Top Ten All Time Ram LINEBACKERS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which 3 Linebackers Would You Love To line Up In their Prime (Pick 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
In researching Rams linebackers, there were a few things that I considered. Should I breakdown and make a list of all time Inside or Middle Linebackers and Outside linebackers? But there were too many grey areas where guys spent some years in the middle and some on the outside. There were a few years of a 3-4 where guys were more used as Defensive Ends, and there were multiple interior linebackers. So I ultimately listed the greats on one list, and like some of the others, extended it. This time to top 20.

(Which brings me to my regret. As was discussed in the Defensive End thread, Leonard Little was listed as an OLB, on the site I use for research, and I went against my memory of his role and omitted him from the DE list. My apologies. He should have, in my opinion been listed somewhere around #9 on that list. I considered putting him on this list, but it felt out of place. He was not a LB.)

There may be some controversy in the #1 through #3 selections. I consider, again: *Greatness and accomplishments, *Contributions toward Ram success, *Longevity, and *Not having Niner stench.:puke: Maybe that last qualification slipped my memory in previous posts.:whistle:

I also have listed the top ten Special Team Ace Linebackers over the years, Ten notable free agents and Six notable high draft picks that disappointed. Now our top ten...uh... twenty:

The Top Twenty Ram LINEBACKERS of All Time (Pro Bowls in Parenthesis):
  1. Isaiah Robertson 71-78 (6) I think he belongs in the HOF myself. Forget the famous blow he took from Earl Campbell. He was a tough SOB. And a ball hawk.
  2. Les Richter 54-62 (8) HOF.
  3. Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds 70-80 (2) He was a tough MLB all the way through the Seventies for us. Then he went to shower with the boys of San Francisco.:rant:
  4. Maxie Baughan 66-70. (4)
  5. Kevin Greene 85-92 (1) Hoping he will join the Hall of Fame class of '16 with Kurt and Pace. Too many of his great years with Pitt. to be higher on the list.
  6. Jack Pardee 57-72. (1) longevity with the team and great play had to put him high on the list.
  7. Jim Youngblood 73-83. (1) Not related to Jack, but this brother from another mother was great.
  8. Carl Ekern 76-88. (1) Consistent hard hitting player and leader.
  9. Don Paul 48-55 (3) Early days. Three time Pro Bowler.
  10. London Fletcher 98-01. I would love to slide him up the list as well, but only time with Rams considered.
  11. Mel Owens 81-89. played alongside Ekern through much of the 80's and contributed sacks.
  12. Roman Phifer 91-98. How could you not like Roman? One of my favorite Rams.
  13. James Laurinitis09-15. Has fallen off a bit, and is criticized for not shaking blockers, but he has been a pillar and model of consistency, and leadership.
  14. :bow:Mike Jones 97-00. One play put him in the hearts of all Ram fans, but he was very good.
  15. Pisa Tinoisamoa 03-08. Another fan favorite high effort player.
  16. Alec Ogletree 13-15. Injuries cut short his '15 season, but his talent could have him jump ten slots on this list, or more before he is done.
  17. Jim Collins 81-88. (1) from the solid group of linebackers in the '80's.
  18. Bob Brudzinski 77-80. Took a big payday in Miami, or would be a bit higher on the list.
  19. Will Witherspoon 06-09, 13. A good defensive leader and tackler.
  20. George Andrews, 79-84 High draft pick, played well for a few years.
Honorable Mention: Fred Strickland, Larry Kelm, Marlin McKeever (1), Bob Griffin.

Ten Special Teams Linebacker Aces:
  1. Darren Bates
  2. Ken Geddes
  3. Chris Chamberlain
  4. Josh Hull
  5. David Vobora
  6. Thomas Homco
  7. Larry Grant
  8. Brett Faryniarz
  9. Mark Jerue
  10. Brandon Chillar
Other notable free agents with varying levels of success:
  1. JoLonn Dunbar, ushered in the overgrown Praying Mantis, Colin Kaepernick.
  2. Shane Conlan. Came to us with zero knee cartilage.
  3. Dexter Coakley. Came from the Cowgirls. Yeah he was pretty much done too.
  4. Lorenzo Styles
  5. Todd Collins
  6. Jamie Duncan. Ex Buc, tended to suck.
  7. Robert Jones. Another Cowpuke
  8. Chris Martin
  9. Don Davis
  10. Henry Rolling
Some high draft picks that left, or flamed out, (Round in parenthesis):
  1. Robert Thomas (1)
  2. Kevin McLain (1)
  3. Frank Stams (2)
  4. Tommy Polley (2)
  5. Brian Smith (2)
  6. Brian Allen (3)
Most Likely to be Apprehended on a Friday Night: Ray Ray Armstrong

There we have it. Next list: CORNERBACKS :cheers:

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I will never forget the pic in the playoffs by Isaiah Robertson I believe it won us the game. My single greatest defensive memory as a kid.
Sack Youngblood playing with the broken leg was also a great memory. 25 sacks and 25 pics not bad for a LB

