Top Ten All Time Ram GUARDS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WHICH PAIR OF GUARDS WOULD YOU LOVE TO HAVE AT THEIR PRIME TODAY?

• Tom Newberry and Duval Love

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Aren't top ten lists a kick in the pants? I've always kind of been a sucker for lists and statistics. I guess that's why I was so ticked off, aside from losing to those wretched whiners last week, we conceded to being the #32 offense. Offensive.

On to the guards. The Rams have been blessed to have some pretty amazing guards over the years. It is one of those positions some guys spent some time at tackle or center in their career, so I generally put them here if guard was their primary, or in some cases BEST position.

Again, the criteria: excellence, longevity with the Rams and participation in great and championship teams were considered. (And I tried to do a little more homework on the older guys! Hat tip to '51!)(y)

TOP TEN RAM GUARDS OF ALL TIME

1. Tom Mack
  2. Dennis Harrah
  3. Joe Scibelli
  4. Duane Putnam
  5. Adam Timmerman
  6. Tom Newberry
  7. Kent Hill
  8. Riley Matheson
  9. Tom Nutten
  10. Duval Love
Honorable mention: Roger Saffold, Dick Dougherty, Bill Bain.

I think we may have a couple new entries to this list on our roster right in a few years. Deep list huh?

Quick question. Mike Schad. 1st round pick. Canada. Why?

Next installment: TACKLES :cheers:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hands down Harrah & Hill not even close for the other duo's.

Rodger Saffold would NEVER get close :mad:to the 8 Ram OG listed above!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That was my vote too. Saffold was only relegated to an HM. Notice Matheson up there @#8. :cool: I think we saw just enough of Roger healthy at guard to know he can be dominant, but not enough to see good results.

We may see a Brown/Wichman combination get themselves into this conversation some day. :yess:

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Gurley would rack up some serious numbers with Harrah and Hill in front of him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.......Saffold was only relegated to an HM. :cool: I think we saw just enough of Roger healthy at guard to know he can be dominant, but not enough to see good results.
This only my opinion here & i have only two working brain cells. The only time I ever observe Rodger Saffold dominant was back in 2013 for just five games @ right OG.

I have seen nothing close to an effective consistent working Ram OG out of Rodger Saffold in the 2014 nor 2015 seasons. I prefer OG Garrett Reynolds over Rodger Saffold @ OLG myself. The only value I see in Rodger Saffold in 2016 is assisting GRob @ OLT in 2016.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Although he was a Tackle most of his career Slater should get an HM because he Played OG Too!!:D:D

Slater5.jpg

But I'll still stick w/ Mack

TmackLA.jpg
Mack6.jpg

And Scibelli

Scibelli1.jpg

Then again their are some good memories w/ these Guys!!:rolllaugh:(Below)

Timmerman4.jpg

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great photos Dave. I'm a little surprised Mack and Scibelli aren't getting a little more love.
As you pointed out, by virtue of your list, the Rams had some GREAT individual OG's. But, to me as a tandem, who played together a lot, I don't think you can beat Mack & Scibelli!!(y)JMHO

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree with you there

Mack & Scibelli sez hello

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Went with Harrah too, but yeah. Shows how blessed this franchise has been for so long on that OL. Let's get back to that Fish!!!

Will Wichmann & Brown be on a list someday? Sure hope so, for our sakes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: Newberry as I look at that list and find myself reminiscing... I remember reading an article in the paper after they drafted him about his freakish wing span and being excited to see another Rams great starting his career. Kind of feel sorry for him, must have been painful to oversee the dismantling of greatness as the Rams failed to replace the previous generation around him through failed draft picks and general inattention to the line.

Remember towards the end them trying to replace him with guys like Loneker. So damn sad.