Top Ten All Time Ram DEFENSIVE TACKLES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which Foursome Is Most Fearsome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Though not as deep as Defensive End in the Rams history, Defensive Tackle may have 2 of the most impressive players to ever wear horns. One past, and one present.;)

I just compiled one list of ten, with a number of honorable mentions, to keep the talent level high. I do have also a list of notable players, for one interesting reason or another. An impressive 25! Pro Bowls, the majority coming from our first entry, will be noted in parenthesis.:popcorn:

Top Ten All Time Ram DEFENSIVE TACKLES:
  1. Merlin Olson. 62-76 (14) He was pure class after the whistle, then he'd rip your head off when play resumed. :shocked:
  2. Larry Brooks. 72-82 (5) One of the most underrated players of his time, in the shadow of Olson, much like Dryer was overshadowed by Youngblood.
  3. :bow:Aaron Donald. 14-15 (2) Only two years into his career. How can I place this man any lower?
  4. Michael Brockers. 12-15 Like Donald, I scan the list, either guys aren't as good, or weren't Rams long enough.
  5. Rosey Grier. 63-66. Traded to the Rams in '63, to pair with Olson on the inside, Deacon Jones and Lamar Lundy on the outside to form the Fearsome Foursome.
  6. Roger Brown 67-69. (1) Took over for Grier inside when injuries cut short Grier's time with the Rams.
  7. D'Marco Farr. 94-00 Languished on some bad teams, then got a ring! A lot like Donald in size and technique. Not quite in talent. But he was quick.
  8. Sean Gilbert. 92-95 (1) Had some success, then left for the Foreskins.
  9. Mike Fanning. 75-82 Drafted to take Olson's place. Teamed with Brooks for a while.
  10. Greg Meisner. 81-88 A solid player throughout the 80's.
Honorable Mention: Jeff Zgonina, Ryan Pickett, Ray Agnew, Shaun Miller, Alvin Wright

Notable Players:
  • Phil Olson 71-74 Remember the "brother option" in Little League? Yeah Merlin's brother spent a few years cheering big brother from the sidelines.:effemine:
  • Gene Lipscomb. "Big Daddy" would have made the list, but his Pro Bowls were with the Colts, then he became a pro wrestler. Sad, he died in the mid sixties of a heroine overdose.
  • Nate Hobgood-Chiddick. (n) I got nothin'.
  • John LaVetere. Traded to the Giants for Grier in '63.
  • Notable high Round busts: Bill Hawkins, Damione Lewis, Jimmy Kennedy, Mark Boutte, Mike Piel.:palm:
Next list: LINEBACKERS :cheers:

diggity

Rookie
The combo of Olsen and Brooks was incredible. So, automatically....those two are the best. That D-line with Dryer and Youngblood was just so much fun to watch.
J.M.H.O.
And, after just his short time in the NFL...Donald is on the list too!
GO RAMS!!!!!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Funny but you didn't even list the original "Fearsome Fousome"

C'mon man!!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Youngblood was the man, but that line with Dryer opposite wasn't nearly as dominant as the Olsen - Jones led Fearsome Foursome.

Both lines were before my time admittedly, but I try to appreciate the franchise history.
I think many voters might remember them better, just based on age and exposure to them.

If I'm incorrect please school me up!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Also, a healthy Quinn with Donald might be as gifted as any pair of those guys. It's just difficult in today's age of free agency for guys to play together that long.

I really hope Quinns issues are behind him going forward. I think people might not appreciate just how incredible he is.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

C'mon man!!!!

Yeah, thanks for the note OC. I did list the original Fearsome Foursome in the poll. I hope you voted. :) The focus of this list is just the interior guys, But you make a good point. let's see it: DE Deacon Jones DT Merlin Olson DT Rosie Grier/Roger Brown DE Lamar Lundy.

Quite the intimidating force. Of course in that day there were a number of teams, as the AFL and NFL leagues were transitioning, named "Fearsome Foursome." But this is the group where the name stuck.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
You listed the original?

Uh no you didn't (and you still haven't)

Better do a history check my friend, pretty sure Brown wasn't a ram in '63 (the year the fearsome foursome was coined, with the Rams at least)

Brown was acquired a few years later and in fact did replace Rosie

But of course I'm sure you know that

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

C'mon man!!!!

