Torry Holt on the game (InsideSTL - The Morning After)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://www.insidestlaudio.com/ITD_Audio/091012-3TorryHolt.mp3[/rp3]

SEGMENT 3-- It Is a Talk Sports Day On a Show That Doesn't Really Want to Talk Sports All That Much, Torry Holt Finally Comes Through and Joins the Show to Talk About How He Saw the Rams Game Yesterday & They Were Clearly In a Place to Win That Game, the Executed the Game Plan About As Well As They Possibly Could Have, Would Have Liked Them to Use a Better Change of Pace Throughout the Game Though with the Running Backs to Try and Change the Speed, Should We Be Worried About the Wide Receivers That Were Drafted & That They Didn't Touch the Ball, Still Concerned About the Offensive Line and Losing Numbers Already, and Evaluating Sam Bradford's Play for Week One While Taking Some Hits, Plus It Is a Difference That Jeff Fisher Brings to This Team ---

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Direct quote:

"I'm concerned about this offensive line."

I hear ya Torry. But. I'm encouraged by how the backups came in and performed.

Also ... On Sam ...

"It's a timing issue..." (on the Givens pass)

I do think once these guys get on the same page, we'll be a formidable offense. People will disagree with that and whatnot, but I don't care. I see the writing on the wall, and I expect them to start to get ahead and STAY ahead once this offense starts to sync up. I'm excited about the future.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yep, rewatching the game with Givens it's just a timing issue. Sam saw Givens running open to late, and he threw a bomb that Givens just outran and had to slow down for. And even then, it was inches from being completed, probably just a second earlier. That's just two players who haven't had time with each other much, Sam isn't used to seeing someone get down the field that fast really. It's week 1 with a totally new team. Rome wasn't built in a day.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Preach, Torry.

He said he would have liked to have seen a little more change of pace with Pead and Richardson in the game in combination with Steven Jackson. I think that's a very good point. Not saying that the other two are better than Jackson, but it's pretty much common knowledge that Jackson is THE pass blocker on this team, and if you leave him in on obvious passing downs, then they're *obviously* going to pass. They might have been able to change it up a little by putting in one of the other two and maybe run a draw, screen or pitch in those situations.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT, in any CAPACITY, think I could have orchestrated a better offensive scheme.

Just thought it was pretty cool insight on Torry's part.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Preach, Torry.

He said he would have liked to have seen a little more change of pace with Pead and Richardson in the game in combination with Steven Jackson. I think that's a very good point. Not saying that the other two are better than Jackson, but it's pretty much common knowledge that Jackson is THE pass blocker on this team, and if you leave him in on obvious passing downs, then they're *obviously* going to pass. They might have been able to change it up a little by putting in one of the other two and maybe run a draw, screen or pitch in those situations.

DISCLAIMER: I do NOT, in any CAPACITY, think I could have orchestrated a better offensive scheme.

Idk dude, I saw Richardson pop some people on pass pro pretty good in the Baltimore game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
X said:
Preach, Torry.

Idk dude, I saw Richardson pop some people on pass pro pretty good in the Baltimore game.
Yeah, but by then, who was he going against? They only started 3 of their starters the whole game. Not saying Richardson isn't ready yet, but he's FAR from being as effective as SJ at pass pro. If Detroit had all of the preseason tape (and they did), then they saw that Jackson was the only one who was capable of picking up blitzers and blockers.

This too shall pass though. I think Richardson is gonna be a beast before too long, and Pead is already a very dangerous open-field runner. Once we get these cats integrated into the gameplan, there's gonna be a whole lotta options at our disposal. Just gonna take some time.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Good point. Idk if I would've trusted Sams life to anyone else the way the rush was coming yesterday.

Not going to get easier next week though. Maybe a little bit because we're at home and can use the cadence I guess. Watkins and Hunter will be in the whole game though. :shock:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Another thing too. If we're going to run against the 8-9 man box consistently with Jackson (which I get at times we may have to do.) Keep enough blockers in. It's the only way if we insist on doing it and not allowing an audible out. Even when the line did pickup people he had no chance.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Username said:
Another thing too. If we're going to run against the 8-9 man box consistently with Jackson (which I get at times we may have to do.) Keep enough blockers in. It's the only way if we insist on doing it and not allowing an audible out. Even when the line did pickup people he had no chance.
Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious or something, but why not spread out 4 wide and THEN try to run at the D-line? Seems to me that when you try to run up against a 9 man box with 7 blockers, you're probably going to lose. I dunno. I just watch these college spread teams run the ball successfully when they spread out their O, and I wonder why NFL teams haven't widely adapted that philosophy yet.