Todd59

Rookie
London Fletcher was my favorite player back in the GSOT era. The dude was only here for a short time, but he was a player. Tough, smart, with a nose for the football. It's a shame he didn't stick around longer, considering all the other MLBs the Rams went through trying to fill his shoes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Need to give Ogletree more time and he might surpass the others, but Isiah "Butch" Robertson was amazing even though I was very young when I watched him play. London was great, but how can you not vote for a guy that hack sawed an automobile in half? And Kevin Greene was the Clay Matthews of yesteryear and was better.
HacksawLA2.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll go with the "3 R's!" Robertson - Reynolds - Richter!! I Can't believe so Far I'm the only one taking Hall of Famer Les Richter!!!!!!
Great List of LB's though!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds 70-80 (2) He was a tough MLB all the way through the Seventies for us. Then he went to shower with the boys of San Francisco.:rant:
This was possibly the worst thing that ever happened to the Rams "D"!!!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I will never forget the pic in the playoffs by Isaiah Robertson I believe it won us the game. My single greatest defensive memory as a kid.
Sack Youngblood playing with the broken leg was also a great memory. 25 sacks and 25 pics not bad for a LB

Wrong Youngblood. ;)
Jack Youngblood the DE played on the broken leg.
Jim Youngblood the LB did not.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Very little love for Laurinitis on this ranking. He is the Rams all time leading tackler, and hasn't missed a game in his career, and the QB of the defense. I'd say he's way too low on the list.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very little love for Laurinitis on this ranking. He is the Rams all time leading tackler, and hasn't missed a game in his career, and the QB of the defense. I'd say he's way too low on the list.

Fair enough Horns. It is hard to quantify standards for these lists. But I respect your opinion. You could argue for James being as high as 5-7 I suppose. I like him myself. I just felt those other guys were a bit better or had more accomplishments.

Maybe it is more a testimony to our history.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
How about Mike Wilcher...at least worth a mention.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
How about Mike Wilcher...at least worth a mention.

Oooooh! I had Wilcher on my list and somehow he got lost in the shuffle transferring onto the final list. Loved Wilcher 83-90! 38 sacks. 4 picks. :icare:I had him around 14, after Laurinitis and before Mike Jones. Push Andrews to HM. :yess: ....and....I think we're good here. :snicker::huh::palm:

London59

Rookie
Name
London59

His tackles are all 7 yds or more downfield because he can't diagnose a play or get off blocks like other linebackers. He doesn't miss games because he doesn't hit anyone hard and as a result remains healthy. I honestly can't remember one tackle he made where I said wow.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Roman Phifer deserves some love here. It's too bad he missed the GSOT by one season and the Rams let him get away, although he got his SB rings later.
Those last few Rams dark years in LA had some good & great players. Bettis, Phifer, Bruce, Toby Wright, Todd Kinchen, Todd Lyght, Tony Zendejas, Sean Landetta...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too funny list...
Forget the famous blow he took from Earl Campbell. He was a tough SOB. And a ball hawk.
Sorry....I can't....I was a young player....and to this day, I hate defenders that look to arm tackle and won't lower their shoulders to deliver a blow.

Isiah "Butch" Robertson was amazing even though I was very young when I watched him play.
See above coach....And, yeah I get he was one of our first athletic LB's....I'm a Hacksaw guy....Ekern...I loved the Flyin Hawaiian, Phifer, Polley....and I love Ogletree. Jim Youngblood was a solid player...Hope we draft a good one this year...Maybe that guy from Auburn...Cassanova. Love to get the guy from ND. Plug him in next to Tree & Ayers...Bunch of young LB's coming out that could help.
hasn't missed a game in his career,
Like someone said above... I know why...hasn't hit hard in 3-4 years now....complete waste of space...living off his laurels...we're playing 10 on 11....well, our Defensive QB is just like the offensive QB....

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Too funny list...
Sorry....I can't....I was a young player....and to this day, I hate defenders that look to arm tackle and won't lower their shoulders to deliver a blow.

See above coach....And, yeah I get he was one of our first athletic LB's....I'm a Hacksaw guy....Ekern...I loved the Flyin Hawaiian, Phifer, Polley....and I love Ogletree. Jim Youngblood was a solid player...Hope we draft a good one this year...Maybe that guy from Auburn...Cassanova. Love to get the guy from ND. Plug him in next to Tree & Ayers...Bunch of young LB's coming out that could help.
Like someone said above... I know why...hasn't hit hard in 3-4 years now....complete waste of space...living off his laurels...we're playing 10 on 11....well, our Defensive QB is just like the offensive QB....

Champ. I like some of your comments. I'm curious how you'd go 1-10?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Too funny list...

What...funny like a clown? Do I amuse you?:cool:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Myron Pottios was a 3 time pro bowler during the 60's. I think he should be on that list too. I remember that name as a kid.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Myron Pottios was a 3 time pro bowler during the 60's. I think he should be on that list too. I remember that name as a kid.

Yeah. I almost had him in Honorable mention. His 3 Pro Bowls were his first 3 years with the Steelers. He was with us from 66-70.