Training camp: Los Angeles, day 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
@Rynie Calling all Rynies, calling all Rynies... Come in please.
So, a bunch of cheap shots by the rams. Cowards. Gregory gets tackled from behind, and Dez gets sucker - punched. Jeff Fisher teams have always been like that. Y'all remember when Andre Johnson beat up Cortland Finnegan? That shit was funny.

What's sad is I've seen a national media article say Dez started the fight. He was talking to Jerry at the time, and only ran over to help his teammates. Fuck facts. We don't need thise, I just want Internet traffic! Whoever started the Dez tape rumor would have been fired 20 years ago for just making up lies, and reporting it.

Tl;dr. Rams cheap shot. Dez blamed. I'm cool.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
So, a bunch of cheap shots by the rams. Cowards. Gregory gets tackled from behind, and Dez gets sucker - punched. Jeff Fisher teams have always been like that. Y'all remember when Andre Johnson beat up Cortland Finnegan? That crap was funny.

What's sad is I've seen a national media article say Dez started the fight. He was talking to Jerry at the time, and only ran over to help his teammates. freak facts. We don't need thise, I just want Internet traffic! Whoever started the Dez tape rumor would have been fired 20 years ago for just making up lies, and reporting it.

I agree, Dez didn't start anything.

He's just really conscious of head gear and physical altercations.

ron-swanson.gif

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/08/19/broaddus-12-thoughts-tuesdays-practice-fights

Broaddus: 12 Thoughts On Tuesday's Practice, Before The Fights

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:14 PM CDT
broaddus-twitter-small.jpg

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

OXNARD, Calif. – Before the fights began, there was already plenty of good film of Tuesday’s Cowboys-Rams practice.

The fighting is pretty sufficiently covered on other parts of our website – not to mention elsewhere. So I figured I’d take a look at the tape and see what all the Cowboys gained out of their second joint practice, before the brawling.

Here are my notes:

1. I like what I saw from Darren McFadden in his first extensive work during the various team periods in which he took snaps. He looked decisive and committed to what he was handed from this Rams defense in the running game. He was in position to execute the check downs when needed and when asked to step up for pass protection, he was up to the task.

2. La'el Collins was once again filling in for Ronald Leary at left guard, and he appeared to have a 50-50 type of a practice. It's no easy task to have to deal with Aaron Donald and the variety of problems that he can cause, but overall it was a great experience for the rookie. Donald puts so much pressure on your technique that if you are the slightest bit off, he is going to take advantage -- and this is where I feel like Collins wasn't at his best. His biggest struggles were with his balance and power, which were two areas where he had been very good.

3. In the practice on Monday, the Rams were able to hit a vertical play down the field to Tavon Austin that resulted in a touchdown. During that same period on Tuesday, they went back to the same call but this time the Cowboys defense was ready for it. With Joel Ross in coverage and Jeff Heath playing over the top, Austin didn't get the separation and with both in position when the ball arrived, Ross was able to knock it out of Austin's hands. Also back in the pocket, Greg Hardy had beaten guard Demetrius Rhaney on his outside shoulder and was cleanly in position to sack Nick Foles before he let go of the ball.

4. Randy Gregory continues to turn heads with his ability. No matter who he works with on these twist stunts, he is going to find a way to get home on the rush. Gregory was paired with Greg Hardy on the first go-round in one-on-on and was successful coming down inside. Then later, with Jeremy Mincey, he beat Isaiah Battle with ease.

5. In the offseason I was talking to the defensive coaches about J.J. Wilcox and his knack for positioning himself at times to grab interceptions. During the ball movement period, Wilcox had managed to once again be in the right place at the right time in defending tight end Lance Kendricks. The route took place right in the middle of the field with Wilcox coming off the hash. He was able to read the play all the way and reacted nicely once the ball was thrown. Though Wilcox wasn't able to finish the play, it was encouraging to once again see him in a position to defend a play.

6. No matter the situation, Jason Witten is always going to be a difficult cover for any defensive scheme to have to deal with. The Rams tried to cover him with both linebackers and safeties during the practice, with the results being the same -- up the field receptions. Witten is so keen in where he needs to be to find space. Whether it's running a curl or working his route all the way across the field, he is going to make himself available for the ball.

