Trade 1st rd pick for Phil Rivers and their 2nd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
Anyone think Chargers would do this? I know Rivers was(is?) not happy in SD. We would be a lot like the Cardinals with an older QB of his skill. AKA we would almost certainly make the playoffs.

Thoughts? Can we petition the Rams to do this? :)

ausmurp

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3 2nd rd picks too, would easily allow us to trade back up into the 1st or very early 2nd rd if we wanted..

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
He already stated that if the chargers were to move to LA he would either demand a trade or just retire. I don't think he wants to move his massive family doesn't he have like 7 or 8 kids?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If everyone was amiable I'd love Rivers running our O

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Besides what was said above - trading Rivers would leave the Chargers with a $34.5 million cap hit for 2016. And the Rams would need to clear room for his $16 million salary.

Not going to happen.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Anyone think Chargers would do this? I know Rivers was(is?) not happy in SD. We would be a lot like the Cardinals with an older QB of his skill. AKA we would almost certainly make the playoffs.

Thoughts? Can we petition the Rams to do this? :)

No.
Rivers doesn't want to go to L.A.

giphy.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
3 2nd rd picks too, would easily allow us to trade back up into the 1st or very early 2nd rd if we wanted..
I like the way your Thinking. But ain't going to happen! Because of ..

He already stated that if the chargers were to move to LA he would either demand a trade or just retire. I don't think he wants to move his massive family doesn't he have like 7 or 8 kids?
This^!! And ..

Rivers doesn't want to go to L.A.
This^!!

Rivers has made it perfectly clear, on numerous occasions, He Loves the San Diego, and doesn't want to up-route his Family!
But it was a nice idea! Maybe we could try it for Drew Brees!?!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If he wouldn't do it as a charger, he sure as hell ain't doing as a ram.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm basing the $34.5 million dead cap figure on this http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/philip-rivers/

If you're traded all the bonus money is accelerated to this year, iirc - it's not like cutting him where some of the money could count for next year. Now it is true that he would count $21 million this year anyway - but that's still an extra $13.5 million cap hit for this year - and no starting QB.

And you're right - I'd meant to say dead cap hit, not cap hit. My bad. Sorry.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
So - there is just no way that the 15th pick gets you Rivers and a high 2nd.

It doesn't even get you Rivers.

Maybe our first this year and next year - and even that probably doesn't get it done.

Why? Because franchise QBs are everything in this league.

ausmurp

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So - there is just no way that the 15th pick gets you Rivers and a high 2nd.

It doesn't even get you Rivers.

Maybe our first this year and next year - and even that probably doesn't get it done.

Why? Because franchise QBs are everything in this league.

I don't feel this is accurate. When a team and player and not on the same page, this or even higher caliber player has been acquired for far less. I thought they were still on bad terms, maybe that isn't the case anymore..

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't feel this is accurate. When a team and player and not on the same page, this or even higher caliber player has been acquired for far less. I thought they were still on bad terms, maybe that isn't the case anymore..

He signed a contract extension in the last year to stay w them. So there is that.