Top end QB talent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I remember when Brett Farve's career was winding down, while most people were sick of his on/off retirement, I tried to savour those final performances.

Looking at the top quarterbacks in the league, it's time to do the same with these guys.

Peyton Manning 39
Tom Brady 38
Drew Brees 36
Tony Romo 35
Eli Manning 34
Phillip Rivers 33
Ben Roethlisberger 33

Is the rate of in-bound stars going to keep up with these retiring elite players?

I think it's safe to put Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck in the tier that will replace these guys... But who else? Matt Ryan? Cam Newton? Wussle?

It sure seems the position is lacking that top end talent under 32 compared to that list of HOF candidates.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The future belongs to Mannion

Funny story
I met Brett Farve when he was a rookie and playing back up QB for Jerry Glanville in Atlanta when they had come in to play the Rams. They stayed at Hyatt and I was recruited to work there as a waiter after serving the GM of the hotel at another restaurant -- but the manager of the new restaurant in the Hyatt hated me. It was my first week and I had left a great job where I was adored for this new place - well here comes Merlin Olsen and being a huge Ram fan I let him know, so he signs me an autograph for me and I'm totally thankful. So over the course of the shift I meet tons of players and they all sign the same paper that Merlin Olsen signed - one of the guys I met was Favre and we talked for a bit - I knew he was a backup and never thought he'd be the hall of gamer he was.

Well I get to the back and show the autographs to the line cook - a cool dude named Jamaal - and he asks if he could have it to give to his boy - of course I said Yes and gave it to him

At the end of the shift I was fired for soliciting autographs !! I tries to explain it was Merlin's fault but to no avail -- I was fired

Anyway - I hope that kid held on to that piece of paper!!!

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, I don't think the incoming QBs will be as good as the outgoing...at least not for while.

The media sure wants to put Wilson in that category. Not there yet, IMO.

Newton, definitely NOT. Elite QB's don't fight their own teammates. His stats aren't elite, either

Ryan is a maybe/probably. He's show he can put up great stats and is a leader. The rest of his team just needs to improve so he can get over the hump.

Stafford is pretty close but I'm not sure about him.

If you want a sleeper for the future, I might throw Bridgewater in there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
We have a year or two until they start to retire and when they start we'll see a couple at a time. Also aside from the top 2 on the list it's not like those guys have been all world every year of their career. Brees had a 3 or 4 year stretch that he was amazing and the years before and after that he's been rather average. Same can be said for the rest of the list, aside from maybe Big Ben. This issue seems to be cyclical and we always come through it with a handful of quality QB's to watch. We already have Luck in the league to watch he'll likely assume the mantle when Brady and Peyton retire. We have a handful of young QB's including the top 2 picked this year, and guys recently like Bridgewater, Carr and Wilson who could continue to develop and take a spot on the list. And while I'm not a draft guru like some, I read that this 2016 QB draft class has a few gems in it. In the end I think we'll be just fine but it's always a question mark, which QB will step up on the list of the very good QB's in the NFL and will one on my team do it?

nighttrain

Legend
I remember when Brett Farve's career was winding down, while most people were sick of his on/off retirement, I tried to savour those final performances.

Looking at the top quarterbacks in the league, it's time to do the same with these guys.

Peyton Manning 39
Tom Brady 38
Drew Brees 36
Tony Romo 35
Eli Manning 34
Phillip Rivers 33
Ben Roethlisberger 33

Is the rate of in-bound stars going to keep up with these retiring elite players?

I think it's safe to put Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck in the tier that will replace these guys... But who else? Matt Ryan? Cam Newton? Wussle?

It sure seems the position is lacking that top end talent under 32 compared to that list of HOF candidates.

I'm gonna hope Nick Foles makes elite list, he's proven he's capable
train

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
College football is not doing the NFL any favors. More and more colleges are going to a spread and as defenses in the NFL continue to get faster the spread is not as effective in the NFL. Bad habits are being developed and taught in college and these same QB's are being forced to start on day 1. It's a bad combo.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The problem in my mind is the fact that QBs aren't developed. In college they teach them one read options and then they get drafted and have to start right away. The other problem is that it seems the way a QB runs is as important as decision making and arm mechanics to coaches. It's rare enough to find a guy who can stay unrattled in the pocket, move in the pocket and make good decisions while delivering a catchable ball in a consistent manner. Now you want them to outrun the RBs as well. Give me a statue who can make his throws and knows how to play the position over an athlete who happens to play QB any day.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Peyton Manning 39
Tom Brady 38
Drew Brees 36
Tony Romo 35
Eli Manning 34
Phillip Rivers 33
Ben Roethlisberger 33

I here you , CGI, But you'll never catch me 'Savoring' anything Brady or Romo does! That's just me!

fearsomefour

Legend
Blue4 hit a big part of it on the head.
There are less and less team running pro style offenses, although, that may change in the future.
A college coaches job is to win, not to develop guys for the next level. A guy like Newton that cannot be bothered to clean up his crappy foot work is hard to put on the list for me. He could develop into a top level guy.
To me it breaks down into a couple of categories....
The established great guys that are younger than the guys winding down....Rogers and Luck are in that category.
Guys with the physical tools but lack polish or technique or other things to put it all together.....I would put Newton, Kaperdoodle and Bradford in that category.
Guys who are solid now and may make the jump to being top level guys....Tannehill, Wilson, Stafford, Ryan, Dalton, Foles, Carr
The next group are young guys that are still developing but that in my humble opinion have a shot at being very good.... EJ Manuel (I know, I know....I like Manuel quite a bit), Bridgewater.
So, after the old guys....

