Trade back up??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
How would you guys feel about a trade back up to #3 to select Matt Kalil? Is that crazy talk? Our pick plus one of our future 1st rounders. Thoughts..

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No way man. We need those picks to rebuild w/ playmakers and develop OL w/ later round picks. If there's a trade up, I'd like to trade back into the 1st round sacrificing one of those future picks instead.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I was thinking this, but thought the idea too bold to post. Anyway, I dont think it is out of the question.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re:

interference said:
I was thinking this, but thought the idea too bold to post. Anyway, I dont think it is out of the question.
I don't either, nobody even come close to him in this draft.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Re: Re:

DR RAM said:
interference said:
I don't either, nobody even come close to him in this draft.

I really like Kalil, but Im greedy. I want all those picks :twisted:

bluecoconuts

Legend
I would be all for it. Because that basically means this draft we got Matt Kalil (whom we would have wanted and could have picked at #2 easily), and then a first rounder and second rounder for free.

I don't think it happens, but I would like it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well if the reports are true about how high Minny is on him, it may take too much to get him. I also don't think it fits with Fisher's MO - not that in any given year THAT can't change.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I wouldn't do it, and Minnesota would flat out refuse. They love Kalil more than we loved Orlando Pace - and we traded up to get Pace.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see most of you wouldn't. But...the question isn't IF the Viking would do it, the discussion is whether you would do it as the GM. It's just a scenario. It would be in play for me. Rams could possibly get one of the highest rated players in the draft period...plus a 2nd and an additional 1st. It's still a smoking deal if you ask me.

Building the offensive line will be paramount to our future success...make no doubt about it.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:
I see most of you wouldn't. But...the question isn't IF the Viking would do it, the discussion is whether you would do it as the GM. It's just a scenario. It would be in play for me. Rams could possibly get one of the highest rated players in the draft period...plus a 2nd and an additional 1st. It's still a smoking deal if you ask me.

Building the offensive line will be paramount to our future success...make no doubt about it.

I was just thinking about trading up to 4 to ensure us the choice between Blackmon and Claiborne (especially after Bartell's release).

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
We can still get an impact player for years to come @ 6.

Kalil isn't worthy of the trade imo.

We have a shit load of holes.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Username said:
We can still get an impact player for years to come @ 6.

Kalil isn't worthy of the trade imo.

We have a shit load of holes.

I completely agree with your first and third points, Username. We do have a lot of holes on this team, and I do believe we could get an impact player at number six. Still, I also believe that Kalil would definitely be worthy of this trade. He's a legitimate franchise tackle, and those guys don't exactly grow on trees.

I just don't know if I could give up a first rounder that could easily be a top ten pick, though. That's too steep of a price.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'd say no to trading back up because I think the Rams land 3 starters with the first round and two second round picks. Now those future 1st round picks may just have become more valuable with the cap hit the Skins just took so I would consider trading one of those away to get an extra pick this year. Maybe an early 2nd rounder this year?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
One of the first things Fisher said when he took the job was that 'we have to keep Sam upright'. Given that, I don't see why it's out of the question that the F.O. might just try & work a deal to get Kalil.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
interference said:
One of the first things Fisher said when he took the job was that 'we have to keep Sam upright'. Given that, I don't see why it's out of the question that the F.O. might just try & work a deal to get Kalil.
That is of course unless they feel that they can do just as good of a job with Jason Smith and Roger Saffold. I think that they believe that Paul Boudreau can do a better job of getting them ready to play than Loney (whether that's true or not). Boudreau has been able to get lower draft picks and UDFA to play well on the line.

Fisher/Snead might also believe that an additional RB (Richardson) or a WR who can quickly get open (a healthy Amendola or Blackmon) will also improve the o-line by not allowing the defense to zero in on Sam or give them as much time to sack him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
That is of course unless they feel that they can do just as good of a job with Jason Smith and Roger Saffold. I think that they believe that Paul Boudreau can do a better job of getting them ready to play than Loney (whether that's true or not). Boudreau has been able to get lower draft picks and UDFA to play well on the line.

Fisher/Snead might also believe that an additional RB (Richardson) or a WR who can quickly get open (a healthy Amendola or Blackmon) will also improve the o-line by not allowing the defense to zero in on Sam or give them as much time to sack him.

All that and I have a feeling Snead and Fisher are targeting another OLman - granted not as flashy as getting Kalil but they know we need players - real ones and lots of them. I would have to guess that Minny would want both of those #1s we just got or at minimum one of them plus our #2 this year. IMO - that is too steep when we could no doubt get better production out of our current guys by adding a decent player or two to the line.