact. His presence will be welcomed after watching S-Jax do similar work in the Edward Jones Dome for the past nine seasons. He may not be the speediest back in the league, but Stacy has enough lateral quickness to evade would-be tacklers in open space and make the most of his opportunities.

In a Rams backfield that will have three components, Stacy is going to play a pivotal role. Both Richardson and Pead are in the same mold at 5’10” 197lbs. so a change of pace back with more power to bludgeon defenses between the tackles will help to soften things up for bigger gains on the edge. There is no way to replace a stalwart like Steven Jackson with just one player so the idea of running back by committee in year one A.S.J. (After Steven Jackson) is a sound strategy.

If I had to guess, Stacy will find his niche as the short yardage back for Jeff Fisher and company in a similar way to how LenDale White did during Fisher’s days with the Tennessee Titans. Neither Richardson nor Pead may be Chris Johnson just yet, but Stacy could be the complementary piece that either one or both of them need to find success.

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/06/02/st-louis-rams-training-camp-profile-zac-stacy/?rfkhvobsEjZpLlHy.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/06/0 ... jZpLlHy.99</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am really excited to see this guy play for us.

I have a good vibe!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Apparently Evan Silva likes Stacy too.

[tweet]341323350393647104[/tweet]
[tweet]341323711200243713[/tweet]

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No mention of Gano. I think he may have a say in this before its all over.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RB battle in camp is going to be interesting. The Rams will probably keep 4 RBs on the roster and may try and hide Cunningham on the PS to start the season.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think Stacy will do better than both Richardson and Pead.

1. Stacy
2. TRich
3. I.Pead

I still hope to see Ganaway pound the rock a few times this year as well.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... /zac-stacy
He's the only player in school history with consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, and has demonstrated legitimate playmaking ability throughout his career when healthy.
2009. Stacy started four games and finished second behind Norman with 478 yards and three scores, but an ankle injury hampered his effectiveness
Averaged only 10 catches per year and wasn't a large part of the passing game. Seemed to be dinged up easily and carries some durability concerns after missing parts of several games due to injury.

Can he hold up injury wise? When injuries are mentioned that often in a player's analysis I get apprehensive.

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think Pead still has the most talent, and that will shine through this year, but I'm not sure between Stacy and Richardson.