Totally out there conjecture...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, we're not making the playoffs. Pretty sure we can all agree on that. Short of running the table, it's just not going to happen and...we're not going to run the table. Not that I wouldn't LOVE for that to happen, but it's not.

So, something happened earlier this week or last that really struck me.

Brady's people let rip. I think the Logan Mankins trade was the last straw. Brady has had less input into the offense and feels less a part of this new team than ever. As well, Brady has given at least half of what he could make up so the team could sign key players only for the team to let them go for minimal amounts. Wes Welker was let go for what amounted to $1M. The Patriots keep refusing to pay OL and Brady's starting to take hits. Now, I've hated on the Pats for a long time, but I've admired Brady for two things... his competitive nature and his willingness to put team first. You didn't see Peyton Manning giving back $10M per season so that the Broncos could be more competitive, but Brady essentially did. Brady only makes less than $10M per. That's ridiculously low for a top 5 QB. Even at his age, I'd only put Rogers, P Manning and Brees ahead of him.

So, Brady's pissed. So much so that we got one of those pieces from a reporter that you get when someone wants to get the information out with deniability. Basically, short of Robert Kraft getting involved and re-anointing him, Brady wants out.

Which creates a fantastic opportunity for the Rams.

If the Pats falter as it looks like they will, especially given their lack of depth and mounting injuries, then Brady will either be out of the playoffs early or miss them altogether. And this Rams team is really just missing that franchise QB.

According to Spotrac, Brady's dead money if he were traded from NE would be $18M. That's a lot, but hey, the Rams without Chris Long are essentially playing with around $27M if I did my math right (prolly not, but I'm in the ballpark). $18M is a lot of dead money, but if they go with their rook and move on without Brady, they'd still be making out in the deal considering how much they didn't pay him over the years...

Either way, my question would be this? Do we draft a guy or potentially go hard for Brady and see if he can't be had? I'd rather have Sam as a backup to a future first ballot HoFer with Austin Davis as our 3rd string. Now that's solid depth at the QB position. That gives Sam time to really heal his leg as well as to learn behind a legend and work on mechanics and touch.

I for one would love to HARD after Brady if, in fact, Brady is really this dissatisfied with Belicheck and the new OC and just wants out.

Seems crazy, but I thought the idea of Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams was crazy a few years ago. Loony tunes. Now he's here. With Britt and Quick and Bailey and Austin, as well as 3 solid RBs and two solid pass catching TEs, Brady would have more weapons here than he's EVER had in NE.

Dream a little dream....and all that....

Rambition

Rookie
food for thought. at the moment, most of the hyped-up QB's in this next draft aren't quite living up to that hype...so a thing like this might start looking more feasible. how do you think he would mesh with schottenheimer?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
NO....besides wasn't this brought up before. I think the general feeling was he is too old (only hasa few years left at best), has shown to be average or below when the O-line isn't great, and has not doen well when not fed tape on the opposing team (based on our record we do not have the sort of tape he is used to at least).

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Anyone else think Brady would simply choose to retire rather than play for another team? I reckon there's a good chance of that

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Great hot stove talk there Mac but I don't think that'll happen

V3

Hall of Fame
Why do we want an old regressing QB, again? We are more than a QB away from the SB. I'd rather keep building for the future. The only difference is I'm thinking I want someone else to be doing the choosing and/or coaching. This could be one of the last times we're at the top of the draft for a while where we could draft a QB. You take one when you have the chance if you need a QB.

rams2050

Starter
Don't want him, and he'd be a fool to play for the Rams -- with THEIR pathetic O-line -- anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It may seem silly, but I literally would stop being affiliated with the Rams if that happened. It's just the way it is. And the Patriots are on the rebound now. All that talk about him being pissed is just him being a pissy little girl as per usual. He's happy now. The past two games he's been prancing around on the sidelines and being glee. Again, like a little girl. And before you ask, the answer is no. I don't care about the Rams winning if it means he's the QB.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
it's not what the cap hit a QB like Brady bring.
It's triple that to get a O-Line that gives him the 6 seconds in the pocket he's accustomed too.

69superbowl

Rookie
Brady would be broken into little sticks standing behind this garbage picking offensive line.

fearsomefour

Legend
food for thought. at the moment, most of the hyped-up QB's in this next draft aren't quite living up to that hype...so a thing like this might start looking more feasible. how do you think he would mesh with schottenheimer?
I think he would tell Schottenheimer what O he wanted to run and that would be it.

69superbowl

Rookie
Yes. Why not? I hate Brady and his complicit cheating. Maybe a new trend - can we get Jerry Rice out of retirement too?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was just food for thought... it seems since the initial report that things are settling down in NE, but who knows what the off-season brings?

Also, our OL is pretty dang good. The only really weak link is Wells and I expect Jones to step in and do really well.

As long as it isn't Jameis Winston... whether it's Austin Davis or a healthy Sam Bradford or a newly minted draft pick... or even a vet FA that comes free that no one expected (it happens rarely), I could get behind it...

I understand the Brady hate. I really do. But I'm over it. Never with Coach Hoody... That said, I don't think he's any more on the downside of his career than Peyton Manning is... and this Rams team has WAY more weapons than NE does...

Lastly, I wouldn't underestimate anything the Patriots would do... Brady has given up the chance at tens of millions over the years in order for the Pats to sign key players only for them to let all of them go... especially key OL and WRs for nominal amounts.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Brady finished up elsewhere. Denver is happy to "rent" Manning for a few years and I'm sure some team would be thrilled to "rent" Brady for a few as well if Brady does break out.

Spygate and Micgate and all that cheating stuff... well, yeah. Spygate, I dunno if anyone other than the coaches knew. Micgate, he had to know because he heard people talking to him well after the mic should have cut out. He HAD to know.

That said, he's not a rapist or even suspected of being a rapist. He's never harmed an animal or another person (that kick he got fined for wasn't especially cool, but at least it was on the field).

I have no idea if this is even remotely possible, but of all the choices, we could do a lot worse. Heck, we've HAD a lot worse... the litany... the humanity...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have a hard time with the idea of it. I can't stand Brady. I just can't imagine him in Horns any more than I could imagine Kaepernick in them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well, we're not making the playoffs. Pretty sure we can all agree on that. Short of running the table, it's just not going to happen and...we're not going to run the table. Not that I wouldn't LOVE for that to happen, but it's not.

I don't agree with this at all. The Seahawks lost today and the 49ers are presently being pounded by the Broncos 42-10 at the end of the third quarter. We hung in there against the Eagles and the Cowboys. When we're 2-8 I'll agree.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't see the value in it myself but that's probably my bias talking. Not sure I could follow the team while he was on the roster.