Like I said, I'm probably overlooking the obvious. It really can't be that simple.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Username said:
Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious or something, but why not spread out 4 wide and THEN try to run at the D-line? Seems to me that when you try to run up against a 9 man box with 7 blockers, you're probably going to lose. I dunno. I just watch these college spread teams run the ball successfully when they spread out their O, and I wonder why NFL teams haven't widely adapted that philosophy yet.

Like I said, I'm probably overlooking the obvious. It really can't be that simple.

This is where having Givens (or any other WR that can get open downfield) and Sam gain some chemistry will really help. Make the defense have their safeties line up deeper to open things up for the run.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Username said:

If the defense decides to show blitz, or is blitzing often and you're hell bent on running, not allowing Sam to audible out, then you're screwed. Idk how much spreading out 4 wide does for clearing up when the defense has no respect for the pass at all. Especially when you're not going over the top much.

Haslet is probably going to dare us to pass it all game

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Username said:
X said:
Username said:

If the defense decides to show blitz, or is blitzing often and you're hell bent on running, not allowing Sam to audible out, then you're screwed. Idk how much spreading out 4 wide does for clearing up when the defense has no respect for the pass at all. Especially when you're not going over the top much.

Haslet is probably going to dare us to pass it all game

IF protection holds up just enough (im pretty sure we gave up 6 or 7 sacks against them last year), it shouldnt be a big issue attacking their secondary. Deangelo Hall is a ballhawk that takes a lot of chances, but you can go after him a lot. Josh Wilson is solid. Their safety positions has completely changed from having Atogwe and Landry last year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:

SEGMENT 3-- It Is a Talk Sports Day On a Show That Doesn't Really Want to Talk Sports All That Much, Torry Holt Finally Comes Through and Joins the Show to Talk About How He Saw the Rams Game Yesterday & They Were Clearly In a Place to Win That Game, the Executed the Game Plan About As Well As They Possibly Could Have, Would Have Liked Them to Use a Better Change of Pace Throughout the Game Though with the Running Backs to Try and Change the Speed, Should We Be Worried About the Wide Receivers That Were Drafted & That They Didn't Touch the Ball, Still Concerned About the Offensive Line and Losing Numbers Already, and Evaluating Sam Bradford's Play for Week One While Taking Some Hits, Plus It Is a Difference That Jeff Fisher Brings to This Team ---

Were You Bored?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Were You Bored?
I have no idea what that means.

And ... yeah ... I'm often bored.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Were You Bored?

Just that you typed each word with a capital letter. I Can Picture Doing That If I'm Bored Out of My Skull. No point other than that.

PhxRam

RamFan503 said:
X said:
RamFan503 said:
X said:

Were You Bored?

Just that you typed each word with a capital letter. I Can Picture Doing That If I'm Bored Out of My Skull. No point other than that.

Maybe he types like I write. For whatever reason, probably about 25 years ago I started writing all my letters in capitals. Dont even know why it happened. It just started.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or.

And stay with me here ...

Maybe I copied & pasted from the site and THEY typed it out like that.

:shock: No.....!

Yes. Yes indeed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I THINK WHEN Sam realizes and sees that when Givens is even he's leavin', it's gonna become a thing of beauty.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
One thing I didn't notice were many drops. Anyone have stats on how many dropped balls the Rams had? I think Steve Smith may have had one, but not even sure about that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Or.

And stay with me here ...

Maybe I copied & pasted from the site and THEY typed it out like that.

:shock: No.....!

Yes. Yes indeed.

That's what I thought at first but then I thought ... follow me here as I weave my twisted thoughts before your eyes... why would THEY do THAT? Then I thought, "It must be Paulie doing one of those "will they notice" type things." You couldn't see me in the back of the class - obviously - but I had my hand up the whole time. You didn't pick me so I blurted it out anyway. And all for not cuz I got the ruler to the wrist anyway. NOW who's bored?

And PHx - I started writing in all caps in junior high when I thought I wanted to get into architecture. Fast forward 35 years and I can barely sign my name in cursive. In fact I have to practice when someone requires a full name on a document. Fascinating - eh? :sly: Did I mention I was bored?