7. One of the best catches of the day was Terrance Williams’ grab over the top of Lamarcus Joyner during the one-on-one drills down in the red zone. With Joyner between himself and the ball, Williams manages to reach back and extend his hands over the top of Joyner, then pull the ball off the top of his helmet without Joyner even adjusting on the play.

8. It appears that all the offseason work for Tyler Patmon has been paying off. Patmon turned in a really nice effort during the practice on Tuesday, with the highlight of his day an interception during the red zone period. The Rams tried to exchange their receivers off the snap by crossing them to beat the man coverage, but Morris Claiborne and Patmon executed their technique perfectly to stay with their men. Patmon carried Steadman Bailey to the corner and when the ball went up, he was right there to make the interception to kill the drive.

9. Good to see Lance Dunbar getting the opportunity to carry the ball during these practices -- but bad that he allowed Maurice Alexander to punch the ball out of his hands while he was doing it. Dunbar did a nice job of finding space on the play, but the result was not what he or this coaching staff wanted it to be.

10. If Lucky Whitehead is going to continue to get shots with this first offense and build that trust with Tony Romo, he is going to need to be in the right spot. During the ball movement period of practice, Whitehead came inside on a crossing route with a safety on the other side of the field. It appeared that Whitehead lost his concentration and instead of continuing his route -- which Romo thought he was going to do -- he stopped. Romo threw the ball to the spot where he believed Whitehead was going to finish, but instead the result was an incomplete pass.

11. There were some snaps during the practice where the Rams had success running the ball against this Cowboys front when it went on the slant, and the coordination with the linebackers appeared to be off. The holes inside were much larger than what these defensive coaches would have liked to seen. This is an area I am sure that they will be able to clean up off the tape and in their practices.

12. If teams around the league are going to continue to hold these joint practices and have fight here is my suggestion to stopping them: don't practice as long. Pick two or three drills you want to feature each day and work on those. Have a team period and then a red zone one, then call it a day. The next day, pick two other drills. The longer the teams work together, the bigger problems you have. Players get tired and frustrated with each other and this is where the problems arise. Limit the amount of time along with the contact and the results will be better.

RamBill

Legend
Rams legends Rosey Grier, Eric Dickerson meet with current line, backs
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...r-eric-dickerson-meet-with-current-line-backs

Spending a couple of days in the Los Angeles area not only created the chance for fans left from the team's days on the west coast to catch up with their favorite franchise, but it also offered former players, including some who hold a strong place in St. Louis Rams' lore the chance to reconnect with the team that once employed them.

Since coach Jeff Fisher's arrival, the Rams have made strides in connecting their past to their present. Kyle Eversgerd, the team's director of external football affairs, has worked diligently to find opportunities to bring former Los Angeles Rams back into the fold and provide opportunities for the current players to meet and talk with former players.

With this year's Rams practicing with the Dallas Cowboys in Oxnard, California, over the past two days, the defensive linemen and running backs each spent time with a special guest. Eric Dickerson visited with the running backs and Rosey Grier chatted with the defensive linemen.

Dickerson, who has recently been outspoken about the team returning to Los Angeles, visited with the team during Tuesday's walk-through and even took a handoff during the session.

Grier, 83, is the final living member of that quartet, maintaining his home in the Los Angeles area. He arrived at practice and spent a few minutes talking to the group many consider to be the most talented in the NFL. Of course, no matter how much talent the current line has, it would have to go a long way to reach the level of Grier and his three running mates in the "Fearsome Foursome."

Rams defensive end Chris Long, who is the team's longest-tenured player entering his eighth year with the team, has had the chance to meet many franchise greats in his time in St. Louis but said it never gets old.

"Yeah, I've met him before," Long said. "You know, he just had a really good message for us. You know, cherish the time. He really enjoyed his time with the Fearsome Foursome, and him being the last one left is pretty special to get to meet a guy like that who's a big part of our history."

RamBill

Legend
The Cowboys and St. Louis Rams cut short the second of two joint practices at training camp Tuesday after several fights broke out, including one where Dallas receiver Dez Bryant was punched in the face. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith talk about it.

