Top Ten All Time Ram OFFENSIVE TACKLES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WHICH WAS THE BIGGEST BUST?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Next position up for consideration: Offensive Tackle. As you ROD members know, we have had some great talent at this position. As with Center, Quarterback and Guard, opinions on players will vary. I would love to get some more feedback from guys.:bueller: I have a memory of the early '70s on, with maybe a few gaps in there during my time in the military in the mid '80's. Sometimes my perspective is a little skewed.:huh: Your alternate lists would be great to see.:popcorn:

I have for you with the Tackles:
  1. A list of the 10 greatest.
  2. An unfortunate list of the 10 notable failed Free Agent signings- Tackles we picked up after their best days seemed to be behind them.
  3. Finally, a list of tackles the Rams maybe gave up on too early.
Without further ado:
THE TOP TEN RAM OFFENSIVE TACKLES OF ALL TIME

1. :bow:Jackie Slater. Of Course. Iron Man. Blocked for Walter Payton in College. 7 Pro Bowls.
  2. Orlando Pace. Anchored the blindside for the Greatest Show On Turf. 7 Pro Bowls
  3. Charlie Cowan. Great Tackle in the 60's through mid 70's. 3 Pro Bowls
  4. Bob Brown. Hall of Famer, but brief time with Rams drops him to #4. 2 Pro Bowls with Rams.
  5. Irv Pankey. Solid. Teamed with Slater through the 80's.
  6. John Williams. Solid Starter through the great 70's teams.
  7. Doug France. Great starter late 70's. Only 7 years with Rams. 2 Pro Bowls.
  8. Fred Miller. Teamed with Pace. Left for the Titans. :palm:
  9. Robert Jenkins. Solid starter for a few years.
  10. Dick Hoffman. Old timer. 3-time All-Pro.
Honorable Mention: Joe Carollo, Wayne Gandy, Roger Saffold, Harvey Dahl.

THE TOP TEN FREE AGENT SIGNING FAILURES. For what ever reason, sometimes just injury, we caught these guys after they already done stopped their share of edge rushers:

1. Jake Long
  2. Kyle Turley:rockon:
  3. Irv Eatman
  4. Earnest Dye
  5. Jacob Bell:rant:
  6. Barry Richardson:headexplosion:
  7. Gerald Perry
  8. Ron Yary. yeah. It's true
  9. Clarance Jones
  10. Max Starks
Dishonorable Mention: Anthony Davis, Rod Jones.
Too much respect for Harvey Dahl to put him on this list.

Did The Rams Give Up On These Guys Too Early, Or Not Fight Hard Enough To Keep Them?
  1. Zach Weigert
  2. Wayne Gandy
  3. John Greco
  4. Wayne Gandy
  5. John St. Clair
  6. Mike Person
  7. Joe Barksdale
  8. Jason Smith. No, just kidding.:rolllaugh:
Thanks, Fellow Horned Ones. Next installment: TIGHT ENDS:cheers:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did I mention Wayne Gandy in the last list?:love:

I was also going to list a guy names Charley Toogood ('51-'56) but he was...um...well, you know.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Fred Miller was about as good as Joe Barksdale so I think he might be on the wrong list.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Please replace Robert Jenkins who was Robert Cox, but I don't remember him starting much at all with Bill Bain please...He was with the Rams from 1979-1985 and was far superior to Robert Jenkins who only started 11 games for the Rams whereas Bill Bain started 41 Games!

bill_bain_1984_01_01.jpg

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Please replace Robert Jenkins who was Robert Cox, but I don't remember him starting much at all with Bill Bain please...He was with the Rams from 1979-1985 and was far superior to Robert Jenkins who only started 11 games for the Rams whereas Bill Bain started 41 Games!

bill_bain_1984_01_01.jpg

Thank you for the correction. I remember now that he changed his name. That's right! I think I missed on a few. I think I can edit my post right?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Man it doesn't get any better than Jackie Slater does it? Mr. Ram IMO. #respect.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dude I was thinking of my boy Zach Weigert from Nebraska - was one of my favorite players and was horrified to see him leave the Rams

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

bill_bain_1984_01_01.jpg

I had Bain as HM in the guard section. Was he misplaced?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
For you guys who really , really like Offensive Linemen ,

OL1_zpstlxdmclz.jpg