Touches/Targets for TA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FLramFAN

Rookie
I'm wondering how many touches the Rams can get TA, legitimately and still keep him in a position to avoid injury and keep him fresh.

I realize injury can happen at any time, to any person. I also realize that Austin supposedly has never missed a game due to injury all through HS and College. But, you have to think that the Rams are going to have plays designed for him that get him in to space in order allow him to use his speed and stop the D from using the size and strength advantage.

From what I could find, the Rams ran 742 offensive plays last year, not including punts/FG. That's an average of just over 46 plays per game.

I'm thinking he gets 1-2 runs (quick pitches, reverses, etc) per game.
I'm thinking he'll catch 2-3 passes behind the line of scrimmage per game.
I'm thinking he'll be targeted 3-4 more times beyond the line of scrimmage in short to intermediate routes and then maybe they see if he can just outrun the D on a fly route a couple of times each game.

I guess touches will depend upon how many passes are completed to him, maybe targets would be a better word.

I'm seeing 7-11 touches/targets per game, at least early in the season. If it's going well, that may increase by a couple throughout the season.

Based upon last year's offensive play total, 7-11 touches/targets per game (112/176 over a 16 game season, would mean TA would be involved in 15% to 23.75% of the total plays from scrimmage. 23+% may be a little high for a rookie WR that's dependent upon speed and lacks the size and strength of some of the guys like Megatron.

But when you factor in that he's likely to be involved with a punt return or two each game, It's certainly possible that he could be involved in something like 18%-20% of offense plays.

What do you guys think.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I think 5-7 touches in each of the first couple games, excluding special teams touches. Austin will be so amped in the Arizona game, just give him a couple easy touches to build his confidence. Trying to do too much initially with him could only add to the pressure to make big plays. I could see a reverse, and some slip screens allowing him to create in space. Build his confidence and allow him to get a feel for the "real" game speed.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Good post FL. I'll take the easy approach focusing just for game 1. You're probably right on re: 1-2 punt return opp's seeing as he'll likely run the first 2 back for TDs thus causing the Sparrows to punt out of bounds on all remaining. And yes they will be punting a lot to us...

Overall I can see TA getting heavily involved from the first drive. I'll say 10 targets w/ 1-2 tricks included.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
5 - 8 would be my guess. Maybe a couple more, depending on the amount of punt returns.