Watch Smith/Bayless Talk Camp Fights

RamzFanz

Damnit
Dez gets sucker - punched.

Ahhh, I don't agree. He ran from the other field to get in the brawl and he was jawing his mouth at the Rams AGAIN.

Remember the training camp when he pulled off his own teammate's helmet and punched the guy? Karma. It looks like his own teammate is laughing at him in that video.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If this was a huge fight between just rams then id be concerned but it was a fight with another team with teammates having teammates backs. That is the kind of fight that can galvanize a team together, just look at the tweets coming from rams players saying how they love their team.
They've been fighting and loving each other for three years... I'd prefer they win now. ;)(y)

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
The Cowboys and St. Louis Rams cut short the second of two joint practices at training camp Tuesday after several fights broke out, including one where Dallas receiver Dez Bryant was punched in the face. Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith talk about it.

Watch Smith/Bayless Talk Camp Fights
Why is everyone overreacting? We always see these brawls in games. It's the NFL. They're in pads. Relax.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
So, a bunch of cheap shots by the rams. Cowards. Gregory gets tackled from behind, and Dez gets sucker - punched. Jeff Fisher teams have always been like that. Y'all remember when Andre Johnson beat up Cortland Finnegan? That crap was funny.

What's sad is I've seen a national media article say Dez started the fight. He was talking to Jerry at the time, and only ran over to help his teammates. freak facts. We don't need thise, I just want Internet traffic! Whoever started the Dez tape rumor would have been fired 20 years ago for just making up lies, and reporting it.

The reoccurring theme from the Dallas homers' perspective is that the Rams were the real "bad guys". Also "Gregory and Bryant are just victims" and "their stellar high character profiles are the standard we should all aspire to reach".

From this Rams fans' skewed perspective Dallas has a bunch thugs taking cheap shots at our players. So it somewhat evens out.

The reality is that there is probably blame to go around on both sides.

I like seeing other fans perspectives even if I do not usually agree with them so please keep posting here Rynie. I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are not trolling when you visit. I respect your right to your perspective and I respect any true fan that comes the defense of their own team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The funny thing is the Cowboy fans I know around here in Phoenix, while overall they support the Cowboys in the brawl, all chortled when they heard that Dez got clocked.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Seriously? As another poster mentioned in this thread, your a pretty reasonable poster.
But even Peter King remarked on the Dan Patrick show that Bryant was yapping for two days,
(and btw, the consensus is the Rams did not start it). Isn't this the same guy punched his teammate a few weeks ago? The innocent Mr. Bryant. :palm:
Defending him is homerism at its finest. You're a true fan - good on ya'.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Seriously? As another poster mentioned in this thread, your a pretty reasonable poster.
But even Peter King remarked on the Dan Patrick show that Bryant was yapping for two days,
(and btw, the consensus is the Rams did not start it). Isn't this the same guy punched his teammate a few weeks ago? The innocent Mr. Bryant. :palm:
Defending him is homerism at its finest. You're a true fan - good on ya'.
Wow, that's the first time I've ever been called a homer. All I said was Dez didn't START this fight. He. Didnt. Start. The fight. Do I need to make it clearer? I never once said anything about any other confrontations involving Dez, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up. And yapping? You really think Dez is the only person that talks shit while playing football? C'mon son, you're smarter than that.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Never said he started the fight. Play the semantics game all you want.
"So, a bunch of cheap shots by the Rams. Cowards." You set the tone of your post.
You're a biased homer, period. Respond all you want, I'm done.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
How bout dem cowgirls ?

Their mouths wrote a check that their asses couldn't cover. :ROFLMAO:

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Wow, that's the first time I've ever been called a homer. All I said was Dez didn't START this fight. He. Didnt. Start. The fight. Do I need to make it clearer? I never once said anything about any other confrontations involving Dez, so I'm not even sure why you brought that up. And yapping? You really think Dez is the only person that talks crap while playing football? C'mon son, you're smarter than that.
He didn't start it but he went to go put his 2 cents in and sometimes that 2 cents is enough to get your ass beat... He should know that since he's from 'the hood'.