Top-5 offseason moves for the St. Louis Rams…so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Top-5 offseason moves for the St. Louis Rams…so far

By Ted Bryant
May 22, 2014

http://cover32.com/rams/2014/05/22/top-5-offseason-moves-for-the-st-louis-rams-so-far/

With the acquisitions part of the NFL offseason all but completed, I thought I’d attempt to rank the top five offseason moves the Rams have made in 2014. It’s fairly comprehensive, as the team made some big headlines via the draft, free agency, contract extensions and some surprise internal hires. Let’s get started:

5. Drafting Michael Sam

The Rams made international headlines in the final round of the recently completed draft by selecting Sam, the first openly gay player to be selected into the NFL. As a seventh-round pick, Sam has his work cut out for him in regards to making the team’s final roster. However, his collegiate credentials shouldn’t go underestimated. The co-SEC Defensive Player of the Year racked up 10.5 sacks and 18 tackles for a loss in his senior season at MIssouri.

4. The Saffold Fiasco

In the time leading up to the start of free agency, the Rams’ ability to re-sign guard/tackle Rodger Saffold was widely considered to be the key to the rest of the 2014 offseason. As it turned out, his return to the team wasn’t as big a guarantee as many assumed. Saffold accepted a five year, $42.5 million deal with the Raiders, and all of the sudden the interior of the Rams’ offensive line was a very major question mark. However, perhaps after realizing the huge amount of money they were pegged to invest, the Raiders opted out of the deal after failing Saffold’s physical, citing concerns over his shoulder. He’d then return to the Rams on a five-year, $31 million deal in one of the more confusing free agent ordeals of recent memory.

3. Rams Stand Pat in First Round

With two first round picks in their back pocket (thanks, Washington!), the direction the Rams would take with each was a subject of mass conjecture for the entirety of the offseason leading up to the draft. Some wanted South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, some (me) wanted Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, and others wanted the Rams to continue their trend of trading back and collecting picks. However, the smart pick was always going to be staying at 2 and selecting Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson, and the Rams did just that. The surprise came with their second first-round pick, no. 13 overall, where they took Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald. Donald’s addition could (should) make this defensive line the best in the league.

2. Hiring Gregg Williams

Whether you loved former defensive coordinator Tim Walton or hated him, his sacking in February certainly surprised many. What was even more surprising was the man head coach Jeff Fisher pegged to replace him, Gregg Williams. As you’ll remember, Williams was booted from NFL sidelines after his involvement in the Saints “Bountygate” scandal after being brought in by Fisher in his first year on the job. After serving his suspension and working in a consultant role with the Tennessee Titans, Williams was swiftly brought back into the fold out of the blue. His aggressive style combined with the talent available on the Rams’ defense should make it an exciting unit to watch in 2014.

1. Rams Option Quinn

One of the subtler events in an offseason full of headlines, the team picking up the 2015 option on defensive end Robert Quinn is number one on our list of the most important events of the Rams’ offseason at this point. Quinn is emerging as one of (if not the) best defensive players in the league, and he is only beginning to enter his prime. The PFWA Defensive Player of the Year will surely command a truckload of money when his rookie contract is up, and for the Rams to be able to keep him for one more year guaranteed at a price well below what he’s worth was an easy decision for team brass. The Rams defensive line single-handedly kept the team in games at times last season, and it now looks to be just as loaded for the next two years at least.

jjab360

Legend
I don't see how picking up Quinn's option could be seen as the best move of the offseason. I've never seen a bigger no-brainer in my life.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
1. Williams signing
2. 1st round of draft
3. Bringing saffold back
4. Michael sam
5. Quinn option

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
1. Gregg Williams
2. Aaron Donald
3. re-signing Saffold
4. Greg Robinson
5. LaMarcus Joyner

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Sorry but drafting a 7th round pick does not qualify as a Top 5 offseason move just because it has historical value. I think our early round picks earned a spot on this list if anybody does.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
1. Greg Robinson
2. Aaron Donald
3. Lamarcus Joyner
4. Tre Mason
5. Mo Alexander

The rest such as Gregg Williams, Quinn, Saffold, and Carrington just fell right in place as they were intended to. :sneaky:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd put signing Carrington ahead of drafting M. Sam. As far as significance to the team drafting Sam could end up have minimal impact when it comes to success.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't see how picking up Quinn's option could be seen as the best move of the offseason. I've never seen a bigger no-brainer in my life.

I agree, it's hardly even a move, it was more like a prerequisite. The only way it would have been big is if the Rams were stupid enough to turn it down.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Sorry but drafting a 7th round pick does not qualify as a Top 5 offseason move just because it has historical value. I think our early round picks earned a spot on this list if anybody does.
I agree, he's not even guaranteed a spot on the roster yet.

Although, an argument could be made that by drafting him the Rams fan base did grow with the addition of the M.Sam supporters and part of the gay community. I'm guessing that helps the team in someway in profit, I don't know.

Hopefully, that means more national televised games for the rams, because I can't afford direct TV, lol.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm betting by the end of the season the britt signing will be #1.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I agree, he's not even guaranteed a spot on the roster yet.

Although, an argument could be made that by drafting him the Rams fan base did grow with the addition of the M.Sam supporters and part of the gay community. I'm guessing that helps the team in someway in profit, I don't know.

Hopefully, that means more national televised games for the rams, because I can't afford direct TV, lol.

That's true. I guess the second highest selling jersey doesn't hurt to have.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think the Sam signing is one of the top off-season moves for the Rams - ok technically he is another player in another draft but because of his sexuality he is different, I imagine the media fuss has been crazy States side but the guy SHOULD have gone higher to a team that needed a proven DE, we don't actually need help, but the depth does help - but I love the comment that Fisher did (apologies I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the quote) it was something like - "we were surprised he was still there in the 7th, DE wasn't a priority for us, unlike some other teams" - it was a cutting put down to the teams that DIDN'T draft him.

As as Ramrast mentioned having the second highest selling jersey isn't a bitter pill to swallow ;)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Is really like 3 fucking months till September ?

It's gonna seem like forever.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the Sam signing is one of the top off-season moves for the Rams - ok technically he is another player in another draft but because of his sexuality he is different, I imagine the media fuss has been crazy States side but the guy SHOULD have gone higher to a team that needed a proven DE, we don't actually need help, but the depth does help - but I love the comment that Fisher did (apologies I'm paraphrasing because I can't find the quote) it was something like - "we were surprised he was still there in the 7th, DE wasn't a priority for us, unlike some other teams" - it was a cutting put down to the teams that DIDN'T draft him.

As as Ramrast mentioned having the second highest selling jersey isn't a bitter pill to swallow ;)

I agree Fisher was rubbing other teams nose in the fact that they didn't pick him. If in fact he really was a guy that would have gone in the 4th then it's a steal.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Re: Signing Quinn being on the list. If they didn't include it for being the obvious move, I could see people protesting that because it is still THE most impactful move of the offseason. So I would have done the same thing... include it, but admit it was the obvious move.

I am half surprised Quinn is accepting it and not holding out.

I'd put signing Carrington ahead of drafting M. Sam. As far as significance to the team drafting Sam could end up have minimal impact when it comes to success.
Or it could even have negative impact if he doesn't make the team and blames his sexual orientation rather than his play for that. I still hope for the best, and it was a good risk in the 7th round.