Training Camp (FRI Aug-11)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2D01F431-30EB-4E89-89D2-CC06D3C75337_zpsayd77it8.jpg

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Quick-Hits-From-Day-11/3ecd16fc-eff0-4377-9736-8ef1c60ed262

Training Camp Report: Quick Hits From Day 11

After a very spirited practice with the Chargers on Wednesday, the Rams were back on field at UC Irvine for Day 11 of their 2017 training camp. With just two practices left until the team’s preseason opener against the Cowboys, this afternoon’s session was noticeably lighter and shorter in nature.

Here’s what you need to know from Day 11:

QUICK HITS FROM THE FIELD

- Players entered the field today in jerseys, shorts, and helmets with no pads. They spent the majority of the first half of practice walking through various plays, allowing the team to focus on the mental side of the game after yesterday’s very physical session.

- Wide receiver Josh Reynolds was back participating in practice today after missing the last few sessions with a hamstring issue. Wideout Tavon Austin, linebacker Samson Ebukam and offensive tackle Andrew Donnal remained sidelined this afternoon and will likely miss the preseason opener on Saturday.

- Head Coach Sean McVay was also able to get in on the fun playing defensive back to his wide receivers, staying with them as they ran from midfield all the way to the end zone.

- Quarterback Jared Goff looked sharp throughout today’s non-contact practice. He completed a number of passes to tight end Tyler Higbee who is quickly becoming one of Goff’s most reliable targets. Goff also made numerous completions to wideouts Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods throughout the various drills.

- Cornerback E.J. Gaines also had a big play in this afternoon’s practice staying with Kupp on a route down the sidelines and batting the ball out of the receiver’s hands.

- In yesterday’s joint practice with the Chargers many of the plays called allowed for Goff to experiment with the long ball downfield. Today the majority of his routes were immediate to mid range shots with a lot of emphasis on the run game. However, early on in the day Goff did get to stretch his arm practicing what looked like a few “hail mary” passes into the end zone

- Safety LaMarcus Joyner had a few impressive pass breakups during the 11-on-11 drills in man coverage. He has looked settled and confident in his new position throughout camp after transitioning from the slot corner role to a free safety.

- Earlier today the Rams added a new placekicker to their active roster signing former Browns’ player Travis Coons. The Rams roster now stands at the league maximum of 90 players.

- Rams’ owner Stan Kroenke was also on the sidelines at today’s practice to watch his team gear up for the preseason opener.

STANDING OUT

After providing the play of the day with his punt return for a touchdown yesterday, wide receiver Shakeir Ryan continued to stand out in Thursday’s practice.

Today the wideout was flying all over the field and recorded another memorable catch, diving to grab a ball from quarterback Sean Mannion. Though this is his first training camp in the NFL, he has been an exciting player to watch throughout camp.

PRESS POINTS

After practice McVay spoke to the media about his first upcoming game as a head coach. Catch up on his most interesting points from Day 11 and check out his full interview here:

SEAN McVAY:

On how anxious he is to get on the field and experience his first preseason game as Head Coach: “I’m excited. I’m excited to watch these guys compete. I think they’ve done a good job throughout the course of training camp of putting themselves in a position to have success, and that’s what it’s about is allowing these guys to go play with a quieted mind and just play to the best of their ability. I think it offers a great opportunity for us to play in front of our home fans for the first time this season. I know as a coaching staff and our players, we’re excited about it.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
- Safety LaMarcus Joyner had a few impressive pass breakups during the 11-on-11 drills in man coverage. He has looked settled and confident in his new position throughout camp after transitioning from the slot corner role to a free safety.

Love it!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
D@mn, I'm nervous about how Goff will do. There should only be base defenses that he will see, so there is no reason why he shouldn't look good in the series he is in...Our whole season is in his hands, so he has to come through...
"We have to score points..We have to!" ~Dick Vermeil & Den the Coach:neener:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My biggest concern after seeing them in TC is TE's and RB's picking up blitz' and keeping Goff clean .Only ones who do a consistent job are Gurley and Harkey.
They cut Harkey and Goff is in trouble. None of the other TE's are worth a damn in blitz pickup and that includes Sam Rogers.

