Training camp: Los Angeles, day 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Is it me or did the name Randy Gregory stand out quite a bit the last two days as a guy that was looking for trouble?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Ok guys this is the video we've been wanting to see, Dez Bryant getting punch in the face!

View: https://twitter.com/joetrahan/status/633812720295350272

Turns out it was Claiborne, and not Laskey.

https://twitter.com/CiRockafella

g9SBDceq_400x400.jpg
That makes sense Laskey is a little more... Caucasian.

Sounds like a guy that would... hit his own mother.

RamBill

Legend
Brawl brings early end to Rams-Cowboys practice
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_417b3cd3-4d83-5193-b06a-225daf433843.html

OXNARD, CALIF. • The Rams’ starting defense was backed up near the goal line during a red zone drill against the Dallas starting offense Tuesday when linebacker James Laurinaitis started calling out the defensive signals.

Suddenly, Laurinaitis noticed he was the only member of the Rams’ front seven still on the field. In fact, Laurinaitis and cornerback Janoris Jenkins were the only Rams defenders there.

“They were about to snap the ball, and I was the only guy over there,” Laurinaitis said. “That’s why I kept kicking the ball — keep taking the penalty over and over until I get my guys back. That was a first.”

Where did everybody else go?

Over to the adjacent field at the Cowboys’ practice field where a mega-brawl was breaking out between members of the Rams’ offense and the Dallas defense.

So was the defense running to break up the brawl, or join in?

“There’s a fine line between breaking things up and getting in on it,” defensive end Chris Long said. “So, you know ...”

Call it a little bit of both. Before all was said and done, there were about four or five spinoff brawls. Much, but not all, of the scuffling took place by the fence and bleachers filled with “Los Angeles” Rams fans.

Including Cowboys backers, there were 5,843 fans in attendance Tuesday, down 2,000 from Monday.

(So perhaps interest in the LA Rams here already is waning.)

Things simmered down just long enough for the Cowboys to finish the final 20 minutes of practice by themselves, working on the 2-minute drill, on one field. Meanwhile, the Rams sat on turf on the other field, cooling off.

The Rams assembled in a team huddle for a while, and then were hustled onto their team busses. Their team hotel here is about 25 minutes away from the Cowboys’ training camp site. The Rams were scheduled to practice on their own here Wednesday (the Cowboys have a day off).

But saying his team was tired, coach Jeff Fisher canceled Wednesday’s practice. The Rams will have a walk-through Wednesday here, visit troops at the Point Mugua Naval Air Station, and then fly back to St. Louis.

“Well, we got through a day and three-quarters and we had really good work,” Fisher said afterwards. “And then unfortunately, things got out of hand and we shut it down. It’s unfortunate, there’s no excuse for it. We can’t blame it on anybody, it just happened. One thing led to another and it happened.

“Fortunately nobody got hurt. ... There’s no place for that in our game. There’s no place for that from a standpoint of being role models in this game and representing this game for kids. That’s not how this game goes. So we’re sorry about that.”

If there was going to be a brawl it figured to be on the other field where the Rams’ defense worked against the Dallas offense on Monday and Tuesday. That’s where Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson engaged in almost non-stop trash-talking for two days with the Dallas offense.

During a one-on-one red zone drill, Johnson’s jaw-jacking intensified with Cowboys receivers and even quarterback Tony Romo. It reached the point at which Cowboys star Dez Bryant, who sat out these practices because of a hamstring injury, lined up over Johnson ready to run a pass pattern.

Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, a former Rams head coach, had to step in to get Bryant off the line of scrimmage.

Instead, the brawling took place maybe half an hour later on the other field. It looked as if the first scrum started when first Randy Gregory and then Jeff Heath of the Cowboys’ defense took down Rams running back Tre Mason — and took him down hard.

Tempers flared. And just when it looked like things had calmed down from that scuffle, Rams offensive tackle Greg Robinson and Mason went after Gregory. That led to brawl No. 2. And the players just kept brawling. Before it was over, Jared Cook and Eugene Sims took blindside shots at Dallas players.

