Training Camp Battles: NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Author: Khaled Elsayed
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... -nfc-west/

St Louis Rams

Position: Outside Linebacker

The Players: Jo-Lonn Dunbarr. Mario Haggan and Rocky McIntosh

The Battle: Two from three, and none without their question marks. McIntosh has been a constant disappointment, failing to live up to his draft slot and struggling in every scheme the Redskins have run. He’s just not good enough at diagnosing plays, nor does he do a good job of shedding blocks. At this stage you know what you’re going to get from the former second-round pick, and you know it’s going to underwhelm.

The same can’t be said of Dunbar. The former undrafted free agent had looked good in flashes until a disastrous 2011 saw him earn a quite incredible -25.5 grade. He wasn’t helped by missing 13 tackles, but he was also hampered by a scheme that left linebackers vulnerable and switched his position around. He demonstrates talent, but if he practices like he played last year then it’s hard to see him getting on the field.

The last contender isn’t getting any younger, but what he lacks in youth he makes up for in consistency. Haggan isn’t cut out to be an every-down player, but he does certain things very well: namely, run defense. In coverage he’s a liability, but regardless of how the Broncos used him he was always productive when teams tried running on them. He isn’t the long-term solution, and should be off the field in nickel, but at least you know what you will get from him.

The Verdict: The idea of putting McIntosh on the field should scare Rams fans. He’s failed under different defensive coordinators and different schemes while others around have flourished. With that said, you have to ask yourself if Dunbar can play the weakside, although there’s some upside that McIntosh doesn’t possess. A Dunbarr/Haggan partnership isn’t going to wow many, but it’s making the best of a bad situation.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So what are the odds OLB is a position we address with one of our first rounders next year?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
So what are the odds OLB is a position we address with one of our first rounders next year?
Pretty low. I'm not aware of any top names coming out next year, but then again, it's too early to tell. It's also not a real high priority in this defense for some reason. Stout D-line, press corners, cerebral MLB, thumper safety. Everyone else, apparently, is just support.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I feel that we need to get at least someone somewhat early (in the first 4 rounds anyway) that we can develop into a solid guy that we can count on for the next 5 or so years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I feel that we need to get at least someone somewhat early (in the first 4 rounds anyway) that we can develop into a solid guy that we can count on for the next 5 or so years.
I think we should play a 6-1-4. 6 D-linemen, 1 MLB, 4 defensive backs.

BOOM.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
bluecoconuts said:

Sammy Watkins with the 32 overall pick after we win the SB.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
I think we should play a 6-1-4. 6 D-linemen, 1 MLB, 4 defensive backs.

BOOM.
Quick quick BOOM! JL is fully capable..so why not someone ask Demoff to pass it on to Fish'.