Teams blitzing Goff will be the Rams downfall and main reason for another losing season if things don't improve after two weeks in TC, because right now they absolutely SUCK at picking it up and keeping Goff clean. Harkey is the best they have on the team. The OL still leaks like a sieve. Chargers showed that

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wide receiver Josh Reynolds was back participating in practice today after missing the last few sessions with a hamstring issue. Wideout Tavon Austin, linebacker Samson Ebukam and offensive tackle Andrew Donnal remained sidelined this afternoon and will likely miss the preseason opener on Saturday.
I think Samson & Donnal need the work....damn shame they couldn't stay healthy. I still don't know what the hell is up with Donnal and injuries...

After providing the play of the day with his punt return for a touchdown yesterday, wide receiver Shakeir Ryan continued to stand out in Thursday’s practice.
It seems this guy is gonna be a tough cut....especially he returns one on Saturday....Hopefully we can stash him on the PS....or that invisible IR....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Samson & Donnal need the work....damn shame they couldn't stay healthy. I still don't know what the hell is up with Donnal and injuries...

It seems this guy is gonna be a tough cut....especially he returns one on Saturday....Hopefully we can stash him on the PS....or that invisible IR....
Whenever I have seen Donnal in games, which wasn't often last year, I have not impressed by him. He has always looked weaker than the other Olinemen, might just be me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I found a few nice photos from day 11 practice I thought you'd like to see!!

_Day11_.jpg
I just love kids who love Football!!

_Day11_Whitworth.jpg

I hope Whitworth looked up and gave this Kid an Autograph!
_Day11_Sullivan Brockers.jpg

Sullivan and Brockers Mugging-it-up!
_Day11_Tree and Lil Tree.jpg

" Big Tree and Lil Tree!"
_Day11_what the heck.jpg

What the Heck is going on here!?! IDK!!

_Day11_where is the protection.jpg
Where's the PROTECTION!? this won't cut-it in a game!

_Day11_Hatfield and Tru.jpg

Hatfield and Tru both going for the same Ball, IDK who Won!!
_Day11_Catching Higbee.jpg
Is everyone trying to catch-up to Higbee or what!?!

_Day11_Caption this.jpg

Caption this!!!!!
_Day11_guess who.jpg

Is Tree trying to Kiss-Up to Stan!?!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have not impressed by him. He has always looked weaker than the other Olinemen, might just be me.
He was considereably weaker than most Pro O-Linemen...I think he's gotten bigger....he definitely was stronger last year than year one...but he has that good technique that most from Iowa carry to the pros...Hence why I'd like to see him in a game...Much like Havenstein last year, even good technique can't replace health, strong base, and just that dog you need in the line to be effective.

Sullivan and Brockers Mugging-it-up!
Jamon, Dave...you was sipping a lil something this morning?;):cheers:.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think that's Jamon Brown.
I read that jersey number as #90 not #68, But now that I take a closer look, I think your Right! Especially considering they are wearing the same color Jersey's!! OOPS!:oops: Dave screwed up again!!:redcard:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was considereably weaker than most Pro O-Linemen...I think he's gotten bigger....he definitely was stronger last year than year one...but he has that good technique that most from Iowa carry to the pros...Hence why I'd like to see him in a game...Much like Havenstein last year, even good technique can't replace health, strong base, and just that dog you need in the line to be effective.

Jamon, Dave...you was sipping a lil something this morning?;):cheers:.
OK! OK! ... Actually I just woke-up and started working on the piece, So Excuuuuuse-me! Whip-me, Beat-me, make me write Bad Checks!! Sooorrry!:baghead:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I thought this place would be blowing up about the trade today...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Teams blitzing Goff will be the Rams downfall and main reason for another losing season if things don't improve after two weeks in TC, because right now they absolutely SUCK at picking it up and keeping Goff clean. Harkey is the best they have on the team. The OL still leaks like a sieve. Chargers showed that

Teams are going to have to be careful with blitzes now that we have Sammy

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wonder if Watkins will make it to practice today. Can't wait to find out, this makes today's walk through a bit more interesting.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is Tree trying to Kiss-Up to Stan!?!

Nah Tree's the TEAM LEADER on the defense who is there in camp taking care of business vice what you see with AD. Rams will get him locked up either soon or after this season and rightly so, because he's going to have a Pro Bowl year IMO.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
There's a 14 page thread already going plus a couple others discussing the impact on the WR group :)
Yeah, I see that now. When I first checked in, it wasn't visible to me when I scrolled through threads. After I posted and checked a couple other threads, I saw it. I'm thinking wtf?? And yes, I had my glasses on!

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Training camp/preseason begins in earnest for me tomorrow as, for the next three Saturdays, I will be in attendance for the games! (y):yay::football: