Training camp preview: Rams offense to rely on Goff.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Training camp preview: Rams' offense to rely on Rookies.

By Conor Orr
Around The NFL Writer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... geles-rams

Training camp is quickly approaching, which means it's time to preview the most exciting part of the summer. Over the next month, Around The NFL's Conor Orr will break down all 32 teams and give us something to look for in late July.

Today, we take a look at the Los Angeles Rams.

Training camp report dates: Rookies July 27, veterans July 29.

Training camp location: University of California-Irvine, Irvine, CA.

Offseason in a nutshell: The Rams essentially announced to the rest of the NFL that they are one player away from competing in perhaps the best division in football. After lauding their success in the Robert Griffin III draft train robbery, the Rams essentially reversed course, mortgaging the future for the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL Draft. Jared Goff is a work in progress and is going to spend the season making the type of mistakes rookie quarterbacks make. At the moment, the team is unsure if he is their opening day starter. What does all this mean, exactly? The disaster scenario is staring us down: Hard Knocks will be in town to film training camp. An owner interested in rapidly building (or restoring) a fan base wants his underperforming coaching staff to come out of the gates fast and the teams the Rams will have to face a total of six times a year all got better this summer. Did the Rams?

Player to watch: Tight end Tyler Higbee -- Free agency picked away at the Rams' roster a bit, leaving the team to try and solve their remaining holes via the draft-and-pray scenario. Higbee, a troubled product out of Western Kentucky, may end up battling as many off-the-field issues as on-the-field hurdles this August, but the Rams are in need of a reliable intermediate target. Rookie quarterbacks love and depend on tight ends, especially early in their careers, and the Rams just watched Jared Cook head north to Green Bay.

3 Burning Questions:

1. How good is this secondary, and will we know by the end of camp?

The Rams let go of Janoris Jenkins and Rodney McLeod this offseason along with other defensive staples like Chris Long and James Laurinaitis. The secondary is now rolling with Lamarcus Joyner in the slot and (probably) E.J. Gaines and Coty Sensabaugh opposite Trumaine Johnson. They were pick-heavy in mini camp, but will need to figure out a way to make sure they can contend with the likes of Arizona and Seattle -- a team that will be passing much more in 2016. In practice, it will be interesting to see if the coaching staff does anything to negate the lack of a full workout given that they'll be breaking in a rookie quarterback and working against the same Kenny Britt/Tavon Austin tandem once again. There is a sense among those close to the Rams that this is a chance to show off depth and let some of their unheralded stars emerge while they spend the smart money elsewhere.

2. Can they placate -- and consistently use -- all these "dynamic" weapons?

I would love to have Tavon Austin and Pharoh Cooper on my team, but I would only do so if I were positive I could get them the ball on a regular basis. Austin had his best year in 2015, setting career highs in targets, catches yards, rushing attempts, rushing yards and touchdowns but that took three very frustrating seasons and a handful of offensive coordinators. Cooper is being billed to us as a slightly taller and more practical alternative who may end up functioning better in the slot. On paper? Great. But let’s see it in camp first.

3. Will the players show up in shape and healthy?

Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News brought up an interesting point. The Rams were shut out of their Oxnard, Ca. camp at the end of June and won't have another facility until after the beginning of training camp. That means a drop-off spot where people can lift, run, work out, use the cold tub and ice up. Not that these athletes wouldn't have trainers across the country throwing gym memberships their way, but is there something to be said about the lack of a true home base? Players are fickle and depend on routine. One tweaked hamstring could have a significant effect on the regular season.

Way-too-early season prediction: Seeing is believing with Goff. He is talented, smart and has a great arm, but the Bear Raid offense at Cal doesn't seem to translate well. There will be growing pains and, to me, five or six wins makes a lot of sense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree with @OnceARam !! "5 or 6 Win!!:rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh::rolllaugh:BS!! More Like 13-3!!:mrburnsevil:

SierraRam

Recreational User
but the Rams are in need of a reliable intermediate target. Rookie quarterbacks love and depend on tight ends, ..., and the Rams just watched Jared Cook head north to Green Bay.

