Top Ten All Time Ram CENTERS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who Was the Greatest Ram Center of All Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Well, here we are gentlemen. The off season.

What's that you say? Still games to be played?

By whom I might ask?! I don't see no horns, boy!

As I started to say. The off season. It doesn't have to hurt. I will be starting a new series today. I would love everyone's input. Or maybe correction. Or perhaps the occasionsional good swift kick, when necessary. :argue: (Let me know if you think I missed someone) (y)

My view. I will select the position. Considerations: greatness, longevity in service to the Rams, playoff and championship contributions, and when desperate enough, I will ask myself, "did this guy ever lay a really good hit on a 49er?"

Now. Without further ado:

THE TOP TEN RAM CENTERS OF ALL TIME
  1. Rich Saul
  2. Doug Smith
  3. Ken Iman
  4. Andy McCollum
  5. Bern Brostek
  6. Mike Gruttadauria
  7. Don Paul
  8. Ritchie Incognito
  9. Scott Wells
  10. Jason Brown
Honorable mention: Chris Massey, Tim Barnes, Tony Slaton.

I'll probably get blasted for some of the lower half guys. But look for yourself! We were spoiled by longevity. The Wells runs dry pretty quickly. (You see what I did there?) and From 1965-2007 we had Iman (10) Saul (12) Smith (14) Brostek (8) and McCollom (9) almost seamlessly pass the torch to each other.

I started with Center, because, well that is the foundation. Next installment: QUARTERBACK. :cheers:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. Remember the good ol' days when we regularly had 2-3 pro bowlers on the OL? I need to research the number of pro bowls these guys earned...

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Yeah. Remember the good ol' days when we regularly had 2-3 pro bowlers on the OL? I need to research the number of pro bowls these guys earned...

Amen brother. I miss the days when the offensive line defined this team. It's been a dozen years since we've seen a healthy, effective OLine.

I'm grateful the DLine compares favorably with the Fearsone Four and I think the talent recently acquired on the OLine can ascend to competency, but even if all players reached their potentials, they couldn't surpass the performances in the heydays of Saul and Smith.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I'm only a Rams guy since they moved to StL, so I voted McCullum. I don't count Incognito because he was really a G. Other than that, nobody really merits a positive mention.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah I only was able to watch McCollum. So voted him. It was fun to watch him, Timmerman and Pace all on the same line.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The end of Sauls career was when I started watching football so I don't know much about him. I went with Doug Smith. He anchored some damn fine run and pass blocking lines. Especially 1983 and 84.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pro Bowls:
C Rich Saul (6) 1976-1981
C Doug Smith (6) 1984-1989

That's it!
So from 1976-1989 we had a pro bowl center for all but 2 years. Lots of guards and tackles in other years. But that was essentially it for Center. Nothing before or since.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, here we are gentlemen. The off season.

What's that you say? Still games to be played?

By whom I might ask?! I don't see no horns, boy!

As I started to say. The off season. It doesn't have to hurt. I will be starting a new series today. I would love everyone's input. Or maybe correction. Or perhaps the occasionsional good swift kick, when necessary. :argue: (Let me know if you think I missed someone) (y)

My view. I will select the position. Considerations: greatness, longevity in service to the Rams, playoff and championship contributions, and when desperate enough, I will ask myself, "did this guy ever lay a really good hit on a 49er?"

Now. Without further ado:

THE TOP TEN RAM CENTERS OF ALL TIME
  1. Rich Saul
  2. Doug Smith
  3. Ken Iman
  4. Andy McCollum
  5. Bern Brostek
  6. Mike Gruttadauria
  7. Don Paul
  8. Ritchie Incognito
  9. Scott Wells
  10. Jason Brown
Honorable mention: Chris Massey, Tim Barnes, Tony Slaton.

I'll probably get blasted for some of the lower half guys. But look for yourself! We were spoiled by longevity. The Wells runs dry pretty quickly. (You see what I did there?) and From 1965-2007 we had Iman (10) Saul (12) Smith (14) Brostek (8) and McCollom (9) almost seamlessly pass the torch to each other.

I started with Center, because, well that is the foundation. Next installment: QUARTERBACK. :cheers:
I have to "POLITELY!! " Disagree!! Having seen them all play The top three, in order!! Should be:

#1 - Ken Iman
#2 - Rich Saul
#3 - Doug Smith
IF I had to grade them, the point difference would be "Microscopic!!" They were all GREAT!! But I'm looking at what their respective QB's did with them at center!!

addon.jpg