Rams first-round draft pick Todd Gurley, who remains limited to individual drills as he finishes off his rehab from knee surgery, was right in the middle of the fracas, attempting to pull down a Dallas player. Rookie corner Imoan Claiborne punched Bryant with a right jab to the face.

Even Afghanistan war hero Daniel Rodriguez of the Rams was seen tossing the helmet of Cowboys defensive back J.J. Wilcox into the stands.

“We didn’t come here to do that,” Long said. “They’re very competitive; we’re very competitive. There’s a lot riding on everything for all of us. And when you’re out here for two days, I’m not gonna say it’s inevitable, but things happen.”

Things certainly “happened” Tuesday.

RAM-BLINGS

Not practicing for the Rams Tuesday were offensive linemen Rodger Saffold and Cody Wichmann; linebacker Korey Toomer; cornerback Brandon McGee; defensive tackle Doug Worthington; wide receiver Isiah Ferguson, and of course, linebacker Daren Bates and cornerback E.J. Gaines.• Rams staff members will distribute lunches to senior citizens at the Clyde C. Jordan Center in East St. Louis on Wednesday, Friday, and Aug. 26.• Wearing a cast on his left hand, tight end Brad Smelley has returned to practice.

• Craig and Laura Ebel of Victorville, Calif., celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary Monday by watching the Rams practice with the Cowboys in Oxnard.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe my post best deserves to go in this one (http://ramsondemand.com/threads/jl-whipping-boy.39048/), but this is a fantastic example why JL55 is our MLB and captain. When everyone else bails, he stays and finishes the drill alone. If it's not for the team, he's at least trying to better himself. We need more players like Laurinaitis on this team and less young thug-wannabe assholes.

Yeah, but at the same time, one could argue that he should have gone over with the rest of his teammates and at least tried to break up the fight. All for one and one for all might be a better action in team dynamics.

And I don't know if he was calling his his defensive mates to stay on the field with him, but if so, they sure didn't listen.

Last edited:

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Clearly, the team didn't get better on day 2 of the joint practices. I wonder if the players got anything positive on the field from this business trip.

Have to disagree with you on that. They got in almost 2 hours of good practice today. Overall, it was 1.75 good days of practice.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was wondering why cook ran in from so far away to get a shot on gregory. but then i saw the video from another angle and gregory had taken down battle. so now i know.

and how good was it to see after that clown slammed tre down onto the ground at least 10 rams players came over the top of him.

fancents86

Starter
As bad as this may look for the Rams, considering it happened against the cowgirls I'm sure a lot of people deep down are thanking us.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I am embarrassed to be a Rams fan if you watch the number of cheap shots thrown by Ram players in that video.
Its one thing to stand up for a teammate or to have someone's back....but that does NOT extend to hitting a guy IN the back when they are not looking.

Bunch of punk ass bitches who should be cut or fined the maximum amount allowed, most disappointing?
Looks like a tie for me - Stedman Bailey (one of the cheap shots was him) and Todd Gurley (STAY OUT OF SCRUMS WHILE STILL REHABBING YOUR KNEE!!!)
Stop overacting, it's a fight. Fights happen in the NFL

tahoe

Pro Bowler
If this was a huge fight between just rams then id be concerned but it was a fight with another team with teammates having teammates backs. That is the kind of fight that can galvanize a team together, just look at the tweets coming from rams players saying how they love their team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't really have hope that Tavon will live up to his draft status at this point but boy, that would be great if he could become what these reports hint at. It would dramatically change the fate of this team.
Tavon is a CLASS act & true baller.
He is going to make plays.The Rams have a solid WR'core(group).

Everytime I've seen him play he scores a TD.He has had so many called back in games.--Maybe he was not worth his draft # @8 though. Stedman was a steal,& Givens is a game breaker as well.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
V__1CF3.jpg
from 65 and from a guy that was there good from at least 70. This is at sea level nit mile high too.