"Jared Cook" and "reliable intermediate target" killed it for me...

The secondary is now rolling with Lamarcus Joyner in the slot and (probably) E.J. Gaines and Coty Sensabaugh opposite Trumaine Johnson.

Just once, I wish someone would prove they know our team by stating the fact: E.J. Gaines was our best cornerback by a lightyear two years ago. If he returns to form, we'll be fine at CB with Tru, EJ, Joyner, Sensabaugh, Roberson...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Not once have I ever seen anyone go back to the previous year's summer articles and say "Boy was I clueless on that team?? WTF was I thinking?"

Who knows what they are going to do with Goff. It might depend on how successful they are without him if he doesn't start at the beginning of the season.

If they get off to a 4-1 start with Keenum at QB why would they make a change?

If they stay healthy this team can contend for the division title and make the playoffs with Keenum leading them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This stupid f.ck knows that we kicked NFC West ass last year, right? They act as though we struggle with the Cards, Hawks, and Niners...no..we struggle with the rest of the NFL...We have Seattle number, AND THESE STUPID MOTHERF*&^#%$S act as though we have been getting our @sses kicked by them!:wtf:.
They know nothing about this team, or about the depth we have on defense. Just tired of this cr@p.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
After lauding their success in the Robert Griffin III draft train robbery, the Rams essentially reversed course, mortgaging the future for the No. 1 pick in this year's NFL Draft.

There is the "mortgage the future" comment again! Bless his little heart. :shooting::shooting::shooting::seizure: :rockon:

the teams the Rams will have to face a total of six times a year all got better this summer. Did the Rams?

Seahawks, Cards and Niners all got better??? Did the Rams? No. The Rams sat on their frickin' hands!!!

In honor of our friend Dick Vermeil, I will use the "pruning" illustration:
vermeil-wines.jpg

In order to run a successful winery, you have to make good wine. In order to make good wine, you need several things: Favorable land with fertile soil, a perfect climate for growing grapes, great machinery for processing the wine, a knowledgeable team of people to tend the vineyards, harvest the grapes, process and age the wine until the perfect bottling time, market and sell the product. Reap the rewards.

pruning.jpg

One of the keys to a bountiful crop- pruning. I imaging Coach Dick Vermeil has thought quite a bit about pruning over the years. As a Grape grower. As a coach. Pruning is necessary to produce desired fruitfulness.

super Bowl.jpg

And coach Fisher is no different. This LONG branch must be cut. I believe that vine suffers from LAURINITIS, and must be discarded for the good of the crop. Some branches fall to the ground on their own. Those branches, shall we say, are COOKED. :snicker:

pruning.jpg

And so the workers put the #CLAMPS on some vines, diverting the water to fruitful vines that will produce grapes.
As the McCleods form overhead, the Vintner looks to the heavens and smiles. He is being wise. His crops will be good this year. He is Fairly certain of that.

pruning burning.jpg

True, some of the branches that are cut, and thrown into the fire, still seem healthy. And there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. :fuelfire:

Many other vintners may count themselves as Saints, or even Patriots for saving those branches. But the Wise Vintner knows better. Others may think they are Giants among men, for letting the bad vines stay. Some of the branches may indeed produce fruit. Certain vintners may pay too steep a price to keep those vines, envisioning themselves soaring like Eagles, when the Wise Vintner knows that fruit would cause the crop, as a whole, to suffer.

grapes.jpg

We have a good crop being produced in Los Angeles, this year, my Ram friends. Fall brings the harvest.

Vermeil wine cellar.jpg

And the wine will taste so good in the Winter.

Rookie quarterbacks love and depend on tight ends, especially early in their careers, and the Rams just watched Jared Cook head north to Green Bay.

:LOL: snip, snip.

five or six wins makes a lot of sense.

...over last year's total.(y) :rockon:

:cheers:

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
I could see a five or six win season. I don't want to believe it, but I could see that. QB may have been our biggest need, but it wasn't our only problem. Still lacking playmakers on offense and depth at linebacker, a secondary made up of mostly unproven players. A difficult schedule, the league's toughest division, a tumultuous offseason.

Like any other season, potholes lie ahead and the Rams haven't shown they can navigate around them.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I could see a five or six win season. I don't want to believe it, but I could see that. QB may have been our biggest need, but it wasn't our only problem. Still lacking playmakers on offense and depth at linebacker, a secondary made up of mostly unproven players. A difficult schedule, the league's toughest division, a tumultuous offseason.

Like any other season, potholes lie ahead and the Rams haven't shown they can navigate around them.

What are you talking about? We won more games than that last year. We are light years ahead of last year's roster.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I swear sometimes it seems as though the fine members of ROD are the only ones that watch this team......

52594630.jpg

67505151.jpg

If any of the draftee or incumbent WRs or TEs can do what Cook couldn't do (catch the fucking ball on 3rd down), we should do well. They simply HAVE to convert more on third down. Higbeast anyone??

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is the "mortgage the future" comment again! Bless his little heart. :shooting::shooting::shooting::seizure: :rockon:

Seahawks, Cards and Niners all got better??? Did the Rams? No. The Rams sat on their frickin' hands!!!

In honor of our friend Dick Vermeil, I will use the "pruning" illustration:
View attachment 14688

In order to run a successful winery, you have to make good wine. In order to make good wine, you need several things: Favorable land with fertile soil, a perfect climate for growing grapes, great machinery for processing the wine, a knowledgeable team of people to tend the vineyards, harvest the grapes, process and age the wine until the perfect bottling time, market and sell the product. Reap the rewards.

View attachment 14687

One of the keys to a bountiful crop- pruning. I imaging Coach Dick Vermeil has thought quite a bit about pruning over the years. As a Grape grower. As a coach. Pruning is necessary to produce desired fruitfulness.

View attachment 14692

And coach Fisher is no different. This LONG branch must be cut. I believe that vine suffers from LAURINITIS, and must be discarded for the good of the crop. Some branches fall to the ground on their own. Those branches, shall we say, are COOKED. :snicker:

View attachment 14691

And so the workers put the #CLAMPS on some vines, diverting the water to fruitful vines that will produce grapes.
As the McCleods form overhead, the Vintner looks to the heavens and smiles. He is being wise. His crops will be good this year. He is Fairly certain of that.

View attachment 14690

True, some of the branches that are cut, and thrown into the fire, still seem healthy. And there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. :fuelfire:

Many other vintners may count themselves as Saints, or even Patriots for saving those branches. But the Wise Vintner knows better. Others may think they are Giants among men, for letting the bad vines stay. Some of the branches may indeed produce fruit. Certain vintners may pay too steep a price to keep those vines, envisioning themselves soaring like Eagles, when the Wise Vintner knows that fruit would cause the crop, as a whole, to suffer.

View attachment 14686

We have a good crop being produced in Los Angeles, this year, my Ram friends. Fall brings the harvest.

View attachment 14689

And the wine will taste so good in the Winter.

:LOL: snip, snip.

...over last year's total.(y) :rockon:

:cheers:

BRAVO!!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think injuries are the only thing that could lead to a 5 or 6 win season. Sure the schedule is tough but the Rams have had tough schedules in recent years and got more than that many wins without a competent QB. The move was a concern for me also but it seems that Fisher's experience there has helped make less impactful than it could have been. The secondary is not made up of mostly inexperienced players. Tru, Sensabaugh, Roberson, Joyner, EJ have all logged lots of time at corner. Mo and Davis have also subbed often at safety last year. Plus these players have been learning under Williams for the last three years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They were pick-heavy in mini-camp
Good enough for me....I'm not only good with EJ & Tru...I'm really happy about Roberson & Sensabaugh....the only worry I really have is the health factor...and is Joyner really that good in coverage? Can he get his hands on some balls?
And I have no worries about the safeties...none whatsoever.

If they get off to a 4-1 start with Keenum at QB why would they make a change?
Because Goff woulda been 5-0....

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think he meant 5 or 6 division wins and 5 or 6 non division games. Which would be close to my 12-4 regular season record. Followed by a 3-0 playoff record.