Training Camp: 10 Observations Through "Phase One" (101ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

On Saturday, the St. Louis Rams’ second annual #RamsFanFest attracted app[roximately 15,000 spectators to the Edward Jones Dome and, according to head coach Jeff Fisher, served to wrap up the first phase of training camp.

“This actually, for us … kind of culminates one phase of camp because there’ll be a day off on Sunday and then three days later we’re going to travel (to Cleveland for the preseason opener),” Fisher said.

With the first phase of camp completed, here are my top 10 observations thus far:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/07/rams-training-camp-update-10-observations-from-phase-one/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/07/ram ... phase-one/</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Training Camp: 10 Observations Through "Phase One" (101E

Good article Shane.

Do you get to talk to Hayes at all? I don't know if I've seen anyone do a piece on him and his desire to stay with the Rams regardless of other contract offers - simply because he enjoyed going to work here. That was pretty cool of him, and VERY fortunate for the Rams. His being in the rotation, and his ability to slide inside, makes the front 4 that more formidable.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Good stuff Shane.

I've gotta say that If Austin can't beat out Clemens for #2 we're in bad shape at backup QB. I know we haven't played any games yet but I've been really disappointed by Austin's performance so far in TC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

albefree69 said:
Good stuff Shane.

I've gotta say that If Austin can't beat out Clemens for #2 we're in bad shape at backup QB. I know we haven't played any games yet but I've been really disappointed by Austin's performance so far in TC.
Yeah, I had higher hopes for him too.

I'm gonna go ahead and decree that nothing happens to Bradford either. So, we're good.
(Decreed)

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

X taking charge:
I'm gonna go ahead and decree that nothing happens to Bradford either. So, we're good.
(Decreed)

Thank god! I was hoping you'd step in.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

X said:
Good article Shane.

Do you get to talk to Hayes at all? I don't know if I've seen anyone do a piece on him and his desire to stay with the Rams regardless of other contract offers - simply because he enjoyed going to work here. That was pretty cool of him, and VERY fortunate for the Rams. His being in the rotation, and his ability to slide inside, makes the front 4 that more formidable.

Almost all players (other than the QB) are available at request daily, but usually only get to talk to a couple.

Next chance I get, I will talk to him.

I agree with you on all points, X... and per play last year, I'm not sure there was a more efficient pass rusher in the league.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Shane do your eyes tell you Richardson is going to be the guy who is on the field the most this pre season? Has he earned the chance to earn the top spot in your opinion?

Also we know Legatron can kick the laces off a ball but is he getting more accurate at long distances. I'm asking because I've read nothing other than "he can kick really far".

ShaneG

Starter

albefree69 said:
Good stuff Shane.

Last year, Davis was outstanding in camp and looked better than Clemens. This year, both have looked about the same (not that impressive). With that said, these games are going to be critical in determining who lands the No. 2 spot. Davis played well in live action last preseason, so it will be interesting how it goes this time around.

nighttrain

Legend

albefree69 said:
Good stuff Shane.

if Austin cant beat out Clemens for the 2, cut bait and keep the Kid from Texas, Jenkiins He looks to have all the tools
train

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

nighttrain replied:
if Austin cant beat out Clemens for the 2, cut bait and keep the Kid from Texas, Jenkiins He looks to have all the tools

There has probably been a bunch of stuff said about him while I was under the weather but the last I heard, he wasn't looking very good. Has he made big improvements?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

albefree69 said:
nighttrain replied:

There has probably been a bunch of stuff said about him while I was under the weather but the last I heard, he wasn't looking very good. Has he made big improvements?
I've heard very few good things about Jenkins so far.

Very few.

ShaneG

Starter

LesBaker said:
Shane do your eyes tell you Richardson is going to be the guy who is on the field the most this pre season? Has he earned the chance to earn the top spot in your opinion?

Also we know Legatron can kick the laces off a ball but is he getting more accurate at long distances. I'm asking because I've read nothing other than "he can kick really far".

Yes, Richardson looks like the clear front-runner to end being the starter this year. He looked good again last night. He could certainly stand to improve his hands, though.