Rogers
Luck
--------
Tannehill
Wilson
Stafford
Ryan
Carr
Foles
Dalton
-------
Newton
Kapperdoodle
Bradford
-------
Bridgewater
Manuel

Out of that list I think Carr, Stafford have the best shot at being top level guys. I think with Carr it is almost unavoidable if he can stay healthy. Wilson has already proven his metal. Stafford has all the talent in the world as does Ryan and Tannehill....can they put it together and be consistent?
Newton, Kap and Bradford can be vexing. As a pure passer Bradford is one of the most talented guys around, but, we know his story. Kap may be the most physically talented QB to ever play, well, at least since Elway. Which is who he reminds me of in terms of physical ability. But, he is a 100 miles away from putting it together. Newton is another very talented guy who still has not cleaned up his technique.
I like Bridgewater quite a bit and hope he can develop. I like Manuel as well and I don't understand how he may not be starting in Buffalo.
There are some guys that kind of fall in-between who may put together a late run in their careers...Cutler, Fitzpatrick and the like. Fitzpatrick may actually give the Jets a shot at winning some games which Smith could not.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Blue4 hit a big part of it on the head.
There are less and less team running pro style offenses, although, that may change in the future.
A college coaches job is to win, not to develop guys for the next level. A guy like Newton that cannot be bothered to clean up his crappy foot work is hard to put on the list for me. He could develop into a top level guy.
To me it breaks down into a couple of categories....
The established great guys that are younger than the guys winding down....Rogers and Luck are in that category.
Guys with the physical tools but lack polish or technique or other things to put it all together.....I would put Newton, Kaperdoodle and Bradford in that category.
Guys who are solid now and may make the jump to being top level guys....Tannehill, Wilson, Stafford, Ryan, Dalton, Foles, Carr
The next group are young guys that are still developing but that in my humble opinion have a shot at being very good.... EJ Manuel (I know, I know....I like Manuel quite a bit), Bridgewater.
So, after the old guys....

Rogers
Luck
--------
Tannehill
Wilson
Stafford
Ryan
Carr
Foles
Dalton
-------
Newton
Kapperdoodle
Bradford
-------
Bridgewater
Manuel

Out of that list I think Carr, Stafford have the best shot at being top level guys. I think with Carr it is almost unavoidable if he can stay healthy. Wilson has already proven his metal. Stafford has all the talent in the world as does Ryan and Tannehill....can they put it together and be consistent?
Newton, Kap and Bradford can be vexing. As a pure passer Bradford is one of the most talented guys around, but, we know his story. Kap may be the most physically talented QB to ever play, well, at least since Elway. Which is who he reminds me of in terms of physical ability. But, he is a 100 miles away from putting it together. Newton is another very talented guy who still has not cleaned up his technique.
I like Bridgewater quite a bit and hope he can develop. I like Manuel as well and I don't understand how he may not be starting in Buffalo.
There are some guys that kind of fall in-between who may put together a late run in their careers...Cutler, Fitzpatrick and the like. Fitzpatrick may actually give the Jets a shot at winning some games which Smith could not.

I like Carr a lot as well.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I think Carr will be a star for many years I was hoping we drafted either him or Garoppolo.

V3

Hall of Fame
train
That'd be nice but I don't think any QB will be elite under Fisher. It's just not what he does. He runs the football and plays defense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
As far as elite quarterbacks go? I have to say that after the other guys retire, Rodgers (who really isn't that young himself) and Luck are going to be tops. Then guys like Tannehill, Stafford, Newton, Ryan, Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles (yes, I do think that Bortles is a better quarterback than people think he is), and Mariota are going to be the next best after that. Winston could be in the latter group if he gains a lot more maturity.

And then there are the potential 2016 quarterbacks in the future.

A55VA6

Legend
train
Me too. Looking at Foles stats in Philly, almost 7,000 yards with 46 TD and 17 INT's. That's impressive but only a sample size. While I expect average, I'm hoping for Pro bowl type play for sure.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not ready to anoint Derek Carr.

He had a good rookie year, but still a 76 rating.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Peyton Manning 39
Tom Brady 38
Drew Brees 36
Tony Romo 35
Eli Manning 34
Phillip Rivers 33
Ben Roethlisberger 33

When you put it this way this currently is the golden age for QBs.

Like in the 2000s you had young Peyton, Tom, Brett Favre, and who else? Donovan McNabb? Kurt Warner didn't have a consistent long tenure anywhere. Daunte Culpepper and Marc Bulger?

I honestly cannot thing of any other really good QBs in the 2000s.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
It's almost unfair the tenure at QB that Green Bay and Indy have and will continue to enjoy. What a huge advantage!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I really like Carr. I really liked what I saw of Garropolo - but we'll see there. Bridgewater seems to have a ton of talent also.

I guess with these guys its always "wait and see" until they actually do it - or not, because of all the intangibles that can go wrong. Injury is the fastest way to remove yourself from this list....

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not ready to anoint Derek Carr.

He had a good rookie year, but still a 76 rating.

Kinda reminds me of Bradford's rookie year. But it looks like they're actually acquiring more talent for Carr than the Rams did for Bradford. Carr might be in a better position to succeed.