Hey Bro. Scan the original post. I list the Grier/Brown transition in '67. Mostly due to Grier's injuries.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Though not as deep as Defensive End in the Rams history, Defensive Tackle may have 2 of the most impressive players to ever wear horns. One past, and one present.;)

I just compiled one list of ten, with a number of honorable mentions, to keep the talent level high. I do have also a list of notable players, for one interesting reason or another. An impressive 25! Pro Bowls, the majority coming from our first entry, will be noted in parenthesis.:popcorn:

Top Ten All Time Ram DEFENSIVE TACKLES:
  1. Merlin Olson. 62-76 (14) He was pure class after the whistle, then he'd rip your head off when play resumed. :shocked:
  2. Larry Brooks. 72-82 (5) One of the most underrated players of his time, in the shadow of Olson, much like Dryer was overshadowed by Youngblood.
  3. :bow:Aaron Donald. 14-15 (2) Only two years into his career. How can I place this man any lower?
  4. Michael Brockers. 12-15 Like Donald, I scan the list, either guys aren't as good, or weren't Rams long enough.
  5. Rosey Grier. 63-66. Traded to the Rams in '63, to pair with Olson on the inside, Deacon Jones and Lamar Lundy on the outside to form the Fearsome Foursome.
  6. Roger Brown 67-69. (1) Took over for Grier inside when injuries cut short Grier's time with the Rams.
  7. D'Marco Farr. 94-00 Languished on some bad teams, then got a ring! A lot like Donald in size and technique. Not quite in talent. But he was quick.
  8. Sean Gilbert. 92-95 (1) Had some success, then left for the Foreskins.
  9. Mike Fanning. 75-82 Drafted to take Olson's place. Teamed with Brooks for a while.
  10. Greg Meisner. 81-88 A solid player throughout the 80's.
Honorable Mention: Jeff Zgonina, Ryan Pickett, Ray Agnew, Shaun Miller, Alvin Wright

Notable Players:
  • Phil Olson 71-74 Remember the "brother option" in Little League? Yeah Merlin's brother spent a few years cheering big brother from the sidelines.:effemine:
  • Gene Lipscomb. "Big Daddy" would have made the list, but his Pro Bowls were with the Colts, then he became a pro wrestler. Sad, he died in the mid sixties of a heroine overdose.
  • Nate Hobgood-Chiddick. (n) I got nothin'.
  • John LaVetere. Traded to the Giants for Grier in '63.
  • Notable high Round busts: Bill Hawkins, Damione Lewis, Jimmy Kennedy, Mark Boutte, Mike Piel.:palm:
Next list: LINEBACKERS :cheers:
Great List!! You absolutely NAILED #1 #2 and #3 No doubt about it!!!!(y)(y)(y):D:D:D

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Hey Bro. Scan the original post. I list the Grier/Brown transition in '67. Mostly due to Grier's injuries.

Let it go Roman (wa, wa wait a minute...Roman?...aw hell, lol

My original post was spot on, you did NOT list the Original Rams fearsome foursome in your poll ( and you still haven't)

Has nothing to do with the accompaning post (as far as my comment)

That is all

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Let it go Roman (wa, wa wait a minute...Roman?...aw hell, lol

My original post was spot on, you did NOT list the Original Rams fearsome foursome in your poll ( and you still haven't)

Has nothing to do with the accompaning post (as far as my comment)

That is all

OC, what is your deal man? Let it go? Take your own advice. Why so contentious? Just having some fun here.

I'm a big boy. But I love ROD because the guys don't come here looking to take shots at each other.

I don't think we need to be dying on some hill. I get it. I should have put Brown in the poll! Are we good here?

Last edited:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I should have put Brown in the poll!

You actually did (see 1st choice)

My point all along is you did not list the LA Rams original "Fearsome Foursome" in the poll.

This is really silly, I'm done with it, would have been nice if you would have acknowledged my point but oh well.

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
You actually did (see 1st choice)

My point all along is you did not list the LA Rams original "Fearsome Foursome" in the poll.

This is really silly, I'm done with it, would have been nice if you would have acknowledged my point but oh well.

Yeah. I did. And I noted that Grier was original. And I gave years. And I put Brown in the poll instead of Grier because that was when their success really took off. I thought that was the stronger option for the poll.

Mine is just an opinion though. I've made lots of errors. I was too young to see these guys.

So what WAS your point? I wasn't avoiding acknowledging anything.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, a healthy Quinn with Donald might be as gifted as any pair of those guys. It's just difficult in today's age of free agency for guys to play together that long.

I really hope Quinns issues are behind him going forward. I think people might not appreciate just how incredible he is.
speaking of health, the line of youngblood, olsen, brooks & dryer missed 17 total games in their combined careers. other than brooks, the other 3 went 10+ years each without missing a game without having the advantage of physical / medicinal / equipment advancements of where the game is today. and sadly yes, due to free agency, DL lines like this will never see this type of longevity ever again.