Top Ten All Time Ram SAFETIES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Pick Two Ram Safeties In Their Prime:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
This Top Ten journey has been a real labor of love for me.:pillowfight: I have definitely learned much about the team I love.

The Rams have had a storied past. But they also have, in my opinion, a bright future. I am by nature a very optimistic person. The fresh start back in Los Angeles feels really good. It is in some sense bringing back the past. But make no mistake. This is the future. Young players coming into their prime. :football:Good times are ahead!

The Safety position brings some vagueness with it. (n) Some great cornerbacks are rotated to safety as their careers come to a close. It makes sense:
  • A safety has a different required skill set, not requiring as much quickness, at just the time the player loses that competitive step needed to keep up with today's receivers.
  • The great cornerback can use some of his accumulated football savvy and leadership to protect the backfield and direct the defense for another couple years.
So I took the liberty, based on Section III paragraph IX of the TopTen Rules, Regulations and Bylaws, to include certain players on BOTH lists.:sneaky: (Besides the Safety position would otherwise have some serious drop off after the top seven or eight guys.):whistle:

Having said that, I did go 20 deep again. I also list interception/touchdown stats, years played for the Rams, and Pro Bowls in parenthesis. So here with go!:yess:
The Top Twenty All Time Ram SAFETIES:

1. Nolan Cromwell 37/4 '77-87 (4) :banana:Ram it baby!
  2. Eddie Meador 46/5 '59-70 (6)
  3. Will Sherman 28/3 '52-60 (2)
  4. Johnny Johnson 21/4 '80-88
  5. Dave Elmendorf 27/2 '71-79 He was one of the first ball Hawks I remember.
  6. Aeneas Williams 9/3 '01-04 (2)Yeah, twice. He deserves mention at safety, too. HOF
  7. Bill Simpson 22/0 '74-78
  8. Keith Lyle 28/0 '94-00 Like Lyght, it was great to see him get a ring.
  9. :double:OJ Atogwe 22/1 '05-10 leave the Rams, career over. :fighting: The second most disgraceful OJ.
  10. Vince Newsome 12/1 '83-90
  11. Toby Wright 7/1 '94-98 :boxing:some guys still feel the pain from his blows. He actually hit harder than TJ Mac.
  12. TJ McDonald 2/0 '13-15
  13. Michael Stewart 7/1 '87-93
  14. Don Burroughs 21/0 '55-59
  15. Anthony Newman 11/1 '88-94
  16. Jim Nettles 16/1 '69-72
  17. Rodney McLeod 5/0 '12-15 He has really improved and earned respect.
  18. Herb Rich 14/2 '51-53
  19. Mark Barron 0/0 '14-15 He has found his impact with the Rams. Hopefully we retain him.
  20. Pat Terrell 4/0 '90-93 Second round pick-had higher hopes for him.
Notable low impact Free Agents:
  • Corey Chavous
  • Devin Bush
  • Chad Cota
  • Matt Bowen
  • Tim Fox
  • Kim Herring
Just NO: Craig Dahl

Thank you for bearing with my lists! I have enjoyed sharing with you guys. My "Ramily" as the phrase was coined recently. ... Wait....what about coaches...yeah. We can list coaches now...maybe I'm not done yet!:mrburnsevil:

Next list: HEAD COACHES:cheers:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I had to go with my boy Cromwell. I absolutely wore out my #21 jersey when I was in HS. For my second choice, I am going to go with McD. Elmendorf and Lyle are certainly a couple good ones and Wright was fun to watch but I am going with TJ for what I think will be his future causing pain over the middle.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Adam Archuleta deserves a little recognition. He was pretty good for a few years.

Oh crap. I did it again. Nice catch 83. I loved Archuleta! I don't know how he got past me. 3picks and an 85 yard pick 6 in '05. Wore the horns '01-05. I was upset when he left in free agency.

I would plug him in around...15,16 on my list.

Also broadcasted some of the Ram games, so how could I miss?:headexplosion:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Wow, so 46 interceptions, 6 Pro Bowls, being the captain of the defense that is primarily known for the defensive line called the Fearsome Foursome gets you last place?

Eddie Meador wore 21 before Nolan, who I love.

Meador still holds the club record for interceptions after 40 years and the growth of the passing game.

He also held for kicks and scored at least twice on FG fakes.

I must be old.....carry on then.

Just so you know though, Eddie was a player.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, so 46 interceptions, 6 Pro Bowls, being the captain of the defense that is primarily known for the defensive line called the Fearsome Foursome gets you last place?

Meador still holds the club record for interceptions after 40 years and the growth of the passing game.

i voted for elmendorf. thats as far back as i saw with my own eyes. he had a knack for big interceptions. he and bill simpson made a pretty good pair.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Why isn't OJ Atogwe in the poll? That guy was a ballhawk for us.

Yeah. He's not in the poll. The polls list a handful of guys from different eras. Atogwe isn't in the poll. Did you see him in the list though? He should be ranked about right in the list. Don't you think?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Back back back in the early AOL days, I went by the handle "TWright32" .Guy was a stud. Both he and Keith Lyle.I wish Toby wouldn't have gotten hurt. cromwell will ALWAYS be at or near the tops of this list

Redding- I remember you! Wasn't there a guy named Gustard?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

The "last place" in the poll I s just a reflection of guys in 2016, don't you think? You see him more importantly near the top of my "list" though right?

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Yeah. He's not in the poll. The polls list a handful of guys from different eras. Atogwe isn't in the poll. Did you see him in the list though? He should be ranked about right in the list. Don't you think?
Oh ok, I understand now. I just panicked a little lol. 9 seems about right too.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
That is a SHORT, SHORT list. Toby Wright went up for an interception on the last play of the game, against the saints--a hail mary....i think he tore his ACL, and he never quite could come back fromthat.....am I right--that he tore his ACL? Toby was the hardest hitting Ram ever---in my book...

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
That is a SHORT, SHORT list. Toby Wright went up for an interception on the last play of the game, against the saints--a hail mary....i think he tore his ACL, and he never quite could come back fromthat.....am I right--that he tore his ACL? Toby was the hardest hitting Ram ever---in my book...

By short list, are you talking about the POLL? I think some guys might be mistaking the POLL for the LIST. Did you catch the list of 20 in the text below? I hope I wasn't confusing.

Thanks for the memory. I don't remember if it was his ACL, just that he was injured and never really returned.