Torry Holt thinks rams need a number one WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Torry said he likes Watkins. He said he didn't study a lot of Sammy's tape but he did watch him and he knows how to play the position. Likes his hands, size, and speed. Thinks Watkins is ready to come in an play right now.

Steve Savard said he loves Watkins and said that's the guy he is praying for in the draft. Tyoka Jackson loves Watkins too, and he said that's the guy the Rams need to pick.

So they all support my view that we cannot just go into the season with Quick as a starter. That is a huge risk.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Torry said he likes Watkins. He said he didn't study a lot of Sammy's tape but he did watch him and he knows how to play the position. Likes his hands, size, and speed. Thinks Watkins is ready to come in an play right now.

Steve Savard said he loves Watkins and said that's the guy he is praying for in the draft. Tyoka Jackson loves Watkins too, and he said that's the guy the Rams need to pick.

So they all support my view that we cannot just go into the season with Quick as a starter. That is a huge risk.
I'm fine with that. I would like a stud WR - regardless if that becomes Quick or if we have to use a #1 pick on him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
If we end up with 3 1st. round picks then Watkins would be okay! Our receivers are going to be better so keeping Sam upright is the priority!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz, they support YOUR view? :heh: Jes playin, and I love your enthusiasm about Watkins, but lets keep this in perspective. How many WRs come in and are immediate and productive #1s in this league??? It despends on the personnel already in pace if you ask me. Julio had Roddy. Alshon had Marshall. Hell, even Moss had Carter there to draw coverage. What makes you think that Watkins can come into the NFL and win matchups consistently with #1 corners in this league? Very few have shown the ability to do it, and those that did had a much larger catch radius (AJ Green, Megatron, etc.). I like Watkins but I am not ready to say he could step in and be a #1 WR in this league right away.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Lolz, they support YOUR view? :heh: Jes playin, and I love your enthusiasm about Watkins, but lets keep this in perspective. How many WRs come in and are immediate and productive #1s in this league??? It despends on the personnel already in pace if you ask me. Julio had Roddy. Alshon had Marshall. Hell, even Moss had Carter there to draw coverage. What makes you think that Watkins can come into the NFL and win matchups consistently with #1 corners in this league? Very few have shown the ability to do it, and those that did had a much larger catch radius (AJ Green, Megatron, etc.). I like Watkins but I am not ready to say he could step in and be a #1 WR in this league right away.

How did Keenan Allen do this year? How did Josh Gordon do last year?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What does Torry know about wide receivers?

I'll wait until Bernie weighs in.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Jordan Matthews > Sammy Watkins.

watch. Just like I called Keenen Allen > Tavon Austin last off season and a lot of people down played me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
watch. Just like I called Keenen Allen > Tavon Austin last off season and a lot of people down played me.

Look how far Robert Quinn has come since his rookie year. I think it's waaay too early to suggest Allen > Austin.

I'd still pick Austin in that draft, no question.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Look how far Robert Quinn has come since his rookie year. I think it's waaay too early to suggest Allen > Austin.

I'd still pick Austin in that draft, no question.

I'm more speaking on how they preformed this year. Every one used to talk about Tavon as if he would come in and cure our WR issues the same way they think Watkins is.

as of right now Allen > Tavon by far. a few years from now maybe Tavon > Allen well see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Every one used to talk about Tavon as if he would come in and cure our WR issues the same way they think Watkins is.

Yeah, that's the deal spending a high pick on a WR... It's more of a futures pick / investment for seasons beyond the first.

An olinemen, for example, can contribute at a higher level year one. As can other positions.

That's not to say a WR can't, it's just less likely.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I just don't think these Rams will ever be a team that features a big time receiver. This is a Jeff Fisher team, so I see a lot more ground and pound mixed with short, safe routes that are really just more of an extension of the running game. I could be wrong, but I have seen nothing in the first 2 years with him and Schotty to think that we will change that philosophy drastically. He has plenty of history to support this.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So does Torry saying this mean he doesn't see Quick as our #1 in the future or as of right now?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's the deal spending a high pick on a WR... It's more of a futures pick / investment for seasons beyond the first.

An olinemen, for example, can contribute at a higher level year one. As can other positions.

That's not to say a WR can't, it's just less likely.

All picks are investments for seasons beyond the first, Tavon was selected because they thought he was the best WR in the class and didn't want to miss on him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

quick has #1wr written all over him. the question is can he bring it out of himself?

we will find out what the coaching staff think come draft time. they will watch all the tape, they will know what quick is right now and what they think he will become.

it's a shame sam went down early this year. it really screwed the rams in more ways than just